In this paper, an asymmetric thrust magnetic bearing (MB) design principle and method are introduced. Different from the general design method of magnetic bearing, the asymmetric magnetic bearing design method focuses on the effect of asymmetric factor. A permanent magnet biased asymmetric hybrid thrust magnetic bearing (AHTMB) with secondary air-gap is designed in detail. A multi-objective optimization is conducted with genetic algorithm (GA) to get smaller mass and less loss. According to optimized model parameters, magnetic field distribution, stiffness and effect of asymmetry factor on stiffness are also analyzed. For stability of the system, equivalent stiffness and equivalent damping and current characteristics are deduced. Based on the analysis results and design methods, appropriate asymmetry factor asymmetric can be chosen to satisfy the different bias force requirement. With small number of coils and current, AHTMB with secondary air-gap is beneficial for decreasing the copper loss and enhancing dynamic performance of control system.
"Integrated Design and Optimization Method of an Asymmetric Hybrid Thrust Magnetic Bearing with Secondary Air-Gap," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 77, 155-173, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERB17060102
1. Ren, X. J., Y. Le, and B. C. Han, "Asymmetric electromagnetic analysis and design of a permagnet biased axial magnetic bearings," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium, 574-586, Shanghai, China, August 8–11, 2016.
2. Eaton, D., J. Rama, and S. Singhal, "Magnetic bearing applications & economics," Proc. PCIC, 1-9, September 2010.
3. Ren, X. J., Y. Le, and B. C. Han, "System electromagnetic loss analysis and temperature field estimate of a magnetically suspended motor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 55, 51-61, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM17010904
4. Eaton, D., J. Rama, and S. Singhal, "Magnetic bearing applications & economics," Proc. PCIC, 1-9, September 2010.
5. Betschon, F., Design Principles of Integrated Magnetic Bearings, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, 2000.
6. Han, B. C., S. Q. Zheng, Y. Le, et al. "Modeling and analysis of coupling performance between passive magnetic bearing and hybrid magnetic radial bearing for magnetically suspended flywheel," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 49, No. 10, 5356-5370, 2013. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2013.2263284
7. Le, Y., J. Fang, and J. Sun, "An integrated passive magnetic damping system for high-speed compressor with flexible rotor," Proc. ImechE, Part C: J. Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol. 229, No. 6, 1150-1161, 2015. doi:10.1177/0954406214542038
8. Fang, J., C. Wang, and J. Tang, "Modeling and analysis of a novel conical magnetic bearing for vernier-gimballing magnetically suspended flywheel," Proc. ImechE, Part C: J Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol. 228, No. 13, 2416-2425, 2014. doi:10.1177/0954406213517488
9. Fang, J. C., S. Q. Zheng, B. C. Han, et al. "AMB vibration control for structural resonance of double-gimbal control moment gyro with high-speed magnetically suspended rotor," IEEE Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol. 18, No. 1, 32-43, 2013. doi:10.1109/TMECH.2011.2161877
10. Zheng, S. Q., B. C. Han, L. Guo, et al. "Composite hierarchical antidisturbance control for magnetic bearing system subject to multiple external disturbances," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 61, No. 12, 7004-7012, 2014. doi:10.1109/TIE.2014.2316226
11. Fang, J. C., Y. Le, J. J. Sun, and K. Wang, "Analysis and design of passive magnetic bearing and damping system for high-speed compressor," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 48, No. 9, 2528-2537, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2012.2196443
12. Noh, M. D., S. Cho, J. Kyung, S. Ro, and J. Park, "Design and implementation of a fault-tolerant magnetic bearing system for turbo-molecular vacuum pump," IEEE/ASME Trans. Mech., Vol. 10, No. 6, 626-631, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMECH.2005.859830
13. Selmy, M., M. Fanni, and A. M. Mohamed, "Design and control of a novel contactless active robotic joint using AMB," 2015 IEEE International Conference on Autonomous Robot Systems and Competitions (ICARSC), 144-149, December 2015. doi:10.1109/ICARSC.2015.12
14. Ren, X. J., Y. Le, J. J. Sun, et al. "Magnetic flux leakage modeling and optimization of a combined radial-axial hybrid magnetic bearing for DC motor," IET Electric Power Applications, Vol. 17, No. 2, 212-221, 2017. doi:10.1049/iet-epa.2016.0259
15. Liu, X. X., J. Y. Dong, Y. Du, et al. "Design and static performance analysis of a novel axial hybrid magnetic bearing," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 50, No. 11, 8300404, 2014.
16. Zhang, W. and H. Zhu, "Improved model and experiment for AC-DC three-degree-of-freedom hybrid magnetic bearing," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 49, No. 11, 5554-5565, 2013. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2013.2271754
17. Bachovchin, K. D., J. F. Hoburg, and R. F. Post, "Magnetic fields and forces in permanent magnet levitated bearings," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 48, No. 7, 2112-2120, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2012.2188140
18. Fang, J. C., X. Wang, T. Wen, et al. "Homopolar 2-pole radial permanent-magnet biased magnetic bearing with low rotating loss," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 48, No. 8, 2293-2303, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2012.2192131
19. Eryong, H. and L. Kun, "Investigation of axial carrying capacity of radial hybrid magnetic bearing," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 48, No. 1, 38-46, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2011.2167018
20. Eryong, H. and L. Kun, "A novel structure for low-loss radial hybrid magnetic bearing," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 47, No. 12, 4725-4733, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2011.2160649
21. Zhu, H. and J. Ju, "Design and optimisation of three-pole radial-axial HMB with independent radial and axial carrying capacity," 2015 IEEE Magnetics Conference (INTERMAG), Beijing, May 11–15, 2015.
22. Garcia, P., J. M. Guerrero, F. Briz, et al. "Sensorless control of three-pole active magnetic bearings using saliency-trackingbased methods," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 46, No. 4, 1476-1484, 2010. doi:10.1109/TIA.2010.2049973
23. Ji, L., L. X. Xu, and C. W. Jin, "Research on a low power consumption six-pole heteropolar hybrid magnetic bearing," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 49, No. 8, 4918-4926, 2013. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2013.2238678
24. Le, Y., J. C. Fang, and J. J. Sun, "Design of a halbach array permanent magnet damping system for high speed compressor with large thrust load," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 51, No. 1, 8300109, 2015.
25. Tomczuk, B., J. Zimon, and D. Wajnert, "Eddy current influence on the parameters of the active magnetic bearing," Proceedings of the 12th International Symposium on Magnetic Bearings, 267-272, Wuhan, China, August 22–25, 2010.
26. Zimon, J., B. Tomczuk, and D. Wajnert, "Field-circuit modeling of AMB system for various speeds of the rotor," Journal of Vibroengineering, Vol. 14, 165-170, March 2012.
28. Tomczuk, B., J. Zimon, and D. Wajnert, "Field-circuit modeling of the 12-pole magnetic bearing characteristics," Proceedings of Compumag. 2013, Budapest, Hungary, June 30--July 4, 2013.
29. Wajnert, D. and B. Tomczuk, "Simulation for the determination of the hybrid magnetic bearing's electromagnetic parameters," Electrical Review, 157-160, Poland, (Przegl¸ad Elektrotechniczny), ISSN 0033-2097, R. 93 NR 2/2017.
30. Gieras, J. F., Z. J. Piech, and B. Z. Tomczuk, Linear Synchronous Motors, Taylor & Francis, USA, 2012.
31. Datta, R., S. Pradhan, and B. Bhattacharya, "Analysis and design optimization of a robotic gripper using multiobjective genetic algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, Vol. 46, No. 1, 16-26, 2016. doi:10.1109/TSMC.2015.2437847
32. Lin, C. T., M. Prasad, and A. Saxena, "An improved polynomial neural network classifier using real-coded genetic algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, Vol. 45, No. 11, 1389-1401, 2015. doi:10.1109/TSMC.2015.2406855
33. Zhang, S. G., K. R. Pattipati, Z. Hu, et al. "Optimal selection of imperfect tests for fault detection and isolation," IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, Vol. 43, No. 6, 1370-1384, 2013. doi:10.1109/TSMC.2013.2244210