The design of a novel Fractal planar inverted F antenna (F-PIFA) based on the self affinity property is presented in this paper. The procedure for designing a Fractal Planar Inverted F Antenna is explained and three different iterations are designed for use in cellular phones. The F-PIFA has a total dimension of 27 mm x 27 mm and has been optimized to be operational at GSM (Global System for Mobile Communication), UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunication System) and HiperLAN (High Performance Radio LAN) with the frequencies range from 1900 MHz to 2100 MHz, 1885 to 2200 MHz and 4800 MHz to 5800 MHz respectively. The antenna achieved -6 dB return loss at the required GSM, UMTS and HiperLan frequencies with and has almost omnidirectional radiation pattern. This antenna has been tested using realistic mobile phone model and has met the performance criteria for a mobile phone application. Simple semiempirical formulas of the operational frequency, numerical calculation and computational SAR of the antenna also has been presented and discussed.
2. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York, 1997.
3. Kraus, J. D. and R. J. Marhefka, Antennas for All Applications,3rd Ed., McGraw-Hill, Boston, 2002.
4. Waterhouse, R. B., Microstrip Patch Antenna, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, 2003.
5. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Boston, 2001.
6. Werner, D. H., R. L. Haupt, and P. L. Werner, "Fractal antenna engineering: The theory and design of fractal antenna arrays," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 41, No. 5, 37-59, Oct. 1999.
7. Guterman, J., A. A. Moreira, and C. Peixeiro, "Triple band miniaturized fractal planar inverted F-antenna for a small mobile terminal," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 1, 359-362, 2004.
8. Salonen, P., M. Keskilammi, and M. Kivikoski, "Single-feed dual-band planar inverted-F antenna with U-shaped slot," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 8, 1262-1264, Aug. 2000.
9. Shin, Y.-S. and S.-O. Park, A Novel Compact PIFA for Wireless Communication Applications, Conference Publication, 1-3, Oct. 30-Nov. 2, 2007.
10. Geyi, W., Q. Rao, S. Ali, and D. Wang, "Handset antenna design: Practice and theory," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 123-160, 2008.
11. Delaune, D., N. Guan, and K. Ito, "Simple multiband antenna for mobile phone application based on a dual-arm monopole structure," PIERS Online, Vol. 4, No. 1, 2008.
12. Hee, T. W., P. S. Hall, and C. T. Song, "Fractal PIFA, dipole and monopole antennas," IEEE Topical Conference on Wireless Communication Technology, 275-276, 2003.
13. Fuhl, J., P. Nowak, and E. Bonek, "Improved internal antenna for hand-held terminals," Electron. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 22, 1816-1818, 1994.
14. Ebrahimi-Ganjeh, M. A. and A. R. Attari, "Interaction of dual band helical and PIFA handset antennas with human head and hand," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 225-242, 2007.
15. Khalatbari, S., D. Sardari, A. A. Mirzaee, and H. A. Sadafi, "Calculating SAR in two models of the human head exposed to mobile phones radiations at 900 and 1800 MHz," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, No. 1, 104-109, 2006.
16. Zhu, Y., F. Gao, X. Yang, H. Shen, W. Liu, H. Chen, and X. Jiang, "The effect of microwave emmision from mobile phones on neuron survival in rat central nervous system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 287-289, 2007.
17. Choi, D., C. Shin, N. Kim, and H. Shin, "Design and SAR analysis of broadband PIFA with triple band," PIERS Online, Vol. 1, No. 3, 290-293, 2005.
18. Hirata, A., K. Shirai, and O. Fujiwara, "On averaging mass of SAR correlating with temperature elevation due to a dipole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 221-237, 2008.
19. Puente, C., J. Romeu, and A. Cardama, Fractal-shaped Antennas, in Frontiers in Electromagnetics, D. H. Werner and R. Mittra (eds.), IEEE Press, 2000.
20. Gianvittorio, J. and Y. A. Rahmat-Samii, "Fractal antennas: A novel antenna miniaturization technique, and applications," IEEE, Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 44, No. 1, 20-36, Feb. 2002.
21. Saidatul, N. A., A. A. H. Azremi, and P. J. Soh, Analysis, design and fabrication of a hexagonal fractal antenna formulti-band applications, International Conference on Intelligent and Advanced Systems (ICIAS'07), Kuala Lumpur, Nov. 25th-28th, 2007.
22. Guo, Y.-X., I. Ang, and M. Y. W. Chia, "Compact internal multiband antennas for mobile handsets," Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, IEEE, Vol. 2, 143-146, 2003.
23. Wong, K.-L., G.-Y. Lee, and T.-W. Chiou, "A low-profile planar monopole antenna for multiband operation of mobile handsets," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, 121-125, Jan. 1, 2003.
24. Kim, J.-H., Y.-H. You, K.-I. Lee, and J.-H. Yi, "Pilot-less synchronization receiver for UWB-based wireless application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 119-131, 2008.
25. Khalatbari, S., D. Sardari, A. A. Mirzaee, and H. A. Sadafi, "Calculating SAR in two models of the human head exposed to mobile phones radiations at 900 and 1800 MHz," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, No. 1, 104-109, 2006.
26. Choi, D., C. Shin, N. Kim, and H. Shin, "Design and SAR analysis of broadband PIFA with triple band," PIERS Online, Vol. 1, No. 3, 290-293, 2005.