Retrodirective arrays have garnered much attention due to the unique feature of automatically responding to an interrogator without any prior knowledge of the location of the incoming signal. This paper describes the basic concept of retrodirective array technology, discusses the three retrodirective array topologies with their advantages and disadvantages. Characterizations of the selfsteering performance in a retrodirective antenna array are described. A series of array design considerations in the retrodirective array systems is presented, and further researches in this area are presented.
"Retrodirective Array Technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 5, 153-167, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08021704
1. Leong, K. M. K. H., R. Y. Miyamoto, and T. Itoh, "Moving forward in retrodirective antenna arrays," IEEE Potentials, Vol. 22, No. 3, 16-21, 2003. doi:10.1109/MP.2003.1232308
2. Shiroma, W. A., R. Y. Miyamoto, G. S. Shiroma, et al. "Progress in retrodirective arrays for wireless communications," IEEE Topical Conference on Wireless Communication Technology, Vol. 80, No. 81, 2003.
3. Roque, J. D., B. T. Murakami, S. S. Sung, et al. "Progress in self-steering antennas for small-satellite networks," Space 2004 Conference and Exhibit, 1-7, 2004.
4. Goshi, D. S., K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Recent advances in retrodirective system technology," IEEE Radio and Wireless Symp., 459-462, 2006. doi:10.1109/RWS.2006.1615194
5. Miyamoto, R. Y. and T. Itoh, "Retrodirective arrays for wireless communications," IEEE Microwave Mag., Vol. 3, No. 1, 71-79, 2002. doi:10.1109/6668.990692
6. Miyamoto, R. Y., G. S. Shiroma, B. T. Murakami, et al. "A highdirectivity transponder using self-steering arrays," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Digest, Vol. 3, 1683-1686, 2004.
7. Gupta, S. and E. R. Brown, "Noise-correlating radar based on retrodirective antennas," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 43, No. 2, 472-477, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAES.2007.4285347
8. Chiu, L., T. Y. Yum, W. S. Chang, et al. "Retrodirective array for RFID and microwave tracking beacon applications," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 2, 409-411, 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.21365
9. Yu-Jiun, R. and C. Kai, "New 5.8-GHz circularly polarized retrodirective rectenna arrays for wireless power transmission," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 7, 2970-2976, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.877422
10. Lim, S., K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Adaptive power controllable retrodirective array system for wireless sensor server applications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 12, 3735-3743, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.856086
11. Leong, K. M. K. H. and T. Itoh, "Mutually exclusive data encoding for realization of a full duplexing self-steering wireless link using a retrodirective array transceiver," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 12, 3687-3696, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.856081
12. Leong, K. M. K. H. and T. Itoh, "Full-duplex retrodirective array using mutually-exclusive uplink and downlink modulation schemes," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Digest, Vol. 3, 1695-1698, 2004.
13. Sharp, E. D. and M. A. Diab, "Van Atta reflector array," IRE Trans. on Anten. Propag., Vol. 8, No. 4, 436-438, 1960. doi:10.1109/TAP.1960.1144877
14. Atta, L. C. V., "Electromagnetic reflector," U.S. Patent, Vol. 2908, 1959.
15. Pon, C. Y., "Retrodirective array using the heterodyne technique," IEEE Trans. Anten. Propag., Vol. 12, No. 2, 176-180, 1964. doi:10.1109/TAP.1964.1138191
16. Chung, S. J., S.-M. Chen, and Y.-C. Lee, "A novel bi-directional amplifier with applications in active Van Atta retrodirective arrays," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 2I, 542-547, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.807814
17. Withers, M. J., "An active Van Atta array," Proceedings of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, Vol. 111, No. 5, 982-984, 1964.
19. Bauer, L. H., "Technique for amplitude modulating a Van Atta radar reflector," Proc. of IRE, Vol. 49, 634-635, 1961.
20. Chen, K., X. Chen, and K. Huang, "A novel microstrip dipole antenna with wideband and end-fire properties," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 12, 1679-1688, 2007.
21. Cui, B., J. Zhang, and X. W. Sun, "Single layer microstrip antenna arrays applied in millimeter-wave radar front-end," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 1, 3-15, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308783122797
22. Zhang, M. T., Y. B. Chen, Y. C. Jiao, et al. "Dual circularly polarized antenna of compact structure for RFID application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 1895-1902, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779322611
23. Wu, G. L., W. Mu, G. Zhao, et al. "A novel design of dual circularly polarized antenna FED by L-strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 39-46, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07092001
24. Yang, S. L. S., K. F. Lee, and A. A. Kishk, "Design and study of wideband single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 45-61, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07110604
25. Abbaspour, M. and H. R. Hassani, "Wideband star-shaped microstrip patch antenna," PIER Letters, Vol. 1, 61-68, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07111505
26. Ansari, J. A. and R. B. Ram, "Tunnel diode integrated E-shaped patch antenna for broadband operation," PIER Letters, Vol. 1, 263-273, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07121201
27. Toh, B. Y., V. F. Fusco, and N. B. Buchanan, "Assessment of performance limitations of PON retrodirective arrays," IEEE Trans. Anten. Propag., Vol. 50, No. 10, 1425-1432, 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.802089
28. Luxey, C. and J. M. Laheurte, "A retrodirective transponder with polarization duplexing for dedicated short-range communications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 9, 1910-1915, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.788529
29. Shiroma, G. S., R. Y. Miyamoto, and W. A. Shiroma, "A full-duplex dual-frequency self-steering array using phase detection and phase shifting," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 1, 128-133, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.860330
30. Goshi, D., K. Leong, and T. Itoh, "A retrodirective array with interference rejection capability," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Digest, Vol. 1, 395-398, 2005. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2005.1516611
31. Goshi, D. S., K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Interleaved retrodirective sub-arrays for null-steering interference rejection," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Digest, 1719-1722, 2007.
32. Tuovinen, J., G. S. Shiroma, W. E. Forsyth, et al. "Multipath communications using a phase-conjugate array," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Digest, Vol. 3, 1681-1684, 2003.
33. Loadman, C. and C. Z. Zhang, "A study of retrodirective array performance in the presence of multipath," Second Annual Conference on Communication Networks and Services Research, 56-60, 2004. doi:10.1109/DNSR.2004.1344711
34. Goshi, D. S., K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, "A sparse retrodirective transponder array with a time shared phaseconjugator," IEEE Trans. Anten. Propag., Vol. 55, No. 8, 2367-2372, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.901852