Electromagnetic imaging is based upon the fundamentals of electromagnetic (EM) fields and their relationship with the material properties under evaluation. A new system based on a Giant Magneto-Resistive (GMR) sensor array was built to capture the scattered EM signal returned by metallic objects. This paper evaluates the new system's capabilities through the classification of metallic objects based on features extracted from their response to EM fields. A novel amplitude variation feature as well as the combinations of typical features is proposed to obtain high classification rates. The selected features of metallic objects are then applied to well-known supervisedclassifiers (ANN and SVM) to detect and classify `threat' items. A collection of handguns with other commonly used metallic objects are tested. Promising results show that a high classification rate is achieved using the proposed new combination features and classification framework. This novel procedure has the potential to produce significant improvements in automatic weapon detection and classification.
Abdalrahman R. Al-Qubaa,
Gui Yun Tian,
"Threat Target Classification Using ANN and SVM Based on a New Sensor Array System," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 61, 69-85, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERB14050704
1. Agurto, A., Y. Li, G. Y. Tian, N. Bowring, and S. Lockwood, "A review of concealed weapon detection and research in perspective," Proceedings of the 2007 IEEE International Conference on Networking, Sensing and Control, 443-448, 2007. doi:10.1109/ICNSC.2007.372819
2. Zhuge, X. and A. G. Yarovoy, "A sparse aperture MIMO-SAR-based UWB imaging system for concealed weapon detection," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 49, 509-518, 2011. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2010.2053038
3. Kapilevich, B. and M. Einat, "Detecting hidden objects on human body using active millimeter wave sensor," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 10, 1746-1652, 2010. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2010.2049350
4. Cooper, K. B., R. J. Dengler, N. Llombart, B. Thomas, G. Chattopadhyay, and P. H. Siegel, "THz imaging radar for standoff personnel screening," IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 1, 169-182, 2011. doi:10.1109/TTHZ.2011.2159556
5. Dale, K. K., G. R. Lyle, and E. P. Robert, "Detection and classification of concealed weapons using a magnetometer-based portal," Proc. SPIE, Sensors and Command, Control, Communications, and Intelligence (C3I) Technologies for Homeland Defense and Law Enforcement, 145-155, 2002.
6. Nelson, C. V., "Metal detection and classification technologies," Johns Hopkins APL Technical Digest, Vol. 24, 62-66, 2004.
7. Singh, S. and M. Singh, "Explosives detection systems (EDS) for aviation security," An International Journal on Signal Processing, Vol. 83, 31-55, 2003. doi:10.1016/S0165-1684(02)00391-2
8. Paulter, N. G, "Guide to the technologies of concealed weapon and contraband imaging and detection,", NIJ Guide 602-002001, 2001.
9. Chen, H.-M., S. Lee, R. M. Rao, M. A. Slamani, and P. K. Varshney, "Imaging for concealed weapon detection: A tutorial overview of development in imaging sensors and processing," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 22, 52-61, 2005. doi:10.1109/MSP.2005.1406480
10. Yin, W., G. Chen, L. Chen, and B. Wang, "The design of a digital magnetic induction tomography (MIT) system for metallic object imaging based on half cycle demodulation," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 11, 2233-2233, 2011. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2011.2128866
11. Tran, M. D. J., C. P. Lim, C. Abeynayake, and L. C. Jain, "Feature extraction and classification of metal detector signals using the wavelet transform and the fuzzy ARTMAP neural network," Journal of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems, Vol. 21, 89-99, 2010.
12. Gonzalez, R. C., Digital Image Processing, 2nd Ed., Prentice-Hall Inc., 2003.
13. Kruger, H. and H. Ewald, "Signal processing and pattern recognition for eddy current sensors, used for effective land-mine detection," Autonomous and Intelligent Systems, Vol. 6752, 294-302, 2011. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-21538-4_29
14. Xi, M., M. R. Azimi-Sadjadi, T. Bin, A. C. Dubey, and N. H. Witherspoon, "Detection of mines and minelike targets using principal component and neural-network methods," IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol. 9, 454-463, 1998. doi:10.1109/72.668887
15. Fernandez, J., B. Barrowes, K. O’Neill, K. Paulsen, I. Shamatava, F. Shubitidze, and K. Sun, "Evaluation of SVM classification of metallic objects based on a magneticdipole representation," Detection and Remediation Technologies for Mines and Minelike Targets XI, Vol. 621703, 2006.
16. Figuera, C., J. L. Rojo-Alvarez, M. Wilby, I. Mora-Jimenez, and A. J. Caamano, "Advanced support vector machines for 802.11 indoor location," An International Journal on Signal Processing, Vol. 92, 2126-2136, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2012.01.026
17. Al-Qubaa, A. R. and G. Y. Tian, "Automatic threat object classification based on extracted features from electromagnetic imaging system," 2012 IEEE International Conference on Imaging Systems and Techniques (IST), 164-169, 2012. doi:10.1109/IST.2012.6295536
18. Al-Qubaa, A., G. Y. Tian, and J. Wilson, "Electromagnetic imaging system for weapon detection and classification," Fifth International Conference on Sensor Technologies and Applications, 317-321, France, 2011.
19. Flusser, J., T. Suk, and B. Zitova, Moments and Moment Invariants in Pattern Recognition, John Wiley & Sons, 2009. doi:10.1002/9780470684757
20. Air Force Research Laboratory, Final technical report: Sensor fusion algorithms and performance limits, Available: http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA391935, 2011.
21. Hendrik, K. and E. Hartmut, "Signal processing and pattern recognition for eddy current sensors, used for effective land-mine detection," Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Autonomous and Intelligent Systems, Vol. 294, No. 302, Burnaby, BC, Canada, 2011.
22. Sophian, A., G. Y. Tian, D. Taylor, and J. Rudlin, "A feature extraction technique based on principal component analysis for pulsed Eddy current NDT," NDT and E International, Vol. 36, 37-41, 2003. doi:10.1016/S0963-8695(02)00069-5
23. Turhan-Sayan, G., "Real time electromagnetic target classification using a novel feature extraction technique with PCA-based fusion," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 766-776, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.841326
24. Li, Y., G. Y. Tian, N. J. Bowring, and N. Rezgui, "A microwave measurement system for metallic object detection using swept frequency radar," Proc. SPIE, 13 pages, 2008.
25. Al-Qubaa, A. R., G. Y. Tian, J. Wilson, W. L. Woo, and S. Dlay, "Feature extraction using normalized cross-correlation for pulsed eddy current thermographic images," Measurement Science and Technology, Vol. 21, 115501-115511, 2010. doi:10.1088/0957-0233/21/11/115501
26. Tian, G. Y., A. Al-Qubaa, and J.Wilson, "Design of an electromagnetic imaging system for weapon detection based on GMR sensor arrays," Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol. 174, 75-84, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.sna.2011.11.034
27. Al-Qubaa, A. and G. Y. Tian, "Weapon detection and classification based on time-frequency analysis of electromagnetic transient images," International Journal on Advances in Systems and Measurements, Vol. 5, 89-99, 2012.
28. Nixon, M. and A. S. Aguado, Feature Extraction & Image Processing, 2nd Ed., Elsevier Ltd., 2008.
29. Rizon, M., H. Yazid, P. Saad, A. Shakaff, A. Saad, M. Mamat, S. Yaacob, H. Desa, and M. Karthigayan, "Object detection using geometric invariant moment," American Journal of Applied Sciences, Vol. 2, 1876-1878, 2006.
30. Pourghassem, H., O. Sharifi-Tehrani, and M. Nejati, "A novel weapon detection algorithm in Xray dual-energy images based on connected component analysis and shape features," Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, Vol. 5, 300-307, 2011.
32. Chang, C. C. and C. J. Lin, "LIBSVM: A library for support vector machines," ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology, Vol. 2, 2011.
33. Arora, S., D. Bhattacharjee, M. Nasipuri, L. Malik, M. Kundu, and D. K. Basu, "Performance comparison of SVM and ANN for handwritten devnagari character recognition," IJCSI International Journal of Computer Science Issues, Vol. 7, 1-10, 2010.
34. Al-Qubaa, A., "An electromagnetic imaging system for metallic object detection and classification,", Ph.D. Thesis, Newcastle University, UK, 2013.