A planar compact multiband monopole antenna is presented for ultra-slim mobile handsets applications. The proposed antenna operates over 0.885 GHz-0.962 GHz and 1.69 GHz-3.8 GHz frequency bands with -6 dB impedance bandwidth that covers GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, UMTS, IMT2100, WLAN, WiMAX along with most of the higher LTE bands of modern mobile phone applications. The radiation characteristics of the antenna is analyzed in term of radiation patterns, peak realized gain, total radiation efficiency, and surface current distribution. The radiation patterns of the proposed antenna is dipole like which is suitable for mobile applications with 73-93% total radiation efficiency. The proposed antenna is investigated in free space as well as in actual mobile environment consisting of mobile plastic housing along with large metallic display screen and battery. No significant effect on the operating bands of the mobile antenna due to the actual mobile environment on the impedance bandwidth is observed. Specific absorption rate (SAR) computation is carried out on human head phantom. The computed values of SAR lie well below the specified limit over 1 g and 10 g of tissues. The parametric analysis is also carried out to understand the effect of the shape parameters.
Pradutt Kumar Bharti,
Gaurav Kumar Pandey,
Hari Shankar Singh,
Manoj Kumar Meshram,
"A Compact Multiband Planar Monopole Antenna for Slim Mobile Handset Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 61, 31-42, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERB14062706
1. Seko, M. H. and F. S. Correra, "A novel tri-band planar inverted-F antenna for GSM/DCS/PCS operation in mobile handsets," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, 821-825, 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27441
4. Rao, B. R., M. A. Smolinski, C. C. Quach, E. N. Rosario, "Triple-band GPS trap-loaded inverted L antenna array," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 38, 35-37, 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.10963
5. Rhyu, H., J. Byun, F. J. Harackiewicz, M.-J. Park, K. Jung, D. Kim, N. Kim, T. Kim, and B. Lee, "Multi-band hybrid antenna for ultra-thin mobile phone applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, 773-774, 2009. doi:10.1049/el.2009.1530
6. Anguera, J., I. Sanz, J. Mumbru, and C. Puente, "Multiband handset antenna with a parallel excitation of PIFA and slot radiators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Prop., Vol. 58, 348-356, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2038183
7. Lin, D.-B., I.-T. Tang, and M.-Z. Hong, "A compact quad-band PIFA by tuning the defected ground structure for mobile phones," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 24, 173-189, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10070608
8. Meshram, M. K., R. K. Animeh, A. T. Pimpale, and N. K. Nikolova, "A novel quad-band diversity antenna for LTE andWi-Fi applications with high isolation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Prop., Vol. 60, 4360-4371, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207044
9. Agarwal, M., R. Singh, and M. K. Meshram, "Linearly polarized planar inverted F-antenna for global positioning system and worldwide interoperability for microwave access applications," IET Microwave Antennas Prop., Vol. 7, 991-998, 2013. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2013.0025
10. Chi, Y.-W. and K.-L. Wong, "Compact multiband folded loop chip antenna for small-size mobile phone," IEEE Trans. Antennas Prop., Vol. 56, 3797-3803, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2007280
11. Chiu, C.-W., C.-H. Chang, and Y.-J. Chi, "Multiband folded loop antenna for smart phones," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 213-226, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10011601
12. Peng, C.-M., I.-F. Chen, and C.-T. Chien, "A novel hexa-band antenna for mobile handsets application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Prop., Vol. 59, 3427-3432, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2161447
13. Wong, K.-L., G.-Y. Lee, and T.-W. Chiou, "A low-profile planar monopole antenna for multiband operation of mobile handsets," IEEE Trans. Antennas Prop., Vol. 51, 121-125, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.809044
14. Sim, D.-U., J.-I. Moon, and S.-O. Park, "An internal triple-band antenna for PCS/IMT- 2000/Bluetooth applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Prop. Lett., Vol. 3, 23-25, 2004. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2004.827903
15. Shin, Y.-S., S.-O. Park, and M. Lee, "A broadband interior antenna of planar monopole type in handsets," IEEE Antennas Wireless Prop. Lett., Vol. 4, 9-12, 2005. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2004.841623
16. Jing, X., Z. Du, and K. Gong, "A compact multiband planar antenna for mobile handsets," IEEE Antennas Wireless Prop. Lett., Vol. 5, 343-345, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.880690
17. Du, Z., K. Gong, and J. S. Fu, "A novel compact wide-band planar antenna for mobile handsets," IEEE Trans. Antennas Prop., Vol. 54, 613-619, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.863088
18. Li, R. L., B. Pan, J. Laskar, M. M. Tentzeris, "A novel low-profile broadband dual-frequency planar antenna for wireless handsets," IEEE Trans. Antennas Prop., Vol. 56, 1155-1162, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.919171
19. Chen, J.-H., C.-J. Ho, C.-H. Wu, S.-Y. Chen, and P. Hsu, "Dual-band planar monopole antenna for multiband mobile systems," IEEE Antennas Wireless Prop. Lett., Vol. 7, 769-772, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2008110
20. Hsieh, H.-W., Y.-C. Lee, K.-K. Tiong, and J.-S. Sun, "Design of a multiband antenna for mobile handset operations," IEEE Antennas Wireless Prop. Lett., Vol. 8, 200-203, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2011655
21. Liao, W.-J., S.-H. Chang, and L.-K. Li, "A compact planar multiband antenna for integrated mobile devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 1-16, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10083001
22. Kang, G. and Z. Du, "A novel compact broadband printed monopole antenna for mobile handsets," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, 118-121, 2011. doi:10.1002/mop.25680
23. Asghar, A. M., M. Malick, M. Karlsson, and A. Hussain, "A multiwideband planar monopole antenna for 4G devices," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, 589-593, 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27360
24. Sultan, K. S., H. H. Abdullah, E. A. Abdallah, and E. A. Hashish, "Low-SAR, miniaturized printed antenna for mobile, ISM, and WLAN services," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Prop. Lett., Vol. 12, 1106-1109, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2280955
25. Chen, I.-F. and C.-M. Peng, "Compact modified pentaband meander-line antenna for mobile handsets applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Prop. Lett., Vol. 10, 607-610, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2159471
27. CST Microwave Studio [Online], Available: http://www.cst.com.
28. Test plan for mobile station over the air performance, CTIA revision 3.1, January 2011.
29. Durney, C. H., H. Massoudi, and M. F. Iskander, Radiofrequency Radiation Dosimetry Handbook, 4/e, USAF School of Aerospace Medicine, Aerospace Medical Division (AFSC), Brook Air Force Base, Texas, Rep. USAF-SAM-TR-85-73, October 1986.