This paper proposes an imaging scheme using a random sparse array (RSA) structure for radar target detection using compressed sensing (CS). The array collects sparse measurements with less collection time and data storage. Two schemes of the RSA are considered, random SAR mode and random array mode. Performances of both static and moving target detections are investigated. Performance of RSA with CS is compared with that using full SAR data with conventional back-projection (BP) method for static target detection and full uniform linear array (ULA) data with conventional beamforming (CBF) method for moving target detection. Simulation and real experimental tests are provided to verify the proposed target imaging scheme. Results show that RSA imaging with CS can perform better than normal SAR and ULA with conventional imaging methods. However, when environment is complicated and background too noisy, CS may have degraded performance.
"Target Detection from Microwave Imaging Based on Random Sparse Array and Compressed Sensing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 53, 333-354, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB13051701
1. Candes, E., J. Romberg, and T. Tao, "Robust uncertainty principles: Exact signal reconstruction from highly incomplete frequency information," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. 52, 489-509, Feb. 2006. doi:10.1109/TIT.2005.862083
2. Candes, E., J. Romberg, and T. Tao, "Stable signal recovery from incomplete and inaccurate measurements," Comm. Pure Appl. Math., Vol. 59, 1207-1223, Mar. 2006. doi:10.1002/cpa.20124
4. Baraniuk, R. and P. Steeghs, "Compressive radar imaging," Proc. 2007 IEEE Radar Conference, 128-133, 2007.
5. Patel, V. M., G. R. Easley, D. M. Healy, R. Chellappa, and Jr., "Compressed synthetic aperture radar," IEEE J. Sel. Topics Signal Process., Vol. 4, No. 2, 244-254, Apr. 2010. doi:10.1109/JSTSP.2009.2039181
6. Wei, S. J., X. L. Zhang, J. Shi, and G. Xiang, "Sparse reconstruction for SAR imaging based on compressed sensing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 63-81, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10080805
7. Alonso, M. T., P. López-Dekker, and J. J. Mallorquí, "A novel strategy for radar imaging based on compressive sensing," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 48, No. 12, 4285-4295, Dec. 2010. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2010.2051231
8. Wei, S. J., X. L. Zhang, and J. Shi, "Linear array SAR imaging via compressed sensing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 299-319, 2011.
9. Li, J., S. Zhang, and J. Chang, "Applications of compressed sensing for multiple transmitters multiple azimuth beams SAR imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 259-275, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12021307
10. Yang, J. G., J. Thompson, X. T. Huang, T. Jin, and Z. M. Zhou, "Random-frequency SAR imaging based on compressed sensing," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., 1-12, 2012.
11. Kurtz, J. L. and R. J. Tan, "Sparse array of RF sensors for sensing through the wall," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 6547, 5470B1-11, 2007.
12. Ao, Z. J., L. J. Kong, Y. Jia, and J. Y. Yang, "Multi-channel target cooperative detection in through-the-wall-radar imaging based on random sparse array," IEEE CIE International Conference on Radar, Vol. 1, 176-178, 2011.
13. Carin, L., "On the relationship between compressive sensing and random sensor arrays ," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Mag., Vol. 51, 72-81, 2009. doi:10.1109/MAP.2009.5432044
14. Carin, L., L. Dehong, and G. Bin, "Coherence, compressive sensing, and random sensor arrays," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Mag., Vol. 53, 28-39, 2011. doi:10.1109/MAP.2011.6097283
15. Soumekh, M., Synthetic Aperture Radar Signal Processing with MATLAB Algorithms, Wiley, 1999.
16. Marcelo, A., P. Pau, and S. Rolf, "Applications of time-domain back-projection SAR processing in the airborne case," Proc. 7th European Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar, 1-4, Jun. 2008.
17. Donoho, D., M. Elad, and V. N. Temlyakov, "Stable recovery of sparse overcomplete representations in the presence of noise," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. 52, No. 1, 6-18, Jan. 2006. doi:10.1109/TIT.2005.860430
18. Candes, E. and J. Romberg, "Sparsity and incoherence in compressed sensing," Inverse Problems, Vol. 23, 2006.
19. Goldstein, T. and S. Osher, "The split Bregman method for L1-regularized problems," SIAM Journal on Imaging Sciences, Vol. 2, 285-322, 2009.
20. Romberg, J., L1-magic, Aug. 2008, available: http://www.acm.caltech.edu/l1magic/.
21. Mallat, S., A Wavelet Tour of Signal Processing, Academic Press, 1999.
22. Needell, D. and R. Vershynin, "Uniform uncertainty principle and signal recovery by regularization orthogonal matching pursuit," Journal Foundations of Computational Mathematics, Vol. 9, Apr. 2009.
23. Needell, D. and R. Vershynin, "Greedy signal recovery and uncertainty principles," Proc. SPIE, 68140J, Bellingham, WA, 2008.
24. Donoho, D. L., I. Drori, Y. Tsaig, and J. L. Starck, "Sparse solution of underdetermined systems of linear equations by stagewise orthogonal matching pursuit," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. 58, 1094-1121, Feb. 2012. doi:10.1109/TIT.2011.2173241
25. Dissanayake, G., S. Sukkarieh, E. Nebot, and H. Durrant-Whyte, "The aiding of a low-cost strapdown inertial measurement unit using vehicle model constraints for land vehicle applications," IEEE Trans. Robot. Automat., Vol. 17, 731-747, 2001. doi:10.1109/70.964672
26. Cao, F. X., D. K. Yang, A. G. Xu, J. Ma, W. D. Xiao, C. L. Law, K. V. Ling, and H. C. Chua, "Low cost SINS/GPS integration for and vehicle navigation," Proc. ITSC 2002, 910-913, 2002.
27. Huang, L. and Y. L. Lu, "Radar imaging with compressed sensing for detecting moving targets behind walls," IET International Conference on Radar Systems, 2012.
28. Yoon, Y.-S. and M. G. Amin, "Compressed sensing technique for high-resolution radar imaging," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 6968, 696 81A.1-696 81A.10, May 2008.
29. Amin, M., F. Ahmad, and W. J. Zhang, "A compressive sensing approach to moving target indication for urban sensing," Proc. 2011 IEEE Radar Conference, 509-512, 2011.