In this work, Support Vector Machine (SVM) formulation is worked out based upon ''L'' measured data for the resonant frequency, operation bandwidth, input impedance of a rectangular microstrip antenna. Results of the formulation are compared with the theoretical results obtained in literature, much better characterization is observed with greater accuracy. At the same time, Artificial Neural Network (ANN) is employed in generalization of the data on the resonant frequency, operation bandwidth, and input impedance of the antenna. Performances of the two advanced nonlinear learning machines are compared and superiority of the SVM is verified.
Nurhan Türker Tokan,
"Support Vector Characterisation of the Microstrip Antennas Based on Measurements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 5, 49-61, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08013006
1. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1997.
2. Bahl, J. and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, Dedham, MA, 1980.
4. Guney, K., M. Erler, and S. Sagıroglu, "Artificial neural networks for the resonant resistance calculation of electrically thin and thick rectangular microstrip antennas," Electromagnetics, Vol. 20, 387-400, 2000. doi:10.1080/027263400750064392
5. Karaboga, D., K. Guney, S. Sagıroglu, and M. Erler, "Neural computation of resonant frequency of electrically thin and thick rectangular microstrip antennas," IEE Proc. Microwaves, Antennas Propagation, Vol. 146, No. 2, 155-159, 1999. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19990136
6. Li, L. and Y.-J. Xie, "Efficient algorithm for analyzing microstrip antennas using fast-multipole algorithm combined with fixed real-image simulated method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 15, 2177-2188, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779322521
7. Akdagli, A., "An empirical expression for the edge extension in calculating resonant frequency of rectangular microstrip antennas with thin and thick substrates," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 9, 1247-1255, 2007.
8. Kumar, P., T. Chakravarty, S. Bhooshan, S. K. Khah, and A. De, "Numerical computation of resonant frequency of gap coupled circular microstrip antennas," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 10, 1303-1311, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783239465
9. Yang, R., Y.-J. Xie, D. Li, J. Zhang, and J. Jiang, "Bandwidth enhancement of microstrip antennas with metamaterial bilayered substrates," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 15, 2321-2330, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783134425
10. Vapnik, V. N., Statistical Learning Theory, Wiley, New York, 1998.
11. Cristianini, N. and J. Shawe-Taylor, An Introduction to Support Vector Machines (and Other Kernel-based Learning Methods), Cambridge University Press, 2000.
12. Ganapathiraju, A., J. E. Hamaker, and J. Picone, "Applications of support vector machines to speech recognition," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 52, No. 8, 2348-2356, 2004. doi:10.1109/TSP.2004.831018
13. Rojo-Alvarez, J. L., G. Camps-Valls, M. Martinez-Ramon, E. Soria-Olivas, A. Navia-Vazquez, and A. R. Figueiras-Vidal, "Support vector machines framework for linear signal processing," Signal Processing, Vol. 85, No. 12, 2316-2326, 2005. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2004.12.015
14. Wu, Y. Q., Z. X. Tang, B. Zhang, and Y. H. Xu, "Permeability measurement of ferromagnetic materials in microwave frequency range using support vector machine regression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 247-256, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07012801
15. Christodoulou, C., M. Martinez-Ramon, and C. Balanis, "Support Vector Machines for Antenna Array Processing and Electromagnetics," Morgan & Claypool Publishers, 2006.
16. Pastorino, M. and A. Randazzo, "A smart antenna system for direction of arrival estimation based on a support vector regression," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 7, 2161-2168, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.850735
17. Zhao, Q. and J. Principe, "Automatic target recognition with support vector machines," Neural Information Processing Systems Workshop on Large Margin Classifiers, December 1998.
18. Xia, L., R. Xu, and B. Yan, "LTCC interconnect modeling by support vector regression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 67-75, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06120503
19. Gunes, F., N. Turker, and F. Gurgen, "Signal-noise support vector model of a microwave transistor," Int. Journal of RF and Microwave CAE, Vol. 17, 404-415, 2007. doi:10.1002/mmce.20239
20. Xu, Y. H., Y. Guo, L. Xia, and Y. Q. Wu, "A support vector regression based nonlinear modeling method for Sic Mesfet," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 103-114, 2008.
21. Guney, K., C. Yildiz, S. Kaya, and M. Turkmen, "Artificial neural networks for calculating the characteristic impedance of air-suspended trapezoidal and rectangular-shaped microshield lines," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 9, 1161-1174, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306777442917
22. Yildiz, C. and M. Turkmen, "Quasi-static models based on artificial neural neworks for calculating the characteristic parameters of multilayer cylindrical coplanar waveguide and strip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 1-22, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07112806
23. Mohamed, M. A., E. A. Soliman, and M. A. El-Gamal, "Optimization and characterization of electromagnetically coupled patch antennas using RBF neural networks," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 8, 1101-1114, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776930240
24. Zainud-Deen, S. H., H. A. Malhat, K. H. Awadalla, and E. S. El-Hadad, "Direction of arrival and state of polarization estimation using radial basis function neural network (RBFNN)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 137-150, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07111801
25. Yildiz, C., K. Guney, M. Turkmen, and S. Kaya, "Neural models for coplanar strip line synthesis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 127-144, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06120802
26. Ayestaran, R. G. and F. Las-Heras, "Near field to far field transformation using neural networks and source reconstruction," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 15, 2201-2213, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779322594
27. Pozar, D. M., "Microstrip antennas," Proc.. IEEE, Vol. 80, No. 1, 79-81, 1992. doi:10.1109/5.119568
32. Carver, K. R., "Practical analytical techniques for the microstrip antenna," Proceedings of Workshop on Printed Circuit Antenna Technology, Oct. 1979.
33. Chang, E., S. A. Long, and W. F. Richards, "An experimental investigation of electrically thick rectangular microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 34, No. 6, 767-772, 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143890