A method of solving the scattering problem for general multilayer anisotropic structures composed of conventional materials and metamaterial is presented. The analysis is based on calculation of the hybrid matrix of layers by means of a recursive algorithm. The method does not have the complexity and instability problems of other methods and is reliable in all cases. The zero reflection from stratified structures of conventional materials and metamaterials has then been introduced Various aspects of such a structure from the viewpoints of frequency and incident angle are presented and a rule for zero reflection from anisotropic medium is addressed. An interesting special case of total transparency is observed.
"Zero Reflection from Anisotropic Metamaterial Stratified Structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 26, 321-334, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10080507
1. Teitler, S. and B. W. Henvis, "Refraction in stratified anisotropic media," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 60, 830-834, Jun. 1970. doi:10.1364/JOSA.60.000830
2. Berreman, D. W., "Optic in stratified and anisotropic media: 4 × 4 matrix formulation," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 62, 502-510, Apr. 1972. doi:10.1364/JOSA.62.000502
3. Barkovskii, L. M. and G. N. Borzdov, "Electromagnetic waves in absorbing plane-layered anisotropic and gyrotropic media," J. Appl. Spectrosc., Vol. 23, 985-991, Sep. 1976. doi:10.1007/BF00608828
4. Barkovskii, L. M. and G. N. Borzdov, "Reflection of electromagnetic waves from layerde continuously inhomogeneous anisotropic media: multiple reflection method," Opt. Spectrosc. (USSR), Vol. 45, 701-705, Oct. 1978.
5. Graglia, R. D. and P. L. E. Uslenghi, "Electromagnetic scattering from anisotropic materials, part I: General theory," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 32, 867-869, Aug. 1984. doi:10.1109/TAP.1984.1143422
6. Morgan, M. A., et al. "Electromagnetic scattering by stratified inhomogeneous anisotropic media," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 35, 191-198, Feb. 1987. doi:10.1109/TAP.1987.1144069
7. Graglia, R. D., et al. "Reflection and transmission for planar structures of bianisotropic media," Electromagnetics, Vol. 11, 193-208, 1991. doi:10.1080/02726349108908273
8. Titchener, J. B. and J. R. Willis, "The reflection of electromagnetic waves form stratified anisotropic media," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 39, 35-40, Jan. 1991. doi:10.1109/8.64432
9. Tsalamengas, J. L., "Interaction of electromagnetic waves with general bianisotropic slabs," IEEE Trans. Microwave Therory Tech., Vol. 40, 1870-1879, Oct. 1992. doi:10.1109/22.159623
10. Lindell, I. V., S. A. Tretyakov, and M. I. Oksanen, "Vector transmission-line and circuit theory for bi-isotropic layered structures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 7, No. 1, 147-173, 1993. doi:10.1163/156939393X01119
11. Yang, H. D., "A spectral recursive transformation method for electromagnetic waves in generalized anisotropic layered media," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, 520-527, Mar. 1997. doi:10.1109/8.554261
12. Ning, J. and E. L. Tan, "Hybrid matrix method for stable analysis of electromagnetic waves in stratified bianisotropic media," IEEE Microwave Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 18, 653-656, Oct. 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.2003446
13. Alu, A. and N. Engheta, "Pairing an epsilon-negative slab with a mu-negative slab: Resonance, tunneling and transparency," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, 2558-2571, Oct. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817553
14. Oraizi, H. and A. Abdolali, "Design and optimization of planar multilayer antireflection metamaterial coatings at Ku band under circularly polarized oblique plane wave incidence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 3, 1-18, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERC08021906
15. Oraizi, H. and A. Abdolali, "Mathematical formulation for zero reflection from multilayer metamaterial structures and their notable applications," IET Microwave Antennas Propagat., Vol. 3, 987-996, Sep. 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2008.0281
16. Oraizi, H. and A. Abdolali, "A theorem for the reflection and transmission of electromagnetic waves from a slab made of common materials and metamaterials," PIERS Proceedings, Moscow, Russia, Aug. 18--21, 2009.
17. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials, Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Wiley-IEEE Press, Hoboken, NJ, 2005. doi:10.1002/0471754323