Photoinductive (PI) field mapping for eddy-current (EC) probes above a thin metal film was performed by multiphysics analysis with two-dimensional finite element method (FEM). The FEM model of PI method was used to observe how metal film properties affect the field-mapping signals of EC probes. The PI signal was tested for effects of resistivity, temperature coefficient of the resistivity, thermal conductivity, heat capacity, and thin film density The applicability of actual thin film materials for mapping the field of EC probe when using PI method was discussed. Field-mapping signals of EC probe coils with tilt angles of 0o, 5o, 10o, 15o, and 20o were also examined with appropriate metal film material. These experiments showed that the higher-resolution field-mapping signals of EC probes can be obtained by given a titanium thin film The resolution of field-mapping signals of EC probes correlated positively with resistivity, heat capacity, and density of thin film and correlated negatively with its thermal conductivity. Improved understanding of distinct field distribution of EC probes enables selection of optimal probes for EC inspection.
"Effects of Thermal and Electrical Properties of Thin Metal Film in Photoinductive Field-Mapping Technique for Eddy-Current Probes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 31, 189-203, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERB11050302
1. Moulder, J. C., N. Nakagawa, K. S. No, Y. P. Lee, and J. F. McClelland, "Photoinductive imaging: A new nde technique," Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, 599-611, 1989.
2. Tai, C.-C. and J. C. Moulder, "Bolt-hole corner crack inspection using the photoinductive imaging method," Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 19, No. 3, 81-93, 2000.
3. Moulder, J. C. and N. Nakagawa, "Characterizing the per-formance of eddy current probes using photoinductive field mapping," Research in Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 4, No. 4, 221-236, 1992.
4. Nakagawa, N. and J. C. Moulder, "Eddy current probe calibration via the photoinductive effect," NDT & E International, Vol. 28, No. 4, 245-246, 1995.
5. Tai, C.-C. and Y.-L. Pan, "Characterizing the performance of eddy current probes using the photoinductive field-mapping: A numerical approach," International Journal of Applied Science and Engineering, Vol. 6, No. 3, 215-221, 2009.
6. Tai, C.-C. and Y.-L. Pan, "Multiphysics modeling and analysis of the photoinductive imaging effect for crack detection," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 59, No. 2, 425-432, 2010.
7. Mirshekar-Syahkai, D. and R. F. Mostafavi, "Effects of probe and inducer on saturation of crack signal in high-sensitivity ac field measurement technique," IEE Proceedings Science, Measurement & Technology , 193-196, 2001.
8. Abakar, A., J.-C. Verite, and R. Cauvin, "Sensitivity analysis of eddy current sensor parameters for non-destructive measurement of zirconium oxide thin ¯lm using 3D finite element," 12th Bi-ennial IEEE Conference on Electromagnetic Field Computation, 426, 2006.
9. Singh, S. K., J. P. Pandey, K. B. Thapa, and S. P. Ojha, "Structural parameters in the formation of omnidirectional high reflector ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 53-78, 2007.
10. O'Halloran, M., M. Glavin, and E. Jones, "Effects of fibroglandular tissue distribution on data-independent beamforming algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 141-158, 2009.
11. Zhang, J.-P., Z.-S. Wu, Q.-L. Zhu, and B. Wang, "A four-parameter m-profile model for the evaporation duct estimation from radar clutter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 353-368, 2010.
12. Theodoulidis, T., "Analytical model for tilted coils in eddycurrent nondestructive inspection," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 41, 2447-2454, 2005.
13. Aldrin, J. C. and J. S. Knopp, "Crack characterization method with invariance to noise features for eddy current inspection of fasterner sites ," Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 25, No. 4, 165-181, 2006.
14. Zhang, Y.-H., F.-L. Luo, and H.-X. Sun, "Impedance evaluation of a probe-coil's lift-off and tilt effect in eddy-current nondestructive inspection by 3D ¯nite element modeling," 17th World Conference on Nondestructive Testing, 2008.
15. Taine, J. and J. P. Petit, Heat Transfer, Prentice Hall, New York, 1993.
16. Lewis, R. W., K. Morgan, H. R. Thomas, and K. N. Seetharamu, The Finite Element Method in Heat Transfer Analysis, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, 1996.
17. Cheng, D. K., Field and Wave Electromagnetics, Addison-Wesley, Addison-Wesley, 1989.
18. Jianming, J., The Finite Element Method in Electromagnetics, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2002.
19. Lide, D. R., Crc Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, CRC Press, Boca Raton, 2006.