Magic tee is a widely used component in microwave systems; the four arms of a conventional magic tee direct at four different directions, which occupy much space and give inconveniences to the assemblage of a system. In this paper, a waveguide narrow-wall slot directional coupler and an E-plane dielectric loaded waveguide phase shifter are used to make up of a magic tee with four arms in the same H-plane. The narrow-wall slot directional coupler is analyzed with mode matching method and optimized with simulated annealing method, and the dielectric loaded waveguide phase shifter is designed with edge based finite element method. Numerical results of the magic tee are presented, which show that the performance of the designed magic tee is good.
"A Compact h
-Plane Magic Tee Designed at W Band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 5, 35-48, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08011706
1. Riabi, M. L., R. Thabet, and M. Belmeguenai, "Rigorous design and efficient optimizattion of quarter-wave transformers in metallic circular waveguides using the mode-matching method and the genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 15-33, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06072103
2. Huang, R. and D. Zhang, "Application of mode matching method to analysis of axisymmetric coaxial discontinuity structures used in permeability and/or permittivity measurement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 205-230, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06083103
3. Press, W. H., S. A. Teukolsky, W. T. Vetterling, and B. P. Flannery, Numerical Recipes in C, 2nd Ed., Cambridge University Press, 1995.
4. Jin, J. M., The Finite-element Method in Electromagnetics, John Wileys & Sons, Inc., New York, 1993.
5. Hernandez-Lopez, M. A. and M. Quintillan-Gonzalez, "A finite element method code to analyse waveguide dispersion," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 3, 397-408, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779367396
6. Arndt, F., B. Koch, H.-J. Orlok, and N. Schroder, "Field theory design of rectangular waveguide broad-wall metal-insert slot couplers for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 33, No. 2, 95-104, 1985. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1985.1132956
7. Partzelt, H. and F. Arndt, "Double-plane steps in rectangular waveguides and their application for transformers, irises, and filters," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 30, No. 5, 771-776, 1982. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1982.1131135
8. Reed, J. and G. J. Wheeler, "A method of analysis of symmetrical four-port networks," IRE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 4, 246-252, 1956. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1956.1125071
9. Uher, J., J. Bornemann, and U. Rosenberg, Waveguide Components for Antenna Feed Systems: Theory and CAD, Artech House Publishers, May 1 1993.
10. Park, J. K., D. H. Shin, J. N. Lee, and H. J. Eom, "A full-wave analysis of a coaxial waveguide slot bridge using the Fourier transform technique," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 2, 143-158, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775777198
11. Schmiedel, H. and F. Arndt, "Field theory design of rectangular waveguide multiple-slot narrow-wall couplers," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 34, No. 7, 791-797, 1986. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1986.1133442
12. Ritter, J. and F. Arndt, "Efficient FDTD/matrix-pencil method for the full-wave scattering parameter analysis of waveguiding structures," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 44, No. 12, 2450-2456, 1996. doi:10.1109/22.554577