This paper describes the working principle of a three-dimensional (3-D) holographic microwave imaging (HMI) method for imaging small inclusion embedded in a dielectric object. Using published dielectric properties of various materials, a 3-D mathematical model is developed under the MATLAB environment to validate the HMI on various dielectric objects. Results indicate that the 3-D HMI has an ability to produce a 3-D image and detect small inclusions embedded within a dielectric object. Several potential applications of the 3-D HMI method includes biological tissues imaging, security screening and packaged food evaluation.
Ahmed M. Al-Jumaily,
"Imaging of 3-d
Dielectric Objects Using Far-Field Holographic Microwave Imaging Technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 61, 135-147, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERB14082001
1. Ghavami, N., G. Tiberi, D. J. Edwards, and A. Monorchio, "UWB microwave imaging of objects with canonical shape," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 1, 231-239, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2167905
2. Irishina, N., "Microwave medical imaging using level set techniques,", Ph.D. Dissertation, Charles III University of Madrid, Spain, 2009.
3. Nikolova, N. K., "Microwave imaging for breast cancer," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 12, No. 7, 78-94, 2011. doi:10.1109/MMM.2011.942702
4. Hassan, A. M. and E. Shenawee, "Review of electromagnetic techniques for breast cancer detection," IEEE Reviews in Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 4, 103-118, 2011. doi:10.1109/RBME.2011.2169780
5. Zhu, G. K., "Application of microwave techniques in breast imaging,", Ph.D. Thesis, McGill University, Montreal, Canada, 2011.
6. Klemm, M., I. J. Craddock, J. A. Leendertz, A. Preece, and R. Benjamin, "Radar-based breast cancer detection using a hemispherical antenna array — Experimental results," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 6, 1692-1704, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2019856
7. Klemm, M., J. Leendertz, D. Gibbins, I. J. Craddock, A. Preece, and R. Benjamin, "Microwave radar-based differential breast cancer imaging: Imaging in homogeneous breast phantoms and low contrast scenarios," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2337-2344, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2048860
8. Fang, Q., P. M. Meaney, S. D. Geimer, A. V. Streltsov, and K. D. Paulsen, "Microwave image reconstruction from 3-D fields coupled to 2-D parameter estimation," IEEE Trans. on Medical Imaging, Vol. 23, No. 4, 475-484, 2004. doi:10.1109/TMI.2004.824152
9. Rubæk, T., O. S. Kim, and P. Meincke, "Computational validation of a 3-D microwave imaging system for breast-cancer screening," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 7, 2105-2115, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2021879
10. Fear, E. C., "Microwave imaging of the breast," Technology in Cancer Research & Treatment, Vol. 4, No. 1, 69-82, 2005. doi:10.1177/153303460500400110
11. Tipa, R. and O. Baltag, "Microwave thermography for cancer detection," Romanian Journal of Physics, Vol. 51, No. 3-4, 371, 2006.
12. Grzegorczyk, T. M., P. M. Meaney, P. A. Kaufman, R. M. di Florio-Alexander, and K. D. Paulsen, "Fast 3-D tomographic microwave imaging for breast cancer detection," IEEE Trans. on Medical Imaging, Vol. 31, No. 8, 1584-1592, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMI.2012.2197218
13. Smith, D., M. Leach, M. Elsdon, and S. J. Foti, "Indirect holographic techniques for determining antenna radiation characteristics and imaging aperture fields," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 1, 54-67, 2007. doi:10.1109/MAP.2007.370982
14. Ravan, M., R. K. Amineh, and N. K. Nikolova, "Two-dimensional near-field microwave holography," Inverse Problems, Vol. 26, No. 5, 055011, 2010. doi:10.1088/0266-5611/26/5/055011
15. Amineh, R. K., M. Ravan, A. Khalatpour, and N. K. Nikolova, "Three-dimensional near-field microwave holography using reflected and transmitted signals," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 12, 4777-4789, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2165496
16. Jayanthy, M., N. Selvanathan, M. Abu-Bakar, D. Smith, H. M. Elgabroun, P. M. Yeong, and S. S. Kumar, "Microwave holographic imaging technique for tumour detection," 3rd Kuala Lumpur International Conference on Biomedical Engineering, 275-277, 2006.
17. Meaney, P. M., M. W. Fanning, T. Raynolds, C. J. Fox, Q. Fang, C. A. Kogel, and K. D. Paulsen, "Initial clinical experience with microwave breast imaging in women with normal mammography," Academic Radiology, Vol. 14, No. 2, 207-218, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.acra.2006.10.016
18. Halter, R. J., T. Zhou, P. M. Meaney, A. Hartov, R. J. Barth, Jr., K. M. Rosenkranz, and K. D. Paulsen, "The correlation of in vivo and ex vivo tissue dielectric properties to validate electromagnetic breast imaging: Initial clinical experience," Physiological Measurement, Vol. 30, No. 6, S121, 2009. doi:10.1088/0967-3334/30/6/S08
19. Meaney, P. M., P. A. Kaufman, L. S. Muffly, M. Click, S. P. Poplack, W. A. Wells, and K. D. Paulsen, "Microwave imaging for neoadjuvant chemotherapy monitoring: Initial clinical experience," Breast Cancer Res., Vol. 15, No. 2, 1-16, 2013. doi:10.1186/bcr3418
20. Fear, E. C., J. Bourqui, C. Curtis, D. Mew, B. Docktor, and C. Romano, "Microwave breast imaging with a monostatic radar-based system: A study of application to patients," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 5, 2119-2128, 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2013.2255884
21. Wang, L., R. Simpkin, and A. M. Al-Jumaily, "Holographic microwave imaging array for early breast cancer detection," ASME 2012 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, 45-51, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2012.
22. Wang, L., A. M. Al-Jumaily, and R. Simpkin, "Holographic microwave imaging array for brain stroke detection," Journal of Signal and Information Processing, Vol. 4, No. 3B, 96-101, 2013. doi:10.4236/jsip.2013.43B017
23. Wang, L., R. Simpkin, and A. M. Al-Jumaily, "Holographic microwave imaging for medical applications," Journal of Biomedical Science and Engineering, Vol. 6, 823-833, 2013. doi:10.4236/jbise.2013.68100
24. Wang, L., R. Simpkin, and A. M. Al-Jumaily, "3D breast cancer imaging using holographic microwave interferometry," Proceedings of the 27th Conference on Image and Vision Computing, 180-185, ACM, New Zealand, 2012.
25. Wang, L., R. Simpkin, and A.M. Al-Jumaily, "Holographic microwave imaging array: Experimental investigation of breast tumour detection," 2013 IEEE International Workshop on Electromagnetics (iWEM), 61-64, 2013.
26. Wang, L., R. Simpkin, and A.M. Al-Jumaily, "Open-ended waveguide antenna for microwave breast cancer detection," 2013 IEEE International Workshop on Electromagnetics (iWEM), 65-68, 2013.
27. Wang, L., A. M. Al-Jumaily, and R. Simpkin, "Antenna array configuration in holographic microwave imaging," 2014 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, Paper No. IMECE2014-36556, Montreal, Canada, Nov. 14-20, 2014.
28. Wang, L., "Holographic microwave imaging for lesion detection," Doctoral Dissertation, Auckland University of Technology, 2013.
29. Levanda, R. and A. Leshem, "Synthetic aperture radio telescopes," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 27, No. 1, 14-29, 2010. doi:10.1109/MSP.2009.934719
30. Silver, S., "Radiation from current distributions," Microwave Antenna Theory and Design, 87-90, S. Peter Peregrinus Ltd., London, UK, 1984.
31. Lazebnik, M., D. Popovic, L. McCartney, C. B. Watkins, M. J. Lindstrom, J. Harter, and S. C. Hagness, "A large-scale study of the ultrawideband microwave dielectric properties of normal, benign and malignant breast tissues obtained from cancer surgeries," Physics in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 52, No. 20, 6093, 2007. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/52/20/002