The design of a low cost, short range radar sensor based upon a novel phase coded linear frequency waveform is discussed in this paper. The radar sensor utilizes a novel waveform that is produced using digital frequency synthesis techniques. Digital frequency synthesis techniques enable the generation of repeatable, highly linear frequency sweeps and provide a means for accurate application of phase codes to linear frequency modulations. The work presented contains analysis of the component linear frequency and phase code modulations that form the compound phase coded linear frequency modulation. The resulting compound phase coded linear frequency modulation is compared with the component modulations to demonstrate the performance improvement that can be achieved by the combining of radar waveform modulations enabled by modern digital frequency synthesis techniques. The compound phase coded linear frequency modulation waveform shows improved range resolution and suppression of range sidelobes over the individual component waveforms. The phase coded linear frequency modulation shows an improvement of 13 dB over the linear frequency modulation and is only 2 dB less than the phase code. It also achieves a 5 and 10 nanosecond narrower mainlobe autocorrelation peak than the phase code and linear frequency modulation, respectively. A notional signal processing architecture of the waveform is simulated to demonstrate the ability to process the compound waveform. Experimental data collected from a direct digital frequency synthesis based arbitrary waveform generator is compared with the simulated waveform. The compound waveform model and the experimental results show good agreement.
"Design of a Short Range Continuous Wave Compound Phase Coded Linear Frequency Modulation Radar Sensor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 82, 115-135, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERB18082006
1. Reneau, J. and R. Adhami, "Phase-coded LFMCW waveform analysis for short range measurement applications," IEEE Aerospace Conference, 1-6, Big Sky, MT, 2014.
2. Levanon, N., "CW alternatives to the coherent pulse," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronics Ystems, Vol. 29, No. 1, 250-254, 1993. doi:10.1109/7.249132
3. Skolnik, M., Radar Handbook, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 2008.
4. Rubio-Cidre, G., A. Badolato, L. ´Ubeda-Medina, B. M.-O. J. Grajal, and B. P. Dorta-Naranjo, "DDS-based signal-generation architecture comparison for an imaging radar at 300 GHz," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 64, No. 11, 3085-3098, November 2015. doi:10.1109/TIM.2015.2440557
5. Raghavendra, C. G., K. N. Bhat, M. P. R. Srivastsa, R. N. Murthy, P. V. Nayak, and N. N. S. S. R. K. Prasad, "A novel approach to generate OFDM radar signals," International Conference on Electrical, Electronics, Communication, Computer and Optimization Techniques (ICEECCOT), 141-145, 2016. doi:10.1109/ICEECCOT.2016.7955203
7. Ellinger, J., Z. Zhang, M. W. Wu, and Zhiqiang, "Dual-use multi-carrier waveform for radar detection and communication," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 54, No. 3, 1265-1278, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAES.2017.2780578
8. Y., Fu, Y. Li, Q. Huang, and K. Zhang, "Design and analysis of LFM/Barker RF stealth signal waveform," 2016 IEEE 11th Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications (ICIEA), 591-595, 2016.
9. Kumar, K. R. and P. R. Kumar, "Reducing the grating lobes and main lobe width for increasing range resolution using phase and frequency modulated codes," Title of paper, book, or conference proceedings Electrical, Electronics, and Optimization Techniques (ICEEOT) --- 2016, 1453-1457, 2016. doi:10.1109/ICEEOT.2016.7754923
10. Xiong, G., X.-N. Yang, and H.-C. Zhao, "Pseudo-random code phase modulation and LFM combined pulse trains ranging system," 6th International Conference on ITS Telecommunication Proceedings, 148-151, 2006.
11. Ngwar, M. and J. Wright, "Phase-coded-linear-frequency-modulated waveform for low cost marine radar system," 2010 IEEE Radar Conference, 1144-1149, Washington D.C., 2010.
12. Seleym, A., "Complementary phase coded LFM waveform for SAR," Integrated Communications Navigation and Surveillance (ICNS) Conference, 4C3-1-4C3-5, 2016.
13. Zong, Z., J. Hu, and L. Zhu, "OPCDM-LFM waveform design for formation flying satellite radar system," IEEE CIE International Conference on Radar, 592-595, October 24-27, 2011.
14. Fu, J., G. Weim, and Q. Huang, "Barker coded excitation using LFM carrier for improving axial resolution in ultrasound imaging," Proceedings of 2013 ICME International Conference on Complex Medical Engineering, Beijing, China, 2013.
15. Richards, M. A., J. A. Scheer, and W. A. Holm, Principles of Modern Radar, SciTech Publishing Inc., Raleigh, 2010. doi:10.1049/SBRA021E
16. Kumari, P., R. W. Heath, and S. A. Vorobyov, "Virtual pulse design for IEEE 802.11AD-based joint communication-radar," IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), 3315-3319, Calgary, 2018.
17. Fioranelli, F., S. Salous, and X. Raimundo, "Frequency-modulated interrupted continuous wave as wall removal technique in through-the-wall imaging," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 52, No. 10, 6272-6283, 2014. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2013.2295835
18. Khomchuk, P., I. Stainvas, and I. Bilik, "Pedestrian motion direction estimation using simulated automotive MIMO radar," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 52, No. 3, 1132-1145, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAES.2016.140682
19. Levanon, N. and B. Getz, "Comparison between linear FM and phase-coded CW radars," IEE Proceedings --- Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 141, No. 4, 230-240, August 1994. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:19941233
20. Rihaczek, A. W. and R. M. Golden, "Range sidelobe suppression for barker codes," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. AES-7, No. 6, 1087-1092, 1971. doi:10.1109/TAES.1971.310209
21. Ciuonzo, D., A. D. Maio, G. Foglia, and M. Piezzo, "Intrapulse radar-embedded communications via multiobjective optimization," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 51, No. 4, 2960-2974, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAES.2015.140821
22. Ciuonzo, D., A. D. Maio, G. Foglia, and M. Piezzo, "Pareto-theory for enabling covert intrapulse radar-embedded communications," IEEE Radar Conference (RadarCon), 0292-0297, Arlington, VA, 2015.
23. Ciuonzo, D. and P. S. Rossi, "Noncolocated time-reversal MUSIC: High-SNR distribution of null spectrum," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 24, No. 4, 397-401, 2017. doi:10.1109/LSP.2017.2661246
24. Ciuonzo, D., V. Carotenuto, and A. D. Maio, "On multiple covariance equality testing with application to SAR change detection," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 65, No. 19, 5078-5091, 2017. doi:10.1109/TSP.2017.2712124
25. Cheng, X., A. Aubry, D. Ciuonzo, A. D. Maio, and X. Wang, "Robust waveform and filter bank design of polarimetric radar," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 53, No. 1, 370-384, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAES.2017.2650619
26. U.S. Department of Commerce, National Telecommunication and Information Adminstration, Office of Spectrum Management, "United States frequency allocations --- The radio spectrum,", January 2016, [Online]. Available: https://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/january 2016 spectrum wall chart.pdf., [Accessed January 11, 2017].
27. Pallavi, N., P. Anjaneyulu, P. B. Reddy, V.Mahendra, and R. Karthik, "Design and implementation of linear frequency modulated waveform using DDS and FPGA," 2017 International conference of Electronics, Communication and Aerospace Technology (ICECA), Vol. 2, 237-241, Coimbatore, India, 2017.
28. Ventura, J. F. I. and H. Russchenberg, "Improvement of the performance of FM-CW radar systems by using direct digital synthesizers: Comparison with voltage controlled oscillators," 2006 International Radar Symposium, 1-4, Krakow Poland, 2006.
29. Skolnik, M. I., "An introduction and overview of radar," Radar Handbook, 1.1-1.24, M. I. Skolnik, Ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, 2008.
30. Siddiq, K., R. J. Watson, S. R. Pennock, P. Avery, R. Poulton, and B. Dakin-Norris, "Phase noise analysis in FMCW radar systems," European Radar Conference (EuRAD), 501-504, Paris, 2015. doi:10.1109/EuRAD.2015.7346347
31. Tierney, J., C. Rader, and B. Gold, "A digital frequency synthesizer," IEEE Transactions on Audio and Electroacoustics, Vol. 19, No. 1, 48-57, 1971. doi:10.1109/TAU.1971.1162151
32. Vankka, J. and K. A. Halonen, Direct Digital Synthesizers: Theory Design and Applications, Springer-Verlag, New York, 2001. doi:10.1007/978-1-4757-3395-2_6
33. Analog Devices, Inc., "Fundamentals of direct digital synthesis (DDS) (MT-085),", Analog Devices, Inc., Norwood, MA, 2009.
34. Andrews, G. V., C. T. M. Chang, J. D. Cayo, S. Sabin, W. A. White, and M. P. Harris, "Monolithic GaAs dual-channel digital chirp synthesiser chip," Electronics Letters, Vol. 27, No. 11, 905-906, May 23, 1991. doi:10.1049/el:19910567
35. Scheiblhofer, S., S. Schuster, and A. Stelzer, "High-speed FMCW radar frequency synthesizer with DDS based linearization," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 5, 397-399, May 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.895732
36. Budge, M. and S. German, Basic Radar Analysis, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2015.
37. Hovanessian, S. A., Radar System Design and Analysis, Artech House, Inc., Norwood, 1984.
38. Mahafza, B. R. and A. Z. Elsherbeni, MATLAB Simulations for Radar Systems Design, Chapman & Hall/CRC CRC Press LLC, Boca Raton, 2004.
39. Song, M., J. Lim, and S. Dong-Joon, "The velocity and range detection using the 2D-FFT scheme for automotive radars," 2014 4th IEEE International Conference on Network Infrastructure and Digital Content, 507-510, Beijing, 2014. doi:10.1109/ICNIDC.2014.7000356
40. Eugin, H. and J. Lee, "Hardware architecture design and implementation for FMCW radar signal processing algorithm," Proceedings of the 2014 Conference on Design and Architectures for Signal and Image Processing, 1-6, Madrid, 2014.
41. Swerling, P., "Probability of detection for fluctuating targets," IRE Transactions Information Theory, Vol. 6, No. 2, 269-308, 1960. doi:10.1109/TIT.1960.1057561