Using magnetic composite material as the substrate for RFID metal tag has several advantages over conventional metal tags, such as flexibility and miniaturized size. In this paper, the radiation intensity contributed by a half-wave dipole is derived based on the result of an ideal Hertzian dipole, which leads to a simple relation for thin substrate. Later on, the material constants of two materials are measured and the one capable of generating greater radiation intensity is used in the course of antenna design. A primitive pattern design demonstrates the metal tag has a satisfactory 2.7 m reading range, and a dimension of 80×22×2 mm3.
"Analysis and Design of an UHF RFID Metal Tag Using Magnetic Composite Material as Substrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 24, 49-62, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10070107
1. Chen, S.-L., S.-K. Kuo, and C.-T. Lin, "A metallic RFID tag design for steel-bar and wire-rod management application in the teel industry," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 195-212, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09021304
3. Eunni, M. B., "A novel planar microstrip antenna design for UHF RFID ,", M.S. Thesis, University of Kansas, Jul., 2006.
4. Mo, L., H. Zhang, and H. Zhou, "Broadband UHF RFID tag antenna with a pair of U slots mountable on metallic objects," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 20, 1173-1174, Sep., 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20089813
5. European Patent Application, EP1632926,.
6. Kuo, S.-K., S.-L. Chen, and C.-T. Lin, "Design and development of RFID label for steel coil," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 57, No. 6, 2180-2186, Jun.， 2010. doi:10.1109/TIE.2009.2034174
7. Yang, L., L. Martin, D. Staiculescu, C. P. Wong, and M. M. Tentzeris, "A novel flexible magnetic composite material for RFID, wearable RF and bio-monitoring applications ," Procs. of the IEEE-IMS Symposium, 963-966, Atlanta, GA, Jun., 2008.
8. Jackson, D. R. and N. G. Alexopoulos, "Simple approximate formulas for input resistance, bandwidth, and efficiency of a resonant rectangular patch," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 3, Mar., 1991.
9. Hirvonen, M. and S. A. Tretyakov, "Near-zero permittivity substrates for horizontal antennas: Performance enhancement and limitations," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 10, 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23739
10. Ikonen, P. M. T., S. I. Maslovski, C. R. Simovski, and S. A. Tretyakov, "On artificial magnetodielectric loading for improving the impedance bandwidth properties of microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, 1654-1662, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.875912
11. Li, R. L., G. DeJean, M. M. Tentzeris, J. Papapolymerou, and J. Laskar, "Radiation-pattern improvement of patch antennas on a large-size substrate using a compact soft-surface structure and its realization on LTCC multilayer technology," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 200-208, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.856374
12. Nicholson, A. M. and G. F. Ross, "Measurement of the intrinsic properties of materials by time domain techniques," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 19, No. 4, 377-382, 1970. doi:10.1109/TIM.1970.4313932
13. Weir, W. B., "Automatic measurement of complex dielectric constant and permeability at microwave frequencies," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 62, 33-36, 1974. doi:10.1109/PROC.1974.9382
14. Zhang, B., Y. Feng, J. Xiong, Y. Yang, and H. Lu, "Microwave-absorbing properties of de-aggregated flake-shaped carbonyliron particle composites at 2--18 GHz," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 42, No. 7, 1778-1881, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2006.874188
15. Folgueras, L., M. Alves, and M. Rezende, "Microwave absorbing paints and sheets based on carbonyl iron and polyaniline: Measurement and simulation of their properties," Journal of Aerospace and Management, Vol. 2, No. 1, 63-70, 2010. doi:10.5028/jatm.2010.02016370
16. Kuo, S.-K., S.-L. Chen, and C.-T. Lin, "An accurate method for impedance measurement of rfid tag antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 93-106, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08042104
17. Kuo, S.-K. and L.-G. Liao, "An analytic model for impedance calculation of an RFID metal tag," to appear in IEEE Antennas and Wireless Progagation Letters.
18. Yang, G. M., X. Xing, A. Daigle, M. Liu, O. Obi, S. Stoute, K. Naishadham, and N. X. Sun, "Tunable miniaturized patch antennas with self-biased multilayer magnetic films," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 2190-2193, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2021972
19. Yang, G. M., X. Xing, A. Daigle, O. Obi, M. Liu, S. Stoute, K. Naishadham, and N. X. Sun, "Loading effects of self-biased magnetic films on patch antennas with substrate/superstrate sandwich structure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 648-655, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2039295