Central Force Optimization (CFO) is a new multi-dimensional search metaheuristic based on the metaphor of gravitational kinematics. In this paper, for the first time, the CFO is applied to the optimal design of multilayer microwave absorbers (for normal incidence) in a specific frequency range. Several numerical examples are presented, in which the CFO results are compared with those found by other evolutionary algorithms. It is shown that the CFO results are comparable to those found by the self-adaptive differential evolution (SADE) algorithm and better than those found by particle swarm optimization (PSO) and gravitational search algorithm (GSA).
Nihad I. Dib,
"Design of Multilayer Microwave Broadband Absorbers Using Central Force Optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 26, 101-113, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10090103
1. Feng, Y. B., T. Qiu, and C. Y. Shen, "Absorbing properties and structural design of microwave absorbers based on carbonyl iron and barium ferrite," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 318, No. 1--2, 8-13, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.jmmm.2007.04.012
2. Macedo, J., M. de Sousa, and V. Dmitriev, "Optimization of wide band multilayer microwave absorbers for any angle of incidence and arbitrary polarization," Microwave and Optoelectronics, 558-561, 2005.
3. Chew, W. C., Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media, IEEE Press, New York, 1995.
4. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, John Wiley, 1989.
5. Ciuprina, G., D. Ioan, and I. Munteanu, "Use of intelligent-particle swarm optimization in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 38, No. 2, 1037-1040, March 2002. doi:10.1109/20.996266
6. Robinson, J. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Particle swarm optimization in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 2, 397-407, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.823969
7. Chamaani, S., S. Mirtaheri, and M. Shooredeli, "Design of very thin wide band absorbers using modified local best particle swarm optimization," AEU | Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 62, 549-556, 2008.
8. Feoktistov, V., Differential Evolution: In Search of Solutions, Springer Science, 2006.
9. Tvrdík, J., V. Pavliska, and H. Habiballa, Stochastic Self-adaptive Algorithms for Global Optimization --- MATLAB and C++ Library, http://albert.osu.cz/oukip/optimization/.
10. Goudos, S., "Design of microwave broadband absorbers using a self-adaptive differential evolution algorithm," Int. J. RF and Microwave CAE, Vol. 19, 364-372, May 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC10041310
11. Dib, N., M. Asi, and A. Sabbah, "On the optimal design of multilayer microwave absorbers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 13, 171-185, 2010. doi:10.1016/j.ins.2009.03.004
12. Rashedi, E., H. Nezamabadi-pour, and S. Saryazdi, "GSA: A gravitational search algorithm," Information Sciences, Vol. 179, 2232-2248, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER07082403
13. Formato, R. A., "Central force optimization: A new metaheuristic with applications in applied electromanetics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 425-491, 2007. doi:10.1504/IJBIC.2009.024721
14. Formato, R. A., "Central force optimization: A new gradient-like metaheuristic for multidimensional search and optimization," International Journal of Bio-inspired Computation, Vol. 1, No. 4, 217-238, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2009.0147
15. Mohammad, G., N. Dib, and R. A. Formato, "Antenna benchmark performance and array synthesis using central force optimization," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, No. 5, 583-592, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB09112309
16. Formato, R. A., "Improved CFO algorithm for antenna optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 19, 405-425, 2010.
17. Qubati, G. and N. Dib, "Microstrip patch antenna optimization using modified central force optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 21, 281-298, 2010. doi:10.1109/22.238519
18. Michielssen, E., J.-M. Sajer, S. Ranjithant, and R. Mittra, "Design of lightweight, broad-band microwave absorbers using genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 4, 1024-1030, 1993. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2008.0059
19. Jiang, L., J. Cui, L. Shi, and X. Li, "Pareto optimal design of multilayer microwave absorbers for wide-angle incidence using genetic algorithms," IET Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 4, 572-579, June 009.