Microwave absorbers find a plethora of applications in the modern-day military and civil industries. This paper compares the performance of different variations of the Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) algorithm to obtain optimal designs for multilayer microwave absorber over different frequency ranges, angles of incidence and polarizations. The goal of this optimization is to minimize maximum overall reflection coefficient of the absorber by choosing suitable layers of materials from a predefined database and simultaneously make the overall thickness the least practically possible. Numerical optimal results for each variation of the PSO are presented and the best results are compared with those existing in literature.
Souptik Dutta Roy,
"Particle Swarm Optimization for Optimal Design of Broadband Multilayer Microwave Absorber for Wide Angle of Incidence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 62, 121-135, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERB14122602
1. Bilotti, F. and L. Vegni, "Design of metamaterial-based resonant microwave absorbers with reduced thickness and absence of a metallic backing," Metamaterials and Plasmonics: Fundamentals, Modelling, Applications, 165-174, Springer Netherlands, 2009.
2. Ramsay, J. F., "Microwave antenna and waveguide techniques before 1900," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 46, No. 2, 405-415, 1958. doi:10.1109/JRPROC.1958.286869
3. Bose, J. C., Collected Physical Papers, Longmans, Green and Co., 1927.
4. Kern, D. J. and D. H. Werner, "A genetic algorithm approach to the design of ultrathin electromagnetic bandgap absorbers," Microwave and Opt. Tech. Letters, Vol. 38, 61-64, 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.10971
5. Chakravarty, S., R. Mittra, and N. B. Williams, "Application of a microgenetic algorithms (MGA) to the design of broad-band microwave absorbers using multiple frequency selective surface screen buried in dielectrics," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, 284-296, 2002.
6. Tennant, A. and B. Chambers, "A single-layer tuneable microwave absorber using an active FSS," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Lett., Vol. 14, No. 1, 46-47, 2004. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2003.820639
7. Weile, D. S., E. Michielssen, and D. E. Goldberg, "Genetic algorithm design of Pareto optimal broadband microwave absorbers," IEEE Trans. Electromag. Compat., Vol. 38, 518-525, 1996. doi:10.1109/15.536085
8. Cui, S., D. S. Weile, and J. L. Volakis, "Novel planar electromagnetic absorber designs using genetic algorithms," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 6, 1811-1817, Jun. 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.875460
9. Macedo, J., M. de Sousa, and V. Dmitriev, "Optimization of wide band multilayer microwave absorbers for any angle of incidence and arbitrary polarization," International Conference on Microwave and Optoelectronics, 558-561, Brasilia, Brazil, 2005.
10. Giannakopoulou, T., A. Oikonomou, and G. Kordas, "Double-layer microwave absorbers based on materials with large magnetic and dielectric losses," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 271, 224-229, 2004. doi:10.1016/j.jmmm.2003.09.040
11. Saitoh, M., T. Yamamoto, H. Okino, M. Chino, and M. Kobayashi, "Double-layer type microwave absorber made of magnetic-dielectric composite," Ferroelectrics, Vol. 271, No. 1, 297-302, 2002. doi:10.1080/713716183
12. Chew, W. C., Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media, IEEE Press, New York, 1995.
13. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, John Wiley, 1989.
14. Jiang, L., J. Cui, L. Shi, and X. Li, "Pareto optimal design of multilayer microwave absorbers for wide-angle incidence using genetic algorithms," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, No. 4, 572-579, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2008.0059
16. Asi, M. J. and N. I. Dib, "Design of multilayer microwave broadband absorbers using central force optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 26, 101-113, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10090103
17. Goudos, S., "Design of microwave broadband absorbers using a self-adaptive differential evolution algorithm," Int. J. RF and Microwave CAE, Vol. 19, 364-372, May 2009. doi:10.1002/mmce.20357
18. Dib, N., M. Asi, and A. Sabbah, "On the optimal design of multilayer microwave absorbers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 13, 171-185, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10041310
19. Chamaani, S., S. A. Mirtaheri, M. Teshnehlab, M. A. Shoorehdeli, and V. Seydi, "Modified multi-objective particle swarm optimization for electromagnetic absorber design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 353-366, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07101702
20. Michielssen, E., J. Sajer, S. Ranjithan, and R. Mittra, "Design of lightweight, broad-band microwave absorbers using genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 41, No. 6-7, 1024-1031, Jun./Jul. 1993.
21. Liu, H., L. Zhang, Y. Gao, Y. Shen, and D. Shi, "Electromagnetic wave absorber optimal design based on improved particle swarm optimization," EMC 2009, 797-800, IEICE, Kyoto, 2009.
22. Kennedy, J. and R. C. Eberhart, "Particle swarm optimization," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Neural Networks, 1942-1948, Perth, Australia, 1995.
23. Li, W. T., X. W. Shi, and Y. Q. Hei, "An improved particle swarm optimization algorithm for pattern synthesis of phased arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 319-332, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08030904
24. Robinson, J. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Particle swarm optimization in electromagnetics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 2, 397-407, Feb. 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.823969
25. Jin, N. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Advances in particle swarm optimization for antenna designs: Real-number, binary, single-objective and multiobjective implementations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 3, 556-567, Mar. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.891552
26. Chen, T. B., Y. L. Dong, Y. C. Jiao, and F. S. Zhang, "Synthesis of circular antenna array using crossed particle swarm optimization algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 13, 1785-1795, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779292273
27. Boeringer, D. W. and D. H. Werner, "Particle swarm optimization versus genetic algorithms for phased array synthesis," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 3, 771-779, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.825102
18. Pathak, N. N., G. K. Mahanti, S. K. Singh, J. K. Mishra, and A. Chakraborty, "Synthesis of thinned planar circular array antennas using modified particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 12, 87-97, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09090606
29. Liang, J. J. and P. N. Suganthan, "Dynamic multi-swarm particle swarm optimizer," Proceedings 2005 IEEE Swarm Intelligence Symposium, SIS 2005, 124-129, Pasadena, California, 2005.
30. Mahmoud, K. R., M. I. Eladawy, R. Bansal, S. H. Zainud-Deen, and S. M. M. Ibrahem, "Analysis of uniform circular arrays for adaptive beamforming applications using particle swarm optimization algorithm," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 18, No. 1, 42-52, Jan. 2008. doi:10.1002/mmce.20265