A two-layer nondestructive method for characterizing the electric and magnetic properties of lossy conductor-backed magnetic materials using a flanged rectangular-waveguide probe is examined. The two reflection measurements necessary to determine both permittivity and permeability are made by first applying the probe to the material under test and then applying the probe to a knownmaterial layer placed on top of the material under test. The theoretical reflection coefficient is obtained using a rigorous full-wave solution, and an extrapolation scheme is used to minimize the error due to truncating the modal expansion of the waveguide fields. An error analysis is performed to compare the performance of the technique to the two-thickness method, which utilizes two different thicknesses of the material under test. The properties of the known material layer that result in the least error due to network analyzer uncertainty are determined. The sensitivity of the two-layer method is also explored and discussed.
Edward J. Rothwell,
Michael John Havrilla,
Milo Hyde IV,
"Error Analysis of a Two-Layer Method for the Electromagnetic Characterization of Conductor-Backed Absorbing Material Using an Open-Ended Waveguide Probe," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 26, 1-21, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10080506
1. Teodoridis, V., T. Sphicopoulos, and F. E. Gardiol, "The reflection from an open-ended rectangular waveguide terminated by a layered dielectric medium," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 33, No. 5, 359-366, May 1985. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1985.1133006
2. Bakhtiari, S., S. Ganchev, and R. Zoughi, "Open-ended rectangular waveguide for nondestructive thickness measurement and variation detection of lossy dielectric slabs backed by a conducting plate," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 42, No. 1, 19-23, Feb. 1993. doi:10.1109/19.206673
3. Maode, N., S. Yong, Y. Jinkui, F. Chrnpung, and X. Deming, "An improved open-ended waveguide measurement technique on parameters εr and μr of high-loss materials," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 47, No. 2, 476-481, Apr. 1999. doi:10.1109/19.744194
4. Stewart, J. W. and M. J. Havrilla, "Electromagnetic characterization of a magnetic material using an open-ended waveguide probe and a rigorous full-wave multimode model," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 2037-2052, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779322693
5. Stewart, J., Simultaneous extraction of the permittivity and permeability of conductor-backed lossy materials using open-ended waveguide probes, Ph.D. Dissertation, Air Force Institute of Technology, 2006.
6. Chang, C. W., K. M. Chen, and J. Qian, "Nondestructive determination of electromagnetic parameters of dielectric materials as X-band frequencies using a waveguide probe system," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 46, No. 5, 1084-1092, Oct. 1997. doi:10.1109/19.676717
7. Collin, R. E., Field Theory of Guided Waves, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1960.
8. Dester, G. D., Electromagnetic material characterization of a conductor-backed material using the two layer, two thickness, and two iris waveguide probe methods: Error analysis, simulation, and experimental results, Ph.D. Dissertation, Michigan State University, Aug. 2008.
9. Taylor, J. R., An Introduction to Error Analysis: The Study of Uncertainties in Physical Measurements, University Science Books, California, 1982.
10. Press, W. H., S. A. Teukolsky, W. T. Vetterling, and B. P. Flannery, Numerical Recipes in Fortran, The Art of Scientific Computing, 2nd Ed., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1992.
11. Dester, G. D., E. J. Rothwell, and M. J. Havrilla, "An extrapolation method for improving the accuracy of material characterization using waveguide probes," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 5, 298-300, May 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2045600
12. Weir, W. B., "Automatic measurement of complex dielectric constant and permeability at microwave frequencies," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 62, No. 1, 33-36, Jan. 1974. doi:10.1109/PROC.1974.9382
13. Nicolson, A. M. and G. F. Ross, "Measurement of the intrinsic properties of materials by time-domain techniques," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 19, No. 4, 377-382, Nov. 1970. doi:10.1109/TIM.1970.4313932
14. Hyde IV, M. W., J. W. Stewart, M. J. Havrilla, W. P. Baker, E. J. Rothwell, and D. P. Nyquist, "Nondestructive electromagnetic material characterization using a dual waveguide probe: A full wave solution," Radio Sci., Vol. 44, RS3013, 20099, doi: 10.1029/2008RS003937.. doi:10.1029/2008RS003937