This paper deals with the computation of vibrations and noise of electromagnetic origin for `U'-shaped stator core flux switching permanent magnet (FSPM) machines. The investigation concerns a family of FSPM stator/rotor configurations with 12 slots and 10, 11, 13, and 14 rotor poles. More precisely, the study focuses on the influence of different number of rotor poles on the sound power level of U-core FSPM machines. Electromagnetic forces acting on the stator frame inner surface are calculated with the Maxwell stress tensor thanks to 2-D finite element (FE) simulations. The local magnetic force density serves then as a boundary condition to the 3-D finite element vibrational simulations of the whole stator frame with housing. Finally, obtained displacements help the authors to conduct the acoustic computations using a dedicated 3-D FE analysis model. The obtained vibro-acoustic spectra help electric machines designers to make appropriate choice of stator/rotor pole combination with respect to specifications at early stages of the design process.
"Influence of Slots and Rotor Poles Combinations on Noise and Vibrations of Magnetic Origins in `U'-Core Flux-Switching Permanent Magnet Machines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 61, 149-168, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERB14100902
1. Chen, J. T. and Z. Q. Zhu, "Winding configurations and optimal stator and rotor pole combination of flux-switching PM brushless AC machines," IEEE Trans. Energy Conversion, Vol. 25, No. 2, 293-302, 2010. doi:10.1109/TEC.2009.2032633
2. Rauch, S. E. and L. J. Johnson, "Design principles of flux-switching alternators," AIEE Trans. Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. 74, No. 3, 1261-1268, 1955. doi:10.1109/AIEEPAS.1955.4499226
3. Hoang, E., A. H. Ben-Ahmed, and J. Lucidarme, "Switching flux PM polyphased synchronous machines," Proc. 7th European Conference on Power Electronics, Vol. 3, 903-908, 1997.
4. Boisson, J., F. Louf, J. Ojeda, X. Mininger, and M. Gabsi, "Magnetic forces and vibrational behavior analysis for flux switching permanent magnet machines," Proc. 20th International Conference on Electrical Machines, 2988-2993, 2012.
5. Shen, J.-X. and W.-Z. Fei, "Permanent magnet flux switching machines — Topologies, analysis and optimization," Proc. fourth International Conference on Power Engineering, Energy and Electrical Drives, 352-366, 2013. doi:10.1109/PowerEng.2013.6635633
6. Ilhan, E., M. F. J. Kremers, E. T. Motoasca, J. J. H. Paulides, and E. A. Lomonova, "Sensitivity analysis for phase inductances in flux-switching PM machines," Proc. 20th International Conference on Electrical Machines, 763-768, 2012.
7. Zhu, Z. Q., Z. P. Xia, L. J. Wu, and G. W. Jewell, "Influence of slot and pole number combination on radial force and vibration modes in fractional slot PM brushless machines having single- and double-layer windings," Proc. Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition, 3443-3450, 2009.
8. Zhu, Z. Q., Y. Pang, D. Howe, S. Iwasaki, R. Deodhar, and A. Pride, "Analysis of electromagnetic performance of flux-switching permanent-magnet machines by nonlinear adaptive lumped parameter magnetic circuit model," IEEE Trans. Magnetics, Vol. 41, No. 11, 4277-4287, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2005.854441
9. Sidker, C., I. Husain, and W. Ouyang, "Cogging torque reduction in flux-switching permanent magnet machines by rotor pole shaping," Proc. IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition, 1555-1562, 2013.
10. Zhu, Z. Q. and J. T. Chen, "Advanced flux-switching permanent magnet brushless machines," IEEE Trans. Magnetics, Vol. 46, No. 6, 1447-1453, 2010. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2010.2044481
11. Hua, W., M. Cheng, Z. Q. Zhu, and D. Howe, "Analysis and optimization of back EMF waveform of a flux-switching permanent magnet motor," motor,” IEEE Trans. Energy Conversion, Vol. 23, No. 3, 727-733, 2008. doi:10.1109/TEC.2008.918612
12. Chen, J. T. and Z. Q. Zhu, "Coil connections and winding factors in flux-switching PM brushless AC machines," COMPEL, Vol. 30, No. 1, 84-97, 2011. doi:10.1108/03321641111091458
13. Kim, D. H., D. A. Lowther, and J. K. Sykulski, "Efficient global and local force calculations based on continuum sensitivity analysis," IEEE Trans. Magnetics, Vol. 43, No. 4, 1177-1180, 2007. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2006.890949
14. Melcher, J. R., Continuum Electromechanics, MIT Press, 1981.
15. Kim, D. H., D. A. Lowther, and J. K. Sykulski, "Efficient force calculations based on continuum sensitivity analysis," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 41, No. 5, 1404-1407, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2005.844343
16. Li, M. and D. A. Lowther, "Local electromagnetic force computation in the presence of numerical field errors," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 3, 1344-1347, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2009.2012621
17. Wang, C., J. C. S. Lai, and D. W. J. Pulle, "Prediction of acoustic noise from variable-speed induction motors: Determinist versus statistical approaches," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 38, No. 4, 1037-1044, 2002. doi:10.1109/TIA.2002.800567
18. Wang, C. and J. C. S. Lai, "Vibration analysis of an induction motor," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 224, No. 4, 733-756, 1999. doi:10.1006/jsvi.1999.2208
20. Watanabe, S., S. Kenjo, K. Ide, F. Sato, and M. Yamamoto, "Natural frequencies and vibration behaviour of motor stators," IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. 102, No. 4, 949-956, 1983. doi:10.1109/TPAS.1983.317808
21. Singal, R. K., K. Williams, and S. P. Verma, "Theoretical and experimental study of vibrational behaviour of laminated stators of electrical machines," Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 6, No. 6, 535-549, 1992. doi:10.1016/0888-3270(92)90048-N
22. Torregrossa, D., F. Peyraut, B. Fahimi, J. M’Boua, and A. Miraoui, "Multiphysics finite-element modeling for vibration and acoustic analysis of permanent magnet synchronous machine," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 26, No. 2, 490-500, 2011. doi:10.1109/TEC.2010.2080681
23. Girgis, R. S. and S. P. Verma, "Resonant frequencies and vibration behaviour of stators of electrical machines as affected by teeth, windings, frame and laminations," IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. 98, No. 4, 1446-1455, 1979. doi:10.1109/TPAS.1979.319347
24. Williams, K., R. K. Singal, and S. P. Verma, "Vibrations of long and short laminated stators of electrical machines. Part II: Results for long stators," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 129, No. 1, 15-29, 1989. doi:10.1016/0022-460X(89)90532-4
25. Zhu, Z. Q. and D. Howe, "Electromagnetic noise radiated by brushless permanent magnet DC drives," International Conference on Electrical Machines and Drives, 606-611, 1993.
26. Lanfranchi, V., A. Aıt-Hammouda, G. Friedrich, M. Hecquet, and A. Randria, "Vibratory and acoustic behavior of induction traction motors, machine design improvement," Industry Applications Conference, 843-848, IAS Annual Meeting, 2006.
27. Long, S. A., Z. Q. Zhu, and D. Howe, "Vibration behaviour of stators of switched reluctance motors," IEE Proceedings on Eletric Power Applications, Vol. 148, No. 3, 257-264, 2001. doi:10.1049/ip-epa:20010255
28. Wang, H. and K. Williams, "Effects of laminations on the vibrational behaviour of electrical machine stators," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 202, No. 5, 703-715, 1997. doi:10.1006/jsvi.1996.0845
29. Garvey, S. D., "The vibrational behaviour of laminated components in electrical machines," International Conference on Electrical Machines and Drives, 226-231, 1989.
30. Garvey, S. D., J. E. T. Penny, M. I. Friswell, and A. W. Lees, "The stiffening effect of laminated rotor cores on flexible-rotor electrical machines," International Conference on Vibrations in Rotating Machinery, 193-202, 2004.
31. Verma, S. P. and A. Balan, "Determination of radial-forces in relation to noise and vibration problems of squirrel-cage induction motors," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 9, No. 2, 404-412, 1994. doi:10.1109/60.300130
33. Bouzek, L. and R. Pechanek, "Vibration behaviour of the asynchronous machine magnetic core," European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, 1-7, 2013.
34. Borisavljevic, A., "Limits, modeling and design of high-speed permanent magnet machines,", Springer Theses, Recognizing Outstanding Ph. D. Research, Springer-Verlag, 2013.
35. Niu, M. C. Y., Composite Airframe Structures, 3rd Edition, Hong Kong Conmilit Press Limited, 2010.
36. Ting, T. C. T. and T. Chen, "Poisson’s ratio for anisotropic elastic materials can have no bounds," The Quarterly Journal of Mechanics and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 58, No. 1, 73-82, 2005. doi:10.1093/qjmamj/hbh021
37. Reinhardt, F. and H. Soeder, "Atlas des mathematiques,", La Pochotheque, Encyclopedies d’Aujourd’hui, Librairie Generale Fran¸caise, 1997.
38. Tang, Z., P. Pillay, A. M. Omekanda, C. Li, and C. Cetinkaya, "Young’s modulus for laminated machine structures with particular reference to switched reluctance motors vibrations," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 40, No. 3, 748-754, 2004. doi:10.1109/TIA.2004.827460
39. Wang, C., J. C. Lai, and A. Astfalck, "Sound power radiated from an inverter driven induction motor. Part 3: Statistical energy analysis," IEE Proceedings on Electric Power Applications, Vol. 152, No. 3, 619-626, 2005. doi:10.1049/ip-epa:20045087
40. Fagan, M. J., Finite Element Analysis: Theory and Practice, Longman Scientific & Technical, 1992.
41. Yang, S. J., Low-noise Electrical Motors, Clarendon Press, 1981.
42. Balan, A., "Theoretical and experimental investigations on radial electromagnetic forces in relation to vibration problems of induction machines,", Ph.D. dissertation of Saskatoon University, 1997.
43. Huo, M., S. Wang, J. Xiu, and S. Cao, "Effect of magnet/slot combination on triple-frequency magnetic force and vibration of permanent magnet motors," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 332, 5965-5980, 2013. doi:10.1016/j.jsv.2013.05.022