A new method for tracking characteristic numbers and vectors appearing in the Characteristic Mode Theory is presented in this paper. The challenge here is that the spectral decomposition of the moment impedance-matrix doesn't always produce well ordered eigenmodes. This issue is addressed particularly to finite numerical accuracy and slight nonsymmetry of the frequency-dependent matrix. At specific frequencies, the decomposition problem might be ill-posed and non-uniquely defined as well. Hence an advanced tracking procedure has been developed to deal with noisy modes, non-continuous behavior of eigenvalues, mode swapping etc. Proposed method has been successfully implemented into our in-house Characteristic Mode software tool for the design of microstrip patch antennas and tested for some interesting examples.
"A Method for Tracking Characteristic Numbers and Vectors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 33, 115-134, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERB11060209
1. Harrington, R. F., Field Computation by Moment Methods, John Wiley --- IEEE Press, USA, 1993.
2. Hussein, K. F. A., "Fast computational algorithm for efie applied to arbitrarily-shaped conducting surfaces," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 339-357, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06122502
3. Harrington, R. F., "Matrix methods for field problems," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 55, No. 2, 1967. doi:10.1109/PROC.1967.5433
4. Davis, H. and K. Thomson, Linear Algebra and Linear Operators in Engineering, Vol. 3, Academic Press, 2000.
5. Press, W. H., S. A. Teukolsky, W. T. Vetterling, and B. P. Flannery, Numerical Recipes in C, Cambridge Univ. Press, U.K., 1992.
6. Liu, Y., F. Safavi, S. Chadhuri, and R. Sabry, "On the determination of resonant modes of dielectric objects using surface integral equations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 4, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.825645
7. Hazdra, P. and P. Hamouz, "On the modal superposition lying under the MoM matrix equations," Radioengineering, Vol. 17, No. 3, 2008.
8. Harrington, R. F. and J. R. Mautz, "Theory of characteristic modes for conducting bodies," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 19, No. 5, 1971.
9. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, John Wiley, USA, 1989.
10. Abadir, K. and J. Magnus, Matrix Algebra, Cambridge Univ. Press, U.K., 2005.
11. Chari, M. and S. Salon, Numerical Mathods in Electromagnetism, Academic Press, 2000.
12. Cabedo, M. F., E. D. Antonino, A. N. Valero, and M. F. Bataller, "The theory of characteristic modes revisited: A contribution to the design of antennas for modern applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 5, 2007.
13. Makarov, S. N., Antenna and EM Modeling with Matlab, John Wiley, USA, 2002.
14. Anderson, E., et al. LAPACK Users' Guide, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), USA, 1999.
15. Lee, K. F., S. L. S. Yang, A. A. Kishk, and M. L. Kwai, "The versatile u-slot patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 1, 2010. doi:10.1109/MAP.2010.5466402
16. Peitgen, H. O., H. Jrgens, and D. Saupe, Chaos and Fractals, Springer, USA, 2004.
17. Arajo, M. G., J. M. Brtolo, F. Obelleiro, and J. L. Rodrguez, "Geometry based preconditioner for radiation problems involving wire and surface basis functions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 29-40, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09042104
18. Gustafsson, M. and S. Nordebo, "Bandwidth, Q factor, and resonance models of antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 62z, 1-20, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06033003
19. Fan, J.-W., C. H. Liang, and X.-W. Dai, "Design of cross-coupled dual-band filter with equal-length split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 285-293, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07060904
20. Chen, Y., H.-J. Sun, and X. Lv, "Novel design of dual-polarization broad-band and dual-band printed L-shaped probe fed microstrip patch antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 2-3, 297-308, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309787604490