In this paper, a hybrid algorithm of binary lightning search algorithm and simulated annealing (BLSA-SA) is proposed to optimize the design of multilayer microwave absorbers for normal incidence. The multilayer absorber is designed to find a set of coatings that minimize the reflection coefficient over the desired frequency. The design problem is translated into solving the binary problem. Three different design examples are presented to verify the performance of the BLSA-SA. The results show that the reflection coefficient and thickness of BLSA-SA are better than those of other heuristic algorithms for multilayer absorber design. In the five-layer design, the standard deviation of BLSA-SA is the smallest among the 20 independent test results of the algorithms, which indicates that the BLSA-SA algorithm, has a strong stability.
"Design of Multilayer Microwave Absorbers Using Hybrid Binary Lightning Search Algorithm and Simulated Annealing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 78, 75-90, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERB17060302
1. Weile, D. S., E. Michielssen, and D. E. Goldberg, "Genetic algorithm design of Pareto optimal broadband microwave absorbers," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 38, No. 3, 518, 1996. doi:10.1109/15.536085
2. Jiang, L., J. Cui, L. Shi, and X. Li, "Pareto optimal design of multilayer microwave absorbers for wide-angle incidence using genetic algorithms," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, 572, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2008.0059
3. Michielssen, E., J. M. Sajer, S. Ranjithant, and R. Mittra, "Design of lightweight, broad-band microwave absorbers using genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 41, No. 6/7, 1024, 1993. doi:10.1109/22.238519
4. Cui, S. and D. S. Weile, "Application of a parallel particle swarm optimization scheme to the design of electromagnetic absorber," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3616, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.858866
5. Goudos, S. K. and J. N. Sahalos, "Microwave absorber optimal design using multi-objective particle swarm optimization," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 8, 1553, 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.21727
6. Amaya, I. and R. Correa, "Optimal design of multilayer EMAs for frequencies between 0.85 GHz and 5.4 GHz," Revista de Ingenieria, Vol. 38, 33, 2013.
7. Goudos, S. K., "Design of microwave broadband absorbers using a self-adaptive differential evolution algorithm," Int. J. RF and Microwave CAE, Vol. 19, 364, 2009. doi:10.1002/mmce.20357
8. Dib, N., M. Asi, and A. Sabbah, "On the optimal design of multilayer microwave absorbers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 13, 171, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10041310
9. Asi, M. J. and N. I. Dib, "Design of multilayer microwave broadband absorbers using central force optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 26, 101, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10090103
10. Islam, M. M., H. Shareef, A. Mohamed, and A. Wahyudie, "A binary variant of lightning search algorithm: BLSA," Soft Comput., Vol. 21, 2971, 2017. doi:10.1007/s00500-016-2171-5
11. Shareef, H., A. A. Ibrahim, and A. H. Mutlag, "Lightning search algorithm," Appl. Soft Comput., Vol. 36, 315, 2015. doi:10.1016/j.asoc.2015.07.028
13. Najim, M., P. Smitha, V. Agarwala, and D. Singh, "Design of light weight multi-layered coating of zinc oxide-iron-graphite nano-composites for ultra-wide bandwidth microwave absorption," J. Mater. Sci., Mater. Elect., Vol. 26, 7367, 2015. doi:10.1007/s10854-015-3366-8
14. Du, M., Z. J. Yao, J. T. Zhou, P. J. Liu, T. T. Yao, and R. Yao, "Design of efficient microwave absorbers based on multi-layered polyaniline nanofibers and polyaniline nanofibers/Li0.35Zn0.3Fe2.35O4 nanocomposite," Synthetic Metals, Vol. 223, 49, 2017. doi:10.1016/j.synthmet.2016.11.039
15. Bronwel, A., "Transmission-line analogies of plane electromagnetic-wave reflections," Proceedings of the I.R.E., Vol. 32, 233, 1944. doi:10.1109/JRPROC.1944.230657
16. Ahmed, M. S., A. Mohamed, R. Z. Homod, and H. Shareef, "Hybrid LSA-ANN based home energy management scheduling controller for residential demand response strategy," Energies, 2016.
17. Metropolis, N., A. W. Rosenbluth, M. N. Rosenbluth, and A. H. Teller, "Equation of state calculations by fast computing machines," J. Chem. Phys., Vol. 21, No. 6, 1087, 1953. doi:10.1063/1.1699114
18. Rashedi, E., H. Nezamabadi-Pour, and S. Saryazdi, "GSA: A gravitational search algorithm," Information Sciences, Vol. 179, 2232, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.ins.2009.03.004
19. Formato, R. A., "Central force optimization: A new metaheuristic with applications in applied electromagnetics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 425, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07082403
20. Chamaani, S., S. A. Mirtaheri, and M. A. Shooredeli, "Design of very thin wide band absorbers using modified local best particle swarm optimization," Int. J. Electron. Commun. (AEU), Vol. 62, 549, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2007.06.001