This work presents experimental investigations of three-dimensional (3-D) far-field holographic microwave imaging (HMI) method for diagnosing inclusions within dielectric objects, and in particular, it relates to electromagnetic imaging to reconstruct dielectric properties of inhomogeneous, lossy bodies with arbitrary shape. The apparatus is designed for operation at a single frequency of 12.6 GHz. 16 antennas are located on a 2-D array plane which is placed under the object in the far-field region, with air in the space between the antenna array and the object. Experimental results indicate that the 3-D HMI system has the ability to produce a 3-D image of multimedia dielectric object and detect small inclusions embedded within an object. The invention has potential application to tissue imaging.
Ahmed M. Al-Jumaily,
"Three-Dimensional Far-Field Holographic Microwave Imaging: an Experimental Investigation of Dielectric Object," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 61, 169-184, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERB14101502
1. Manickavasagan, A. and H. Jayasuriya, "Imaging with electromagnetic spectrum," Applications in Food and Agriculture, 108, Springer, Heidelberg, New York, Dordrecht, London, 2014.
2. Jofre, L., M. S. Hawley, A. Broquetas, E. de Los Reyes, M. Ferrando, and A. R. Elias-Fuste, "Medical imaging with a microwave tomographic scanner," IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 37, No. 3, 303-312, 1990. doi:10.1109/10.52331
3. Mehta, P., K. Chand, D. Narayanswamy, D. G. Beetner, R. Zoughi, and W. V. Stoecker, "Microwave reflectometry as a novel diagnostic tool for detection of skin cancers," IEEE Trans. on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 55, No. 4, 1309-1316, 2006. doi:10.1109/TIM.2006.876566
4. Sheen, D. M., D. L. McMakin, and T. E. Hall, "Three-dimensional millimeter-wave imaging for concealed weapon detection," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, No. 9, 1581-1592, 2001. doi:10.1109/22.942570
5. Fear, E. C., S. C. Hagness, P. M. Meaney, M. Okoniewski, and M. A. Stuchly, "Enhancing breast tumor detection with near-field imaging," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 3, No. 1, 48-56, 2002. doi:10.1109/6668.990683
6. Li, X., E. J. Bond, B. D. Van Veen, and S. C. Hagness, "An overview of ultra-wideband microwave imaging via space-time beamforming for early-stage breast-cancer detection," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 47, No. 1, 19-34, 2005. doi:10.1109/MAP.2005.1436217
7. Sill, J. M. and E. C. Fear, "Tissue sensing adaptive radar for breast cancer detection-experimental investigation of simple tumor models," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3312-3319, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.857330
8. Xie, Y., B. Guo, L. Xu, J. Li, and P. Stoica, "Multistatic adaptive microwave imaging for early breast cancer detection," IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 53, No. 8, 1647-1657, 2005. doi:10.1109/TBME.2006.878058
9. Davis, S. K., H. Tandradinata, S. C. Hagness, B. D. Van Veen, and , "Ultrawideband microwave breast cancer detection: A detection-theoretic approach using the generalized likelihood ratio test," IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 52, No. 7, 1237-1250, 2005. doi:10.1109/TBME.2005.847528
10. Hassan, A. M. and E. L. Shenawee, "Review of electromagnetic techniques for breast cancer detection," IEEE Reviews in Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 4, 103-118, 2011. doi:10.1109/RBME.2011.2169780
11. Klemm, M., I. J. Craddock, J. A. Leendertz, A. Preece, and R. Benjamin, "Radar-based breast cancer detection using a hemispherical antenna array — Experimental results," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 6, 1692-1704, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2019856
12. Klemm, M., J. Leendertz, D. Gibbins, I. J. Craddock, A. Preece, and R. Benjamin, "Microwave radar-based differential breast cancer imaging: Imaging in homogeneous breast phantoms and low contrast scenarios," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2337-2344, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2048860
13. Fang, Q., P. M. Meaney, S. D. Geimer, A. V. Streltsov, and K. D. Paulsen, "Microwave image reconstruction from 3-D fields coupled to 2-D parameter estimation," IEEE Trans. on Medical Imaging, Vol. 23, No. 4, 475-484, 2004. doi:10.1109/TMI.2004.824152
14. Rubæk, T., O. S. Kim, and P. Meincke, "Computational validation of a 3-D microwave imaging system for breast-cancer screening," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 7, 2105-2115, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2021879
15. Fear, E. C., "Microwave imaging of the breast," Technology in Cancer Research & Treatment, Vol. 4, No. 1, 69-82, 2005. doi:10.1177/153303460500400110
16. Tipa, R. and O. Baltag, "Microwave thermography for cancer detection," Romanian Journal of Physics, Vol. 51, No. 2-4, 371, 2006.
17. Grzegorczyk, T. M., P. M. Meaney, P. A. Kaufman, P. M. di Florio-Alexander, and K. D. Paulsen, "Fast 3-D tomographic microwave imaging for breast cancer detection," IEEE Trans. on Medical Imaging, Vol. 31, No. 8, 1584-1592, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMI.2012.2197218
18. Smith, D., M. Leach, M. Elsdon, and S. J. Foti, "Indirect holographic techniques for determining antenna radiation characteristics and imaging aperture fields," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 1, 54-67, 2007. doi:10.1109/MAP.2007.370982
19. Jayanthy, M., N. Selvanathan, M. Abu-Bakar, D. Smith, H. M. Elgabroun, P. M. Yeong, and S. S. Kumar, "Microwave holographic imaging technique for tumour detection," 3rd Kuala Lumpur International Conference on Biomedical Engineering, 275-277, 2006.
20. Ravan, M., R. K. Amineh, and N. K. Nikolova, "Two-dimensional near-field microwave holography," Inverse Problems, Vol. 26, No. 5, 055011, 2010. doi:10.1088/0266-5611/26/5/055011
21. Amineh, R. K., M. Ravan, A. Khalatpour, and N. K. Nikolova, "Three-dimensional near-field microwave holography using reflected and transmitted signals," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 12, 4777-4789, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2165496
22. Meaney, P. M., M. W. Fanning, T. Raynolds, C. J. Fox, Q. Fang, C. A. Kogel, and K. D. Paulsen, "Initial clinical experience with microwave breast imaging in women with normal mammography," Academic Radiology, Vol. 14, No. 2, 207-218, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.acra.2006.10.016
23. Farhat, N. H., "Microwave holography and coherent tomography," Medical Applications of Microwave Imaging, 66-81, 1986.
24. Chaudhary, S. S., R. K. Mishra, A. Swarup, and J. M. Thomas, "Dielectric properties of normal and malignant human breast tissues at radiowave and microwave frequencies," Indian J. Biochem. Biophys., Vol. 21, 76-79, 1984.
25. Joines, W. T., Y. Zhang, C. Li, and R. L. Jirtle, "The measured electrical properties of normal and malignant human tissues from 50 to 900 MHz," Medical Physics, Vol. 21, No. 4, 547, 1994. doi:10.1118/1.597312
26. Gabriel, C., S. Gabriel, and E. Corthout, "The dielectric properties of biological tissues: I. Literature survey," Physics in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 41, No. 11, 2231, 1991. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/41/11/001
27. Gabriel, S., R. W. Lau, and C. Gabriel, "The dielectric properties of biological tissues: II. Measurements in the frequency range 10 Hz to 20 GHz," Physics in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 41, No. 11, 2251, 1999. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/41/11/002
28. Lazebnik, M., D. Popovic, L. McCartney, C. B. Watkins, M. J. Lindstrom, J. Harter, and S. C. Hagness, "A large-scale study of the ultrawideband microwave dielectric properties of normal, benign and malignant breast tissues obtained from cancer surgeries," Physics in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 52, No. 20, 2637, 2007. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/52/10/001
29. Abbosh, A., "Early breast cancer detection using hybrid imaging modality," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, 2009.
30. Wang, L., A. M. Al-Jumaily, and R. Simpkin, "Holographic microwave imaging array for brain stroke detection," Journal of Signal and Information Processing, Vol. 4, No. 3B, 96-101, 2013. doi:10.4236/jsip.2013.43B017
31. Wang, L., R. Simpkin, and A. M. Al-Jumaily, "Holographic microwave imaging for medical applications," Journal of Biomedical Science and Engineering, Vol. 6, 823-833, 2013. doi:10.4236/jbise.2013.68100
32. Wang, L., R. Simpkin, and A. M. Al-Jumaily, "Holographic microwave imaging array for early breast cancer detection," 2012 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, 45-51, 2012. doi:10.1115/IMECE2012-85910
33. Wang, L., R. Simpkin, and A. M. Al-Jumaily, "3D breast cancer imaging using holographic microwave interferometry," Proceedings of the 27th Conference on Image and Vision Computing, 180-185, ACM, New Zealand, 2012.
34. Wang, L., R. Simpkin, and A.M. Al-Jumaily, "Holographic microwave imaging array: Experimental investigation of breast tumour detection," 2013 IEEE International Workshop on Electromagnetics (iWEM), 61-64, 2013.
35. Wang, L., R. Simpkin, and A.M. Al-Jumaily, "Open-ended waveguide antenna for microwave breast cancer detection," 2013 IEEE International Workshop on Electromagnetics (iWEM), 65-68, 2013.
36. Wang, L., "Holographic microwave imaging for lesion detection,", Doctoral Dissertation, Auckland University of Technology, 2013.
37. Wang, L., A. M. Al-Jumaily, and R. Simpkin, "Imaging of 3-D dielectric objects using far-field holographic microwave imaging technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, 2014.
38. Levanda, R. and A. Leshem, "Synthetic aperture radio telescopes," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 27, No. 1, 14-29, 2010. doi:10.1109/MSP.2009.934719
39. Simonov, N., S. I. Jeon, S. H. Son, J. M. Lee, and H. J. Kim, "3D microwave breast imaging based on multistatic radar concept system," Journal of the Korean Institute of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, Vol. 12, No. 1, 107-114, 2012. doi:10.5515/JKIEES.2012.12.1.107