A full-wave analysis of the scattering parameters of a straight-to-bent microstrip line coupling is performed using a FEM technique. The numerical results, showing the influence played by the geometrical parameters of the structure on the electromagnetic coupling, are then employed to derive an equivalent circuit useful to be employed in CAD tools. A third order polynomial approximant useful to compute the equivalent circuit elements is finally provided.
"An Equivalent Circuit for EMI Prediction in Printed Circuit Boards Featuring a Straight-to-Bent Microstrip Line Coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 5, 107-118, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08020502
1. Bryant, T. G. and J. A. Weiss, "Parameters of microstrip transmission lines and coupled pairs of microstrip lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 16, No. 12, 1021-1027, 1968. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1968.1126858
2. Changhua, W., "Analytically and accurately determined quasistatic parameters of coupled microstrip lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 44, No. 1, 75-80, 1996. doi:10.1109/22.481387
3. Elsherbeni, A. Z., C. E. Smith, and B. Moumneh, "Minimization of the coupling between a two conductor microstrip transmission line using finite difference method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 12, 1-35, 1996.
4. Sabban, A. and K. C. Gupta, "A planar-lumped model for coupled microstrip lines and discontinuities," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 40, No. 2, 245-252, 1992. doi:10.1109/22.120096
5. Hill, D. A., K. H. Cavecy, and R. T. Johnk, "Crosstalk between microstrip transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 36, No. 4, 314-321, 1994. doi:10.1109/15.328861
6. Elsherbeni, A. Z., C. E. Smith, H. Golestanian, and S. He, "Quasistatic characteristics of a two-conductor multi-layer microstrip line with dielectric overlay and a notch between the strips," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 7, No. 6, 769-789, 1993. doi:10.1163/156939393X00877
7. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M., "Optimum design of microstrip interconnects using additional coupling capacitance," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 7, 973-986, 2005. doi:10.1163/156939305775468778
8. Zheng, Q. H., P. Zhang, R. H. Li, and X. Q. Zhang, "Multipole theory analysis of rectangular shielded planar striplines," Journal Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 10, 1357-1366, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779276776
9. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M., "Analysis of coupled nonuniform transmission lines using short exponential or linear sections," Journal Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 3, 299-312, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779367378
10. El-Shenawee, M. and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Analysis of signal distortion on coupled microstrip lines with an overlay and a notch," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 11, No. 12, 1627-1631, 1997. doi:10.1163/156939397X00422
11. Matsunaga, M., M. Katayama, and K. Yasumoto, "Coupled-mode analysis of line parameters of coupled microstrip lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 24, 1-17, 1999. doi:10.2528/PIER99032902
12. Watanabe, K. and K. Yasumoto, "Coupled-mode analysis of coupled microstrip transmission lines using a singular perturbation technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 25, 95-110, 2000. doi:10.2528/PIER99042602
13. Makri, R., N. K. Uzunoglu, and M. Gargalakos, "Computation of passive finite three dimensional MMIC structures using a global method of moments approach," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 16, No. 2, 159-183, 2002. doi:10.1163/156939302X00822
14. Wu, S. C., H. Y. Yang, N. G. Alexopoulos, and I. Wolff, "A rigorous dispersive characterization of microstrip cross and T junctions," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 38, No. 12, 1837-1844, 1990. doi:10.1109/22.64564
15. Gopinath, A. and C. Gupta, "Capacitance parameters of discontinuities in microstriplines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 26, No. 10, 831-836, 1978. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1978.1129495
16. Yang, H. Y., N. G. Alexopoulos, and D. R. Jackson, "Microstrip open-end and gap discontinuities in a substrate-superstrate structure," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 37, No. 10, 1542-1546, 1989. doi:10.1109/22.40999
17. Cicchetti, R. and A. Faraone, "An expansion function suited for fast full-wave spectral domain analysis of microstrip discontinuities," Int. J. Microw. Millimet. Wave Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 4, No. 3, 297-306, 1994. doi:10.1002/mmce.4570040309
18. Arshadi, A. and A. Cheldavi, "A simple and novel model for edged microstrip line (EMTL)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 233-259, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06100401
19. Rezaiesarlak, R., F. Hodjatkashani, and E. Mehrshahi, "Analysis of capacitively coupled microstrip-ring resonator based on spectral domain method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 25-33, 2008.
20. Moore, J. and H. Ling, "Characterization of a 90 degree microstrip bend with arbitrary miter via the time-domain finite difference method," Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 38, No. 4, 405-410, 1990. doi:10.1109/22.52581
21. Hashemi-Nasab, M. and A. Cheldavi, "Coupling model for the two orthogonal microstrip lines in two layer PCB board (quasi-TEM approach) ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 153-163, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05040601
22. Bernardi, P., R. Cicchetti, and A. Faraone, "EMC-oriented full-wave modeling of passive MIMIC structures for wireless applications," Special Issue on Millimeter Waves of the Ann. Telecom., Vol. 52, No. 3-4, 155-163, 1997.
23. Cicchetti, R. and A. Faraone, "A full-wave radiation model for a class of gridded ground interconnecting structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 47, No. 1, 212-213, 1999. doi:10.1109/8.753012
24. Martini, E., G. Pelosi, and S. Selleri, "A hybrid finite-element-modal-expansion method with a new type of curvilinear mapping for the analysis of microwave passive devices," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 6, 1712-1717, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.812571
25. Limiti, E., E. Martini, G. Pelosi, M. Pierozzi, and S. Selleri, "Efficient hybrid finite elements — modal expansion method for microstrip-to-waveguide transitions analysis," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 15, No. 8, 1027-1035, 2001. doi:10.1163/156939301X00373
26. Bernardi, P., R. Cicchetti, G. Pelosi, A. Reatti, S. Selleri, and M. Tatini, "Full wave analysis of straight-to-bent microstrip line coupling," EMC Europe Workshop 2005, 283-286, 2005.
27. Bilzer, H., P. Schuh, F. M. Pitsch, and W. Menzel, "A new modular design for test and application PCBs of SAW RF filters to ensure precisely predictable filter characteristics," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 12, 2712-2717, 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.838300
28. Graglia, R. D., D. R. Wilton, and A. F. Peterson, "Higher order interpolatory vector bases for computational electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, No. 3, 329-342, 1997. doi:10.1109/8.558649
29. Cavanna, T., E. Franzese, E. Limiti, G. Pelosi, S. Selleri, and A. Suriani, "Coplanar to rectangular waveguide millimeter-waves transitions manufacturing tolerance analysis with the finite element method," Int. J. of RF and Microw. Comp. Aided Eng., Vol. 16, No. 2, 118-124, 2006. doi:10.1002/mmce.20104
30. Chang, K., Hanbook of Microwave and Optical Components, Vol. 1, Microwave Passive and Antenna Components, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1997.