The absorption and dispersion properties of a Kobrak-Rice 5-level quantum system are investigated. It is shown that the dressed states of such a system are phase-dependent. It is also demonstrated that the absorption, dispersion and group index can be controlled by either the intensity or relative phase of driving fields. Moreover, we have shown that by applying an incoherent pumping field the absorption doublet switches to gain doublet, and the absorption free superluminal light propagation appears which can be used in the transfer of information process.
Mohammad Ali Allahyari,
"Amplitude and Phase Control of Absorption and Dispersion in a Kobrak-Rice 5-Level Quantum System," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 24, 333-350, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10061405
1. Moon, H. S., S. K. Kim, K. Kim, C. H. Lee, and J. B. Kim, "Atomic coherence changes caused by optical pumping applied to electromagnetically induced absorption," J. Phys. B: At. Mol. Opt. Phys., Vol. 36, 3721-3729, 2003. doi:10.1088/0953-4075/36/18/302
2. Scully, M. O., S. Y. Zhu, and A. Gavrielides, "Degenerate quantum-beat laser: Lasing without inversion and inversion without lasing," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 62, 2813-2816, 1989. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.62.2813
3. Scully, M. O., "Enhancement of the index of refraction via quantum coherence," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 67, 1855-1858, 1991. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.67.1855
4. Boller, K. J., A. Imamoglu, and S. E. Harris, "Observation of electromagnetically induced transparency," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 66, 2593-2596, 1991. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.66.2593
5. Harris, S. E., "Electromagnetically induced transparency," Phys. Today, Vol. 50, No. 7, 36-42, 1997. doi:10.1063/1.881806
6. See for example, a review by L. A. Lugiato, "Theory of optical bistability," Progress in Optics, Vol. 21, 71-211, E. Wolf (ed.), North-Holland, Amesterdam, 1984.
7. Bigelow, M. S., N. N. Lepeshkin, and R. W. Boyd, "Ultra-slow and superluminal light propagation in solids at room temperature," J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, Vol. 16, R1321-1340, 2004. doi:10.1088/0953-8984/16/46/R01
8. Korsunsky, E. A. and D. V. Kosachiov, "Phase-dependent nonlinear optics with double-¤ atoms," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 60, 4996-5009, 1999. doi:10.1103/PhysRevA.60.4996
9. Bortman-Arbiv, D., A. D. Wilson-Gordon, and H. Friedmann, "Phase control of group velocity: From subluminal to superluminal light propagation," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 63, 043818, 2001. doi:10.1103/PhysRevA.63.043818
10. Morigi, G., S. Franke-Arnold, and G. L. Oppo, "Phase-dependent interaction in a four-level atomic configuration," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 66, 053409, 2002. doi:10.1103/PhysRevA.66.053409
11. Wang, G., X. Yan, J. H.Wu, and J. Y. Gao, "The phase dependent properties of gain and absorption in an Er3+-doped yttrium aluminum garnet crystal," Opt. Commun., Vol. 267, 118-123, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2006.06.002
12. Paspalakis, E., C. H. Keitel, and P. L. Knight, "Fluorescence control through multiple interference mechanisms," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 58, 4868-4877, 1998. doi:10.1103/PhysRevA.58.4868
13. Mahmoudi, M. and J. Evers, "Light propagation through closed-loop atomic media beyond the multi-photon resonance condition," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 74, 063827, 2006. doi:10.1103/PhysRevA.74.063827
14. Korsunsky, E. A., et al. "Phase-dependent electromagnetically induced transparency," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 59, 2302-2305, 1999. doi:10.1103/PhysRevA.59.2302
15. Sahrai, M., H. Tajalli, K. T. Kaple, and M. S. Zubairy, "Tunable phase control for subluminal to superluminal light propagation," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 70, 023813, 2004. doi:10.1103/PhysRevA.70.023813
16. Sahrai, M., M. Mahmoudi, and R. Kheradmand, "The impact of the relative phase on the transient optical properties of a four --- Level EIT medium," Phys. Lett. A, Vol. 367, 408-414, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.physleta.2007.03.014
17. Kobrak, M. N. and S. A. Rice, "An extension of stimulated raman selective photochemistry via adiabatic passage: Adiabatic passage for degenerate final states," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 57, 2885-2894, 1998. doi:10.1103/PhysRevA.57.2885
18. Ou, B. Q., L. M. Liang, and C. Z. Li, "Quantum coherence effects in a four-level diamond-shape atomic system," Opt. Commun., Vol. 282, 2870-2877, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2009.03.034
19. Gong, J. and S. A. Rice, "Measurement-assisted coherent control," J. Chem. Phys., Vol. 120, 9984-9988, 2004. doi:10.1063/1.1735644
20. Sugawara, M., "Measurement-assisted quantum dynamics control of 5-level system using intense CW-laser fields," Chem. Phys. Lett., Vol. 428, 457-460, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.cplett.2006.07.069
22. Wang, L. J., A. Kuzmich, and A. Dogariu, "Gain-assisted superluminal light propagation," Nature, Vol. 406, 277-279, London, 2000. doi:10.1038/35018520
23. Wang, L. G., N. H. Liu, Q. Lin, and S. Y. Zhu, "Effect of coherence on the superluminal propagation of light pulses through anomalously dispersive media with gain," Europhys. Lett., Vol. 60, 834-840, 2002. doi:10.1209/epl/i2002-00292-4
24. Gauthier, D. J. and R. W. Boyd, "Fast light, slow light, and optical precursors, what does it all mean?," Photonics Spectra, 82-89, Jan., 2007.
25. Scully, M. O. and M. S. Zubairy, Quantum Optics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1997.
26. Lukin, M. D., S. F. Yelin, M. Fleishhauer, and M. O. Scully, "Quantum interference e®ects induced by interacting dark resonances," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 60, 3225-3228, 1999. doi:10.1103/PhysRevA.60.3225
27. Li, Y. F., J. F. Sun, X. Y. Zhang, and Y. C.Wang, "Laser-induced double-dark resonances and double-transparencies in a four-level system," Opt. Commun., Vol. 202, 97-102, 2002. doi:10.1016/S0030-4018(02)01072-6
28. Feng, Z. F., W. D. Li, L. T. Xiao, and S. T. Jia, "The double dark resonance in a cold gas of Cs atoms and molecules," Opt. Exp., Vol. 16, 15870-15879, 2008. doi:10.1364/OE.16.015870
29. Yang, W. F., S. Q. Gong, Y. P. Niu, S. Q. Jin, and Z. Z. Xu, "Enhancement of four-wave mixing induced by interacting dark resonances," J. Phys. B: At. Mol. Opt. Phys., Vol. 38, 2657-2663, 2005. doi:10.1088/0953-4075/38/15/006
30. Gavra, N., M. Rosenbluh, T. Zigdon, A. D. Wilson-Gordon, and H. Friedmann, "Sub-doppler and sub-natural narrowing of an absorption line," Opt. Commun., Vol. 280, 374-378, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2007.08.012
31. Cheng, D., C. Liu, Y. Niu, S. Jin, R. Li, and S. Gong, "Sub-wavelength atom localization in double-dark resonant systems," Chin. Opt. Lett., Vol. 5, S268-S271, 2007.
32. Mahmoudi, M., R. Fleischhaker, M. Sahrai, and J. Evers, "Group velocity control in the ultraviolet domain via interacting dark-state resonances," J. Phys. B: At. Mol. Opt.Phys., Vol. 41, 025504, 2008. doi:10.1088/0953-4075/41/2/025504
33. Mahmoudi, M., M. Mousavi, and M. Sahrai, "Controlling the optical bistability via interacting dark-state resonances," Eur. Phys. J. D, Vol. 57, 241-246, 2010. doi:10.1140/epjd/e2010-00020-1
34. Private Communications with Prof. D. J. Gauthier and Prof. R. W. Boyd,.