A numerically efficient approach for the rigorous computation of bi-static scattering and radiation problems is presented. The approach is based on an improvement of a previous method scheme that combines the Characteristic Basis Function Method (CBFM) and the Multilevel Fast Multipole Algorithm (MLFMA). The approach combines Characteristic Basis Functions (CBFS) and subdomains functions for reducing the CPU time in the pre-process and in the solving iterative process for simple or multiple excitations. It is intended for use in very large cases where an iterative solution process cannot be avoided, even considering the matrix size reduction achieved by the CBFM. This reduction is particularly important for solving radiation or bistatic problems in which an integral equation is solved once.
2. Delgado, C., F. Catedra, and R. Mittra, "Application of the characteristic basis function method utilizing a class of basis and testing functions defined on NURBS patches ," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 3, 2008.
3. Chew, W. C., J. Jin, E. Michielssen, J. Song, and Ed., Fast and E±cient Algorithms in Computational Electromagnetics, Artech House Inc. , 2001.
4. Pan, X.-M. and X.-Q. Sheng, "A highly efficient parallel approach of multi-level fast multipole algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 8, 1081-1092, 2006.
5. Wang, P. and Y. Xie, "Scattering and radiation problem of surface/surface junction structure with multilevel fast multipole algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 15, 2189-2200, 2006.
6. Zhao, X.-W., C.-H. Liang, and L. Liang, "Multilevel fast multipole algorithm for radiation characteristics of shipborne antennas above seawater," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 291-302, 2008.
7. Zhao, X.-W., X.-J. Dang, Y. Zhang, and C.-H. Liang, "The multilevel fast multipole algorithm for EMC analysis of multiple antennas on electrically large platforms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 161-176, 2007.
8. Garcia, E., C. Delgado, I. G. Diego, and M. F. Catedra, "An iterative solution for electrically large problems combining the characteristic basis function method and the multilevel fast multipole algorithm ," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 8, 2008.
9. Garcia, E., C. Delgado, I. G. Diego, and M. F. Catedra, "A parallel MLFMA-CBFM for the analysis of complex problems," ACES Conference, 2008.
10. Garcia, , E., C. Delgado, L. Lozano, and F. Catedra, "Analysis of the parameters of an approach that combines the characteristic basis function method and the multilevel fast multipole," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 4, 419-425, 2011.
11. Encinar, J. A., "Design of two-layer printed reflectarrays using patches of variable size," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 10, 2001.
12. Workshop EM ISAE 2008, , 2008.