The matched filter (MF) is known as the fastest method for acquisition of DS-CDMA signals. Power consumption of the MF is a key issue for realizing multimedia hand-held terminals. We proposed a new Analog Matched Filter using Sample-and-Hold (S/H) circuit, which performs correlation between an input signal and a filtering coefficient employed for modulation in fully analog domain, eliminating the need to Analog-to-digital (A/D) conversion, so reduces power consumption and chip area. Simulation results reveal that the proposed circuit dissipates 2.3 mW power consumption at a chip rate of 16.7 MHz with 3.3 V power supply for 15 taps configuration. The proposed analog architecture could improve the performance of mobile terminals.
H. A. Mansour,
"A 2.3-MW 16.7-MHz
Analog Matched Filter Circuit for DS-CDMA Wireless Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 5, 253-264, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08022406
1. Pickholtz, R. L., D. L. Schilling, and L. B. Milstein, "Theory of spread-spectrum communications --- A tutorial," IEEE Transaction on Communications, Vol. 30, No. 5, 855-884, May 1982. doi:10.1109/TCOM.1982.1095533
2. Lee, W. C., "Overview of celluler CDMA," IEEE Transaction Vehicular Technology, Vol. 40, No. 2, 291-302, May 1991. doi:10.1109/25.289410
3. Chen, J., G. Shou, and C. Zhou, "High-speed low-power matched filter for W-CDMA: Algorithm and VLSI-architecture," IEICE Trans. Fundamentals, Vol. E83-A, No. 1, 75-81, January 2000.
4. Figueroa, M., D. Hsu, and C. Diorio, "A mixed-signal approach to high-performance low-power linear filters," IEEE J. Solid State Circuits, Vol. 36, No. 5, 264-270, May 2001. doi:10.1109/4.918920
5. Onodera, K. K. and P. R. Gray, "A 75-mW 128-MHz DS-CDMA base-band demodulator for high-speed wireless applications," IEEE J. Solid State Circuits, Vol. 33, No. 5, 753-761, May 1998. doi:10.1109/4.668990
6. Baier, A., "A low cost digital matched filter for arabitrary constant-envelope spread-spectrum wave-forms," IEEE Transaction on Communications, Vol. 32, 354-361, April 1984. doi:10.1109/TCOM.1984.1096072
7. Kataoka, N., T. Kojima, M. Miyake, and T. Fujino, "Performance of soft decision digitqal matched filter in direct-sequence spread-spectrum communication systems," IEICE Transaction, Vol. E74, 1115-1122, May 1991.
8. Wu, J., M. Liou, H. Ma, and T. Chiueh, "A 2.6 V, 44-MHz all digital QPSK digital-sequence spread spectrum transceiver IC," IEEE J. Solid-state Circuit, Vol. 32, 1499-1510, October 1997.
9. Slater, D. and J. Paulos, "Low volatge coefficient capacitors for VLSI processes," IEEE J. Solid State Circuits, Vol. 33, No. 5, 753-761, May 1998. doi:10.1109/4.668990
10. Sheu, B. and C. Hu, "Switched-induced error voltage on a switched capacitor," IEEE J. Solid State Circuits, Vol. SC-19, No. 4, 519-525, 1984. doi:10.1109/JSSC.1984.1052176
11. Wegmann, G., E. Vittoz, and F. Rahali, "Charge injection in analog MOS switches," IEEE J. Solid State Circuits, Vol. SC-22, No. 6, 1091-1097, 1987. doi:10.1109/JSSC.1987.1052859
12. Shyu, J. B., G. C. Temes, and F. Krummenacher, "Random errors effects in matched MOS capacitors and current sources," IEEE J. Solid State Circuits, Vol. SC-19, 948-955, 1984. doi:10.1109/JSSC.1984.1052250
13. Yoon, Y. C. and H. Leib, "Matched filtering in improper complex noise and applications to DS-CDMA," Conference Recordings PIMRC'95, 701-705, Toronto, Canada, Sept. 27-29 1995.