In this paper, a tree-shaped power distribution network is designed based on constructal theory for planar EBG structure power plane on PCB, in order to optimize DC performance. Planar EBG structures suppress noise, and the network provides currents to them. This network is composed of hierarchical metal paths. The geometric parameters can be optimized based on the concept of constructal theory. The optimal performance consists of constructing the given area in a sequence of building blocks from the smallest size toward larger sizes hierarchically. In the meantime, a PCB power plane is developed with 2nd order tree-shaped constructal network. Analysis illustrates that EBG power plane with constructal tree shaped network has multifunctions of low voltage drop, current equidistribution and effective noise isolation.
2. Raimondo, , L., F. de Paulis, and A. Orlandi, , "A simple and e±cient design procedure for planar electromagnetic band-gap structures on printed circuit boards ," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility,, Vol. 52, No. 3, 2010.
3. He, , Y., , L. Li, C. H. Liang, Q. H. Liu, L. Li, and H. B. Wen, "Leafy EBG structures for ultra-wideband SSN suppression in power/ground plane pairs," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 11, 768-769, 2010.
4. Wu, T. L., , J. Fan, F. de Paulis, C. D. Wang, A. Ciccomancini Scogna, and A. Orlandi, "Mitigation of noise coupling in mul-tilayer high-speed PCB: State of the art modeling methodology and EBG technology," Journal of Institute of Electronics, Infor-mation and Communication Engineers (IECE),, Vol. E93-B, No. 7, 2010..
5. De Paulis, , F., L. Raimondo, S. Connor, B. Archambeault, L. Raimondo, S. Connor, B. Archambeault, and , "Design of a common mode filter by using planar electromagnetic bandgap structures," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging,, Vol. 33, No. 4, 994-1002, 2010.
6. Xu, , H.-J., , Y.-H. Zhang, and Y. Fan, , "Analysis of the connection between K connector and microstrip with electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, , Vol. 73, 239-247, 2007.
7. Moghadasi, , S. M., , A. R. Attari, and M. M. Mirsalehi, , "Compact and wideband 1-D mushroom-like EBG ¯lters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 83, 323-333, 2008.
8. Wang, , X., , M. Zhang, and S.-J. Wang, , "Practicability analysis and application of PBG structures on cylindrical conformal microstrip antenna and array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 115, 495-507, , 2011..
9. Kim, , S.-H., T. T. Nguyen, and J.-H. Jang, , "Reflection characteristics of 1-D EBG ground plane and its application to a planar dipole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 120, 51-66, 2011.
10. Pirhadi, , A., , F. Keshmiri, M. Hakkak, and M. Tayarani, "Analysis and design of dual band high directive EBG resonator antenna using square loop FSS as superstrate layer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 1-20, 2007.
11. Wu, , T.-L., , Y.-H. Lin, T.-K. Wang, C.-C. Wang, and S.-T. Chen, "Electromagnetic bandgap power/ground planes for wideband suppression of ground bounce noise and radiated emission in high-speed circuits ," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques , Vol. 53, No. 9, 2935-2942, 2005.
12. Wang, , T.-K., , C.-Y. Hsieh, H.-H. Chuang, and T.-L. Wu, "Design and modeling of a stopband-enhanced EBG structure using ground surface perturbation lattice for power/ground noise suppression," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques,, Vol. 57, No. 8, 2047-2054, 2009..
13. Wu, , T.-L., , H.-H. Chuang, and T.-K. Wang, , "Overview of power integrity solutions on package and PCB: Decoupling and EBG isolation," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility,, Vol. 52, No. 2, 346-356, 2010.
14. Archambeault, , B., C. Brench, and S. Connor, , "Review of printed-circuit-board level EMI/EMC issues and tools," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 52, , No. 2, 455-461, 2010..
15. Bejan, , A., , "Constructal theory: From thermodynamic and geometric optimization to predicting shape in nature," Energy Conversion and Management,, Vol. 39, No. 16--18, 1705-1718, 1998..
16. Bejan, , A., V. Badescu, and A. de Vos, "Constructal theory of economics," Applied Energy, Vol. 67, No. 1--2, 37-60, 2000.
17. Kang, D.-H., S. Lorente, and A. Bejan, , "Constructal architecture for heating a stream by convection," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 53, No. 9--10, 2248-2255, 2010..
18. Da Silva, , A. K. , A. Bejan, and , "Constructal multi-scale structure for maximal heat transfer density in natural convection," International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, Vol. 26, No. 1, 34-44, 2005.
19. Senn, , S. M. and D. Poulikakos, "Laminar mixing, heat transfer and pressure drop in tree-like microchannel nets and their application for thermal management in polymer electrolyte fuel cells," Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 130, No. 1--2, 178-191, 2004.
20. Tescari, , S., N. Mazet, and P. Neveu, , "Constructal method to optimize solar thermochemical reactor design," Solar Energy, Vol. 84, No. 9, 1555-1566, 2010..
21. Sciacovelli, , A. , V. Verda, and , "Entropy generation analysis in a monolithic-type solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC)," Energy,, Vol. 34, No. 7, 850-865, 2009.
22. Farzan, , S. M. D. , A. Sankar, and , "A new miniaturized planar electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structure with dual slits," 12th Signal Propagation on Interconnects, SPI 2008, 1-4, 2008.
23. Kwon, J.-H., , S.-I. Kwak, and D.-U. Sim, , "Localized EBG structure with DeCaps for ultra-wide suppression of power plane noise," PIERS Proceedings, , 1474-1477, 2011.
24., "IEEE Standard P1597, Standard for Validation of Computational Electromagnetics Computer Modeling and Simulation | Part 1, 2,", 2008.
25. Duffy, A. P., A. J. M. Martin, A. Orlandi, G. Antonini, T. M. Benson, and M. S. Woolfson, "Feature selective validation (FSV) for validation of computational electromagnetics (CEM). Part I | The FSV method," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 48, No. 3, 449-459, 2006.
26. Orlandi, , A., , A. P. Duffy, B. Archambeault, G. Antonini, D. E. Coleby, and S. Connor, "Feature selective validation (FSV) for validation of computational electromagnetics (CEM). Part II | Assessment of FSV performance," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility,, Vol. 48, No. 3, 460-467, 2006..