This paper proposes a new approach for efficiently determining the unwanted interfering samples in the reference window, for the ordered statistics constant false alarm rate detector, based on the application of the information theoretic criteria principle. The proposed processor termed as Forward Automatic Order Selection Ordered Statistics Detector (FAOSOSD) does not require any prior information about the number of interfering targets. The proposed design aims to improve the Ordered Statistics Constant False Alarm Rate detector performance under severe interference situations. The number of interfering targets is obtained by minimizing the information theoretic criteria. Simulation results that illustrate the performance of the proposed method versus the classical OS-CFAR, the AND-CFAR and the OR-CFAR detectors are presented and discussed.
"Automatic Threshold Selection in Os-CFAR Radar Detection Using Information Theoretic Criteria," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 30, 157-175, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERB10122502
1. Skolnik, M. I., Introduction to Radar Systems, 3rd Ed., McGraw-Hill Book Company Wiley-Interscience, USA, 2001.
2. Gini, F., A. Farina, and M. Greco, "Selected list of references on radar signal processing," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 29, No. 1, 329-360, Jan. 2001. doi:10.1109/7.913696
3. Skolnik, M. I., Radar Handbook, 3rd Ed., McGraw-Hill, USA, 2008.
4. Liu, N. N., J. Li, and Y. Cui, "A new detection algorithm based on CFAR for radar image with homogeneous background," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 13-22, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10061201
5. Habib, M. A., M. Barkat, B. Aissa, and T. A. Denidni, "CA-CFAR detection performance of radar targets embedded in ``non centred Chi-2 Gamma" clutter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 135-148, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08092203
6. Barkat, M., Signal Detection and Estimation, 2nd Ed., Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2005.
7. Rohling, H. , "Radar CFAR thresholding in clutter and multiple target situations," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 19, 608-621, Jul. 1983. doi:10.1109/TAES.1983.309350
8. Rickard, J. T. and M. Dillard, "Adaptive detection algorithms for multiple target situations," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 13, No. 4, 338-343, Jul. 1977. doi:10.1109/TAES.1977.308466
9. Barkat, M., S. D. Himonas, and P. K. Varshney, "CFAR detection for multiple target situations," IEE Proceedings, Vol. 136, No. 5, 1989.
10. El Mashade, M. B., S. D. Himonas, and P. K. Varshney, "Analysis of the censored-mean level CFAR processor in multiple target and uniform clutter," IEE Proceedings Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 142, No. 5, 259-266, 1995. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:19951985
11. Himonas, S. D. and M. Barkat, "Automatic censored CFAR detection for nonhomogeneous envirments," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 28, No. 1, 286-304, Jan. 1992. doi:10.1109/7.135454
12. Farrouki, A. and M. Barkat, "Automatic censoring CFAR detector based on ordered data variability for nonhomogeneous envirenments," IEE Proc., Radar, Sonar, Navig., Vol. 152, No. 1, Feb. 2005. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:20045006
13. Finn, H. M. and R. S. Johnson, "Adaptive detection mode with threshold control as a function of spatially sampled clutter level estimates," RCA Review, Vol. 29, 414-464, Sep. 1968.
14. Hansen, V. G. and J. H. Sawyers, "Detectability loss due to greatest of selection in a cell-averaging CFAR," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 16, 115-118, Jan. 1980. doi:10.1109/TAES.1980.308885
15. Trunk, G. V., "Range resolution of targets using automatic detection," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 14, No. 5, 750-755, Sep. 1978. doi:10.1109/TAES.1978.308625
16. Khalighi, M. A. and G. M. Bastani, "Adaptive CFAR processor for nonhomogeneous environments," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 36, No. 3, 889-897, Jul. 2000. doi:10.1109/7.869508
17. Gandhi , P. P. and A. Kassam, "Analysis of CFAR processors in nonhomogenous background," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 24, No. 4, 427-445, Jul. 1988. doi:10.1109/7.7185
18. Qu, Y. and C. K. Nemai, "Novel CFAR detection," Third International conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, ICECE 2004, Dec. 2004.
19. El Mashade, M. B., "Analysis of CFAR detection of fluctuating targets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 2, 65-94, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERC08020802
20. Xue, W. and X.-W. Sun, "Multiple targets detection method based on binary hough transform and adaptive time-frequency filtering ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 309-317, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07051406
21. El Mashade, M. B., "Performance analysis of OS structure of CFAR detectors in fluctuating target environments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 2, 127-158, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERC08022807
22. Grunwald , P. D., I. J. Myung, and M. A. Pitt, Advances in Minimum Description Length Theory and Applications, The MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, London, England, 2005.
23. Wax, M. and T. Kailath, "Detection of signals by information theoritic criteria,", Vol. 33, No. 2, Apr. 1985.
24. Magaz, B., A. Belouchrani, and M. Hamadouche, "Automatic order selection for OS-CFAR detection improvement under severe interference situations using information theoretic criteria," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Proc. International Radar Conference , Oct. 2009.