We present the application to transmission line systems of a new theory of the optical theorem that describes the energy budget of electromagnetic scattering in lossless wave propagation media. The insight gained by exploring this, simplest of the electromagnetic wave propagation systems from the point of view of the optical theorem, is important for understanding power budget of electromagnetic scattering due to the presence of targets in a medium, and of changes of loads due to parasitics, faults, switching, and other reasons, in transmission lines, with applications to quality control in manufacturing, self-monitoring of microwave circuits, and the detection of load changes and faults in power transmission and distribution systems. The results also apply to more general electromagnetic propagation systems and are relevant for the development of novel electromagnetic (e.g., microwave, terahertz) and optical sensors.
Edwin A. Marengo,
"Optical Theorem for Transmission Lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 61, 253-268, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERB14090905
2. Newton, R. G., Scattering Theory of Waves and Particles, 2nd edition, Springer-Verlag, New York, NY, USA , 1982. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-88128-2
3. Marengo, E. A., "A new theory of the generalized optical theorem in anisotropic media," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, 2164-2179, Apr. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2233702
4. Kong, J. A., Electromagnetic Wave Theory, EMW Publishing, Cambridge, MA, 2005.
5. Fink, M., "Time reversal of ultrasonic fields. Part I: Basic principles," IEEE Trans. Ultrason., Ferroelectrics, Freq. Control, Vol. 39, No. 5, 555-566, Sep. 1992. doi:10.1109/58.156174
6. Carminati, R., R. Pierrat, J. de Rosny, and M. Fink, "Theory of the time reversal cavity for electromagnetic fields," Opt. Lett., Vol. 32, No. 21, 3107-3109, Nov. 2007. doi:10.1364/OL.32.003107
7. Marengo, E. A., "Target detection based on the optical theorem," 2013 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 348-349, Orlando, Florida, Jul. 7-13, 2013.
8. Marengo, E. A. and F. K. Gruber, "Optical-theorem-based coherent scatterer detection in complex nvironments," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2013, Paper 231729, 12 Pages, 2013.
9. Ulaby, F. T., E. Michielssen, and U. Ravaioli, Fundamentals of Applied Electromagnetics, 6th Edition, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ , 2010.
10. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1989.
11. Saeed, K., M. F. Shafique, M. B. Byrne, and I. C. Hunter, "Planar microwave sensors for complex permittivity characterization of materials and their applications," Applied Measurement Systems, Z. Haq (ed.), InTech, 2012, ISBN: 978-953-51-0103-1.