During the last decade, selective photonic crystal filters have received much research interest in the fields of nanotechnology and optical interconnection network. The main focus of this paper consists of an analysis and a synthesis of one-dimensional photonic crystal selective filters. The optimization is performed by employing the simulated annealing algorithm. The filters synthesis is obtained by acting on the Bragg grating layer widths. Simulated annealing is applied to solve the PhC-1D filters synthesis problem in order to reduce the quadratic error and to obtain a desired transmission according to a Gaussian function defined in advance by the user. Starting from the Maxwell's equations for dielectric nonmagnetic structure, we show the derivation of the Helmholtz equation and find its solution for 1D layered structure. In addition, the boundary conditions and equation transformation to set of linear equations which are solved using Cramer‟s method are described thoroughly. This mathematical technique is then applied for computation of the transmission spectra of 1D perfectly periodic structure and structures with different defects. These results can be easily applied for design of selective filters.
Hadjira Abri Badaoui,
"One-Dimensional Photonic Crystal Selective Filters Design Using Simulated Annealing Optimization Technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 53, 107-125, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB13052503
1. Badaoui, H., M. Feham, and M. Abri, "Double bends and Y-shaped splitter design for integrated optics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 28, 129-138, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL11102404
2. Shambat, G., M. S. Mirotznik, G. Euliss, V. O. Smolski, E. G. Johnson, and R. A. Athal, "Photonic crystal filters for multi-band optical filtering on a monolithic substrate," Journal of Nanophotonics, Vol. 3, 031506, 2009. doi:10.1117/1.3110223
3. Rumpf, R. C., A. Mehta, P. Srinivasan, and E. G. Johnson, "Design and optimization of space-variant photonic crystal filters," Appl. Opt., Vol. 46, No. 23, 5755-5761, 2007. doi:10.1364/AO.46.005755
4. Solli, D. R., J. J. Morehead, C. F. McCormick, and J. M. Hickmann, "Revisiting photon tunneling through finite 1-D dielectric photonic crystals," Slow and Fast Light, Optical Society of America, 2008.
5. Baldycheva, A., V. A. Tolmachev, T. S. Perova, Y. A. Zharova, E. V. Astrova, and K. Berwick, "Silicon photonic crystal filter with ultrawide passband characteristics," Optics Letters, Vol. 36, No. 10, 1854-1856, 2011. doi:10.1364/OL.36.001854
6. Awasthi, S. K., U. Malaviya, and S. P. Ojha, "Enhancement of omnidirectional total-reflection wavelength range by using one-dimensional ternary photonic bandgap material," Journal of the Optical Society of America B, Vol. 23, 2566-2571, 2006. doi:10.1364/JOSAB.23.002566
7. Preble, S., M. Lipson, and H. Lipson, "Two-dimenisional photonic crystals designed by evolutionary algorithms," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 86, 061111, 2005. doi:10.1063/1.1862783
8. Painter, O., JelenaVuckovic, and A. Scherer, "Defect modes of a two-dimensional photonic crystal in an optically thin dielectric slab," Journal of the Optical Society of America B, Vol. 16, No. 2, 275-285, February 1999. doi:10.1364/JOSAB.16.000275
9. Muorino, A., C. Trucco, and S. Reggazoni, "Synthesis of unequally spaced arrays by simulated annealing," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, 119-122, 1996.
10. Morris, D., "Simulated annealing applied to the misell algorithm for phase retrieval," IEE Proceedings --- Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 143, 29-38, 1996.
11. Coleman, C. M., E. J. Rothwell, and J. E. Ross, "Investigation of simulated annealing ant-colony optimization, and genetic algorithms for self-structuring antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 100-104, 2004.
12. Abri, M., N. Boukli-hacene, and F. T. Bendimerad, "Application du recuit simulé à la synthµese d'antennes en réseau constituées d'éléments annulaires imprimés," Annales des Télécommunications, Vol. 60, No. 11, 1420-1438, 2005.
13. Hedman, B. A., "An earlier date for `Cramer's Rule'," Historia Mathematica, Vol. 4, No. 26, 36-368, 1999.
14. Arel, I. and K. Habgood, "A condensation-based application of Crame's rule for solving large-scale linear systems," Journal of Discrete Algorithms, Vol. 10, 98-109, 2012.
15. Kirkpatrik, S., C. D. Gelliatt, and M. P. Vecchi, "Optimization by simulated annealing," Science, Vol. 220, No. 4598, 372-377, 1983.
16. Rees, S. and R. C. Ball, "Criteria for an optimum simulated annealing schedule for problems of the travelling salesman type," J. Phy. A.: Math. Gen., Vol. 20, 1239, 1987. doi:10.1088/0305-4470/20/5/032
17. Corana, A., M. Marchesi, C. Martini, and S. Ridella, "Minimising multimodal functions of continuous variables with the `simulated annealing' algorithm," ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software, Vol. 13, 262-280, 1987. doi:10.1145/29380.29864