The wide-angle bicone antenna terminated by a spherical cap is investigated. The antenna radiation patterns have been observed for various values of where represents the phase constant and represents the conical length. It is seen that for large values of the radiation pattern is limited within an angular sector bounded by the cones of the antenna. Next the antenna is optimized for ultra-wideband (UWB) operation through the use of loading techniques. The transient wideband radiated and received responses of the antenna have been observed and the relationship between the wave shapes of the transient field and the input pulse have been determined.
Tapan Kumar Sarkar,
Eric L. Mokole,
"Design of a Wide-Angle Biconical Antenna for Wideband Communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 16, 229-245, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09061508
1. Schelkunoff, S. A., Electromagnetic Waves, Vol. 9, Van Nostrand, New York, 1943.
2. Smith, P. D. P., "The conical dipole of wide-angle," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 19, 11-23, 1948. doi:10.1063/1.1697866
3. Papas, C. H. and R. W. P. King, "Input impedance of wide-angle conical antennas fed by a coaxial line," Proceedings IRE, Vol. 37, 1269-1271, 1949. doi:10.1109/JRPROC.1949.234607
4. Papas, C. H. and R. W. P. King, "Radiations from wide-angle conical antenna fed by a coaxial line," Proceeding IRE, Vol. 39, 49-51, 1951. doi:10.1109/JRPROC.1951.230420
5. Sandler, S. S. and R. P. W. King, "Compact conical antenna for wide-band coverage," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 42, 436-439, Mar. 1994. doi:10.1109/8.280735
6. Samaddar, S. N. and E. L. Mokole, "Biconical antenna with unequal cone angles," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 2, 181-193, 1998. doi:10.1109/8.660962
7. Kolundzija, B. M., J. S. Ognjanovic, and T. K. Sarkar, WIPL-D: Software for Electromagnetic Analysis of Composite Wire, Plate and Dielectric Structures, Artech House, 1995.
8. Ghosh, D., A. De, M. C. Taylor, T. K. Sarkar, M. C. Wicks, and E. Mokole, "Transmission and reception by ultra wideband (UWB) antennas," IEEE Antenna and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 48, No. 5, 66-99, Oct. 2006.
9. Sarkar, T. K., M. C. Wicks, M. Salazar-Palma, and R. J. Bonneau, "Smart Antennas," Wiley-IEEE Press, Apr. 22 2003.
10. Harrison, C. W. and R. W. P. King, "On the transient response of an infinite cylindrical antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, 301-302, 1967. doi:10.1109/TAP.1967.1138907
11. Kanda, M., "Time domain sensors and radiators," Time Domain Measurements in Electromagnetics, Vol. 5, E. K. Miller (ed.), Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1986.
12. Chisholm, W. A. and W. Janischewskyj, "Lightning surge response of ground electrodes," IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, Vol. 4, No. 2, 1329-1337, Apr. 1989. doi:10.1109/61.25620
13. Baba, Y. and V. A. Rakov, "On the interpretation of ground reflections observed in small-scale experiments simulating lightning strikes to towers," IEEE Trans. on EMC, Vol. 47, No. 3, 533-542, Aug. 2005.