In this paper a transfer matrix treatment for the reflectivity and transmissivity spectra of electromagnetic waves propagating in a nano sized multilayer periodic structure has been presented. Effect of varying the angle of incidence on the photonic bandgaps is shown. The design of a tunable polarizer by reflection which is more efficient in comparison to that obtained by reflection from a single dielectric slab, has been suggested.
Nishakant K. Mishra,
"Design of a Tunable Polarizer Using a One–Dimensional Nano Sized Photonic Bandgap Structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 5, 133-152, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08021004
1. Sigalas, M. M., C. M. Soukoulis, C. T. Chan, R. Biswas, and K. M. Ho, "Effect of disorder on photonic bandgaps," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 59, 12767-12770, 1999. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.59.12767
2. Johnson, S. G. and J. D. Joannopoulos, "Introduction to photonic crystal: Bloch's theorem, band diagrams and gaps (but no defects)," Photonic Crystal Tutorial, 1-16, 2003, http://ab-initio.mit.edu/photons/tutorial/.
3. Yeh, P., A. Yariv, and C. S. Hong, "Electromagnetic propagation in periodic stratified media. I. General theory," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 67, 423-438, 1977.
4. Sakoda, K., Optical Properties of Photonic Crystals, Springer, Germany, 2001.
5. Yablonovitch, E., "Inhibited spontaneous emission in solid state physics and electromagnetics," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, 2059, 1987. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.58.2059
6. Mekis, A., M. Meier, A. Dodabalapur, R. E. Slusher, and J. D. Joannopulos, "Lasing mechanism in two-dimensional photonic crystal lasers," Appl. Phy. A: Materials Science and Processing, Vol. 69, 111-114, 1999. doi:10.1007/s003390050981
7. Painter, O., R. K. Lee, A. Scherer, A. Yariv, J. D. O'Brien, P. D. Dappus, and I. Kim, "Two-dimensional photonic band-gap defect mode laser," Science, Vol. 284, 1819-1821, 1999. doi:10.1126/science.284.5421.1819
8. Noda, S., M. Yokoyama, M. Imada, A. Chutinan, and M. Mochizuki, "Polarisation mode control of two-dimensional photonic crystal laser by unit cell structure design," Science, Vol. 293, 1123-1125, 2001. doi:10.1126/science.1061738
9. Knight, J. C., J. Broeng, T. A. Bieks, and P. S. J. Russell, "Photonic band gap guidance in optical fibers," Science, Vol. 282, 1476-1479, 1998. doi:10.1126/science.282.5393.1476
10. Ziolkowski, R. W. and M. Tanaka, "FDTD analysis of PBG waveguides, power splitters and switches," Opt. Quant. Electron., Vol. 31, 843-855, 1999. doi:10.1023/A:1006964830895
11. Ozbay, E., M. Bayindir, I. Bulu, and E. Cubukcu, "Investigation of localized coupled cavity modes in two-dimensional photonic bandgap structures," IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, Vol. 38, 837-843, 2002. doi:10.1109/JQE.2002.1017595
12. Zheng, Q. R., Y. Q. Fu, and N. C. Yuan, "Characteristics of planar PBG structures witha cover layer," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 1439-1453, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779274264
13. Rojas, J. A. M., J. Alpuente, J. Pineiro, and R. Sanchez, "Rigorous full vectorial analysis of electromagnetic wave propagation in 1D," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 63, 89-105, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06042501
14. Ozbay, E., B. Temelkuran, and M. Bayinder, "Microwave application of photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, 185-209, 2003. doi:10.2528/PIER02010808
15. Srivastava, R., S. Pati, and S. P. Ojha, "Enhancement of omnidirectional reflection in photonic crystal heterostructures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 197-208, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07102903
16. Zandi, O., Z. Atlasbaf, and K. Forooraghi, "Flat multilayer dielectric reflector antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 1-19, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07022604
17. Zhao, L. P., X. Zhai, B. Wu, T. Su, W. Xue, and C.-H. Liang, "Novel design of dual-mode bandpass filter using rectangle structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 131-141, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07121003
18. Singh, S. K., J. P. Pandey, K. B. Thapa, and S. P. Ojha, "Structural parameters in the formation of omnidirectional high reflectors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 53-78, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07010501
19. Pandey, P. C., A. Mishra, and S. P. Ojha, "Modal dispersion characteristics of a single mode dielectric optical waveguide with a guiding region cross-section bounded by two involuted spirals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 73, 1-13, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07022702
20. Osipov, A. V., I. T. Iakubov, A. N. Lagarkov, S. A. Maklakov, D. A. Petrov, K. N. Rozanov, and I. A. Ryzhikov, "Multi-layered Fe films for microwave applications," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, 1303-1306, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS070320070112
21. Shi, S. and D. W. Prather, "Lasing dynamics of a novel silicon photonic crystal cavity," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, 746-750, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS060907132027
22. Yatsyk, V., "Effects of the resonant scattering of intensive fields by weakly nonlinear dielectric layer," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, 524-527, 2006. doi:10.2529/PIERS050909054039
23. Brongersma, M. L., R. Zia, and J. Schuler, "Plasmonics — The missing link between nanoelectronics and microphotonics," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, 360-362, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS060907171131
24. Hou, S. and C. Hu, "Influence of electro-optic effecton waveguide efficiency of optical fiber withcladding made of uniaxial crystal materials," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, 614-618, 2006. doi:10.2529/PIERS060829092541
25. Li, L., C.-H. Liang, and C. H. Chan, "Waveguide end slot phased array antenna integrated with electromagnetic bandgap structures," Journal Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 161-174, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779378826
26. Kokkorakis, G. C., "Calculating the electric field in nanostructures," Journal Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 1433-1443, 2007.
27. Li, L. and J. A. Dobrowolski, "Visible broadband, wide-angle, thin-film multilayer polarizing beam splitter," Appl. Opt., Vol. 35, 2221-2225, 1996.
28. Hecht, E., Optics, 4th Ed., 349, Addison Wesley, 2002.
29. Yeh, P., "Optics of periodic layered media," Optical Waves in Layered Media, 118-142, 1998.
30. Born, M. and E. Wolf, "Basic properties of the electromagnetic field," Principles of Optics, 1-70, 1980.
31. Dowling, J. P. and C. M. Bowden, "Anomalous index of refraction in photonic band gap materials," J. Mod. Optics, Vol. 41, 345-351, 1994. doi:10.1080/09500349414550371
32. John, S. and J. Wang, "Quantum optics of localized light in a photonic band gap," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 43, 12772-12789, 1991. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.43.12772
33. Liu, N.-H., "Propagation of light waves in Thue-Morse dielectric multilayers," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 55, 3543-3547, 1997. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.55.3543