In this paper, we consider the problem of bistatic multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) radar systems design for parameters estimation. Maximum channel capacity is used as criterion for the problem of optimal systems design under transmitted power constraint and channel constraint. We obtain that the system design based on maximum channel capacity can be expressed as a joint optimization problem. Given the number of transmit antenna, the number of receive antenna and signal-noise ratio (SNR), the maximum channel capacity can be determined. This maximum channel capacity can be obtained from a unique appropriate power allocation and antenna placement strategy, which is very important for system design.
"MIMO Radar Systems Design Based on Maximum Channel Capacity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 34, 313-326, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERB11072101
1. Li, J. and P. Stoica, "MIMO radar with colocated antennas: Review of some recent work," IEEE Signal Process. Mag., Vol. 24, No. 5, 106-114, 2007. doi:10.1109/MSP.2007.904812
2. Haimovich, A. M., R. S. Blum, and L. Cimini, "MIMO radar with widely separated antennas," IEEE Signal Process. Mag., Vol. 25, No. 1, 116-129, 2008. doi:10.1109/MSP.2008.4408448
3. Chen, H.-W., X. Li, J. Yang, W. Zhou, and Z. W. Zhuang, "Effects of geometry configurations on ambiguity properties for bistatic MIMO radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 30, 117-133, 2011.
4. Lesturgie, M., "Improvement of high-frequency surface waves radar performances by use of multiple-input multiple-output configurations," IET Radar Sonar Navig., Vol. 3, No. 1, 49-61, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-rsn:20070116
5. Li, J. and P. Stoica, "MIMO Radar Signal Processing," Wiley, 2008.
6. Frazer, G. J., Y. I. Abramovich, and B. A. Johnson, "Multiple-input multiple-output over-thehorizon radar: Experimental results," IET Radar Sonar Navig., Vol. 3, No. 4, 290-303, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-rsn.2008.0142
7. Li, J., L. Xu, P. Stoica, K. W. Forsythe, and D. W. Bliss, "Range compression and waveform optimization for MIMO radar: A Cramer-Rao bound based study," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 56, No. 1, 218-232, 2008. doi:10.1109/TSP.2007.901653
8. Yang, Y. and R. S. Blum, "MIMO radar waveform design based on mutual information and minimum mean-square error estimation," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 43, 330-343, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAES.2007.357137
9. Yang, Y. and R. S. Blum, "Minimax robust MIMO radar waveform design," IEEE J. Sel. Topics Signal Process., Vol. 1, No. 1, 147-155, 2007. doi:10.1109/JSTSP.2007.897056
10. Tang, B., J. Tang and Y. N. Peng, "MIMO radar waveform design in colored noise based on information theory," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 58, No. 9, 4684-4697, 2010. doi:10.1109/TSP.2010.2050885
11. Stoica, P., J. Li, and Y. Xie, "On probing signal design for MIMO radar," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 55, No. 8, 4151-4161, 2007. doi:10.1109/TSP.2007.894398
12. Bell, M. R., "Information theory and radar waveform design," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. 39, No. 5, 1578-1597, 1993. doi:10.1109/18.259642
13. He, Q., R. S. Blum, H. Godrich, and A. M. Haimovich, "Target velocity estimation and antenna placement for MIMO radar with widely separated antennas," IEEE J. Sel. Topics Signal Process., Vol. 4, No. 1, 79-100, 2010. doi:10.1109/JSTSP.2009.2038974
14. Godrich, H., A. M. Haimovich, and R. S. Blum, "Target localization accuracy gain in MIMO radar-based systems," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. 56, No. 6, 2783-2803, 2010. doi:10.1109/TIT.2010.2046246
15. Robey, F. C., S. Coutts, D. Weikle, J. C. McHarg, and K. Cuomo, "MIMO radar theory and experimental results," Proc. 38th Asilomar Conf. Signals, Syst. Comput., Vol. 1, 300-304, 2004.
16. Nehorai, A. and E. Paldi, "Acoustic vector-sensor array processing," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 42, 2481-2491, 1994. doi:10.1109/78.317869
17. Cover, T. M. and J. A. Thomas, Elements of Information Theory, Wiley, New York, 1991. doi:10.1002/0471200611
18. Johnson, D. H. and D. E. Dudgeon, Array Signal Proccesing: Concepts and Techniques, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1993.
19. Telatar, I. E. and Europ. Trans. Telecomm., "Capacity of multi-antenna gaussian channels,", Vol. 10, No. 6, 585-595, 1999.
20. Stoica, P., Y. Jiang, and J. Li, "On MIMO channel capacity: An intuitive discussion," IEEE Signal Process. Mag., Vol. 24, No. 3, 83-84, 2005. doi:10.1109/MSP.2005.1425912
21. Horn, R. A. and C. R. Johnson, Matrix Analysis, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, UK, 1985.
22. Boyd, , S. and L. Vandenberghe, Convex Optimization, Cambridge University Press, New York, 2004.
23. Bliss, D. W., K. W. Forsythe, A. O. Hero, and A. F. Yegulalp, "Environmental issues for MIMO capacity," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 50, No. 9, 2128-2142, 2002. doi:10.1109/TSP.2002.801914