The aim of this paper is to propose and evaluate a semi-empirical propagation modeling for radiating cable used in indoor environments. This propagation modeling takes into consideration propagation mechanisms such as reflections, penetration loss and cable termination that result from a particular environment, as well as specific cable paths that actual propagation models for radiating cable systems have not considered. The proposed modeling is carried out using three different propagation models and has been experimentally validated by sets of measurements performed in a university building in the frequency range from 900 MHz to 2.5 GHz. A careful selection of the data sets validates the robustness of the proposed model. The results show a mean of the error less than 1 dB while the standard deviation is between 2.2 dB and 4.6 dB in all cases. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first time such a robust modeling for radiating cable operating between 900 MHz to 2.5 GHz has been presented.
Jorge Alberto Sesena-Osorio,
Ignacio E. Zaldivar-Huerta,
"Indoor Propagation Modeling for Radiating Cable Systems in the Frequency Range of 900-2500 MHz
," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 47, 241-262, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB12102314
1. Higashino, T., K. Tsukamoto, and D. Komaki, "Radio on leaky coaxial cable (RoLCX) system and its applications," Proceedings of PIERS, 40-41, Beijing, China, March 2009.
2. Higashino, T., K. Tsukamoto, and D. Komaki, "Radio on LCX as universal radio platform and its application," PIERS Proceedings, 773-776, Xi'an, China, March 2010.
3. Nishikawa, K., T. Higashino, K. Tsukamoto, and S. Komaki, "A new position detection method using leaky coaxial cable," IEICE Electronics Express, Vol. 5, No. 8, 285-290, April 2008. doi:10.1587/elex.5.285
4. Weber, M., U. Birkel, R. Collmann, and J. Engelbrecht, "Comparison of various methods for indoor RF fingerprinting using leaky feeder cable," Proceedings of 7th Workshop on Positioning Navigation and Communication (WPNC), 291-298, 2010.
5. Tolstrup, M., Indoor Radio Planning A Practical Guide for GSM, DCS, UMTS and HSPA, 1st Ed., Wiley, England, 2008.
6. Chen, H.-M. and M. Chen, "Capacity of the distributed antenna systems over shadowed fading channels," Proceedings of IEEE 69th Vehicular Technology Conference, 1-4, 2009.
7. Zhou, S., M. Zhao, X. Xu, J. Wang, and Y. Yao, "Distributed wireless communication system: A new architecture for future public wireless access," IEEE Communications Magazine, 108-113, March 2003. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2003.1186553
8. Saunders, S. R. and A. Aragón-Zavala, Antennas and Propagation for Wireless Communication Systems, 2nd Ed., Wiley, England, 2007.
9. Stamopoulos, I., A. Aragón, and S. R. Saunders, "Performance comparison of distributed antenna and radiating cable systems for cellular indoor environments in the DCS band," Proceedings of Twelfth International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 771-774, 2003.
10. Dudley, S. E. M., T. J. Quinlan, and S. D. Walker, "Ultrabroadband wireless-optical transmission links using axial slot leaky feeders and optical fiber for underground transport topologies ," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 57, No. 6, 3471-3476, November 2008. doi:10.1109/TVT.2008.920055
11. Feng, L., X. Yang, Z. Wang, and Y. Li, "The application of leaky coaxial cable in road vehicle communication system," Proceedings of 9th International Symposium on Antennas Propagation and EM Theory, 1015-1018, 2010.
12. Morgan, S. P., "Prediction of indoor wireless coverage by leaky coaxial cable using ray tracing," IEEE Transaction on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 48, No. 6, 2005-2014, November 1999. doi:10.1109/25.806793
13. Liénard, M., P. Mariage, J. Vandamme, and P. Degauque, "Radiowave retransmission in confined areas using radiating cable: Theoretical and experimental study," Proceedings of IEEE 44th Vehicular Technology Conference, 938-941, 1994.
14. Carter, K., "Prediction propagation loss from leaky coaxial cable terminated with an indoor antenna," Proceedings of 8th Virginia Tech/MPRG Symposium Wireless Communications, 71-82, 1998.
15. Zhang, Y. P., "Indoor radiated-mode leaky feeder propagation at 2.0 GHz," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 50, No. 2, 536-545, March 2001. doi:10.1109/25.923065
16. Chehri, A. and H. Mouftah, "Radio channel characterization through leaky feeder for different frequency bands," Proceedings of IEEE 21st International Symposium on Personal Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications , 347-351, 2010.