In this paper, we focus on the problem of optimizing plasmonic structures. A plasmon-assisted waveguide coupler is considered as a test problem, which leads to a five-dimensional optimization problem carried out by an evolution strategy (ES). The optimization results are verified by a comparative analysis between different solvers, i.e., the finite element package CONCEPTs and the multiple multipole program (MMP). We also compared with results obtained using a deterministic optimization algorithm, namely the Nedler-Mead method as implemented in the commercial software package COMSOL Multiphysics. Some issues concerning deterministic versus evolutionary optimization, in particular, in the field of plasmonics have been discussed.
Sascha M. Schnepp,
"Optimization of a Plasmon-Assisted Waveguide Coupler Using FEM and Mmp," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 59, 219-229, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERB14030703
1. Anker, J. N., W. P. Hall, O. Lyandres, N. C. Shah, J. Zhao, and R. P. Van Duyne, "Biosensing with plasmonic nanosensors," Nature Materials, Vol. 7, No. 6, 442-453, 2008. doi:10.1038/nmat2162
2. Baron, A., E. Devaux, J.-C. Rodier, J.-P. Hugonin, E. Rousseau, C. Genet, T. W. Ebbesen, and P. Lalanne, "Compact antenna for efficient and unidirectional launching and decoupling of surface plasmons," Nano Letters, Vol. 11, No. 10, 4207-4212, 2011. doi:10.1021/nl202135w
4. Esslinger, M., W. Khunsin, N. Talebi, T. Wei, J. DorfmÄuller, R. Vogelgesang, and K. Kern, "Phase engineering of subwavelength unidirectional plasmon launchers," Advanced Optical Materials, Vol. 1, No. 6, 434-437, 2013. doi:10.1002/adom.201300135
5. Kong, J. A., Electromagnetic Wave Theory, Wiley, New York, et al., 1986.
6. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 2012.
7. Komarevskiy, N., V. Shklover, L. Braginsky, C. Hafner, and J. Lawson, "Potential of glassy carbon and silicon carbide photonic structures as electromagnetic radiation shields for atmospheric re-entry," Optics Express, Vol. 20, No. 13, 14189-14200, 2012. doi:10.1364/OE.20.014189
8. Mihaljevic, J., J. Niegemann, S. M. Schnepp, and C. Hafner, "On the numerical modeling of sharp metallic tips," Quantum Matter, Vol. 3, No. 4, 344-354, 2014. doi:10.1166/qm.2014.1133
11. Schmidt, K. and P. Kauf, "Computation of the band structure of two-dimensional photonic crystals with hp finite elements," Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 198, No. 13, 1249-1259, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.cma.2008.06.009
12. Schmidt, K. and R. Kappeler, "Efficient computation of photonic crystal waveguide modes with dispersive material," Optics Express, Vol. 18, No. 7, 7307-7322, 2010. doi:10.1364/OE.18.007307
13. Nelder, J. A. and R. Mead, "A simplex method for function minimization," Computer Journal,, Vol. 7, No. 4, 308-313, 1965. doi:10.1093/comjnl/7.4.308
14. Bonnans, J.-F., J. C. Gilbert, C. Lemarechal, and C. A. Sagastizabal, Numerical Optimization: Theoretical and Practical Aspects, Springer, 2006.