A comparison between different modern population based optimization methods applied to the design of scannable circular antenna arrays is presented in this paper. This design of scannable circular arrays considers the optimization of the amplitude and phase excitations across the antenna elements to operate with optimal performance in the whole azimuth plane (360ο). Simulation results for scannable circular arrays with the amplitude and phase excitation optimized by genetic algorithms, particle swarm optimization and the differential evolution method are provided. Furthermore, in order to set which design case could provide a better performance in terms of the side lobe level and the directivity, a comparative analysis of the performance of the optimized designs with the case of conventional progressive phase excitation is achieved. Simulation results show that differential evolution and particle swarm optimization have similar performances and both of them had better performance compared to genetic algorithms when all algorithms are allowed equal computation time.
Marco A. Panduro,
Carlos A. Brizuela,
Luz I. Balderas,
Diana A. Acosta,
"A Comparison of Genetic Algorithms, Particle Swarm Optimization and the Differential Evolution Method for the Design of Scannable Circular Antenna Arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 13, 171-186, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09011308
1. Rahmat-Samii, Y. and E. Michielssen, Electromagnetic Optimisation by Genetic Algorithms, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1999.
2. Haupt, R., "Thinned arrays using genetic algorithms," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, 993-999, 1994. doi:10.1109/8.299602
3. Golberg, D. E., Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning, Addison-Wesley, Massachusetts, 1989.
4. Panduro, M. A., "Optimization of non-uniform linear phased array using genetic algorithms to provide maximum interference reduction in a wireless communication system," Journal of the Chinese Institute of Engineers JCIE, Vol. 29, No. 7, Special Issue: Communications, 1195-1201, 2006.
5. Panduro, M. A., "Design of coherently radiating structures in a linear array geometry using genetic algorithms," AEU International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 61, No. 8, 515-520, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2006.09.002
6. Vaitheeswaran, S. M., "Dual beam synthesis using element position perturbations and the G3-GA algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 87, 43-61, 2008.
7. Gurel, L. and O. Ergul, "Design and simulation of circular arrays of trapezoidal-tooth log-periodic antennas via genetic optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 85, 243-260, 2008.
8. Li, F., X. Chen, and K. Huang, "Microwave imaging a buried object by the GA and using the S11 parameter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 85, 289-302, 2008.
9. Agastra, E., G. Bellaveglia, L. Lucci, R. Nesti, G. Pelosi, G. Ruggerini, and S. Selleri, "Genetic algorithm optimization of Genetic algorithm optimization of lenses," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 83, 335-352, 2008.
10. Xu, Z., H. Li, Q. Z. Liu, and J. Y. Li, "Pattern synthesis of conformal antenna array by the hybrid genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 79, 75-90, 2008.
11. Kennedy, J. and R. Eberhart, "Particle swarm optimization," Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference Neural Networks, Vol. 4, 1942-1948, 1995. doi:10.1109/ICNN.1995.488968
12. Robinson, J. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Particle swarm optimization in electromagnetics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 397-407, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.823969
13. Clerc, M. and J. Kennedy, "The particle swarm-explosion, stability and convergence in a multidimensional complex space," IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 6, 58-73, 2002. doi:10.1109/4235.985692
14. Park, S. H., H. T. Kim, and K. T. Kim, "Stepped-frequency isar motion compensation using particle swarm optimization with an island model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 85, 25-37, 2008.
15. Li, W. T., X. W. Shi, and Y. Q. Hei, "An improved particle swarm optimization algorithm for pattern synthesis of phased arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 82, 319-332, 2008.
16. Huang, C. H., C. C. Chiu, C. L. Li, and K. C. Chen, "Time domain inverse scattering of a two-dimensional homogenous dielectric object with arbitrary shape by particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 82, 381-400, 2008.
17. Li, W. T., X. W. Shi, L. Xu, and Y. Q. Hei, "Improved GA and PSO culled hybrid algorithm for antenna array pattern synthesis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 80, 461-476, 2008.
18. Chamaani, S., S. A. Mirta, M. Teshnehlab, M. A. Shooredeli, and V. Seydi, "Modified multi-objective particle swarm optimization for electromagnetic absorber design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, 353-366, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07101702
19. Kurup, D., M. Himdi, and A. Rydberg, "Synthesis of uniform amplitude unequally spaced antenna arrays using the differential algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, 2210-2217, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.816361
20. Feortisov, V. and S. Janaqui, "Generalization of the strategies in differential evolution," Proceedings of the IEEE Conference Evolutionary Computation, 1996.
21. Parsopoulos, K. E., D. K. Tasoulis, N. G. Pavlidis, V. P. Plagianakos, and M. N. Vrahatis, "Vector evaluated differential evolution for multi-objective optimization," IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, 19-23, 2004.
22. Song, Y. S., H. M. Kwon, and B. J. Min, "Computationally e±cient smart antennas for CDMA wireless communications," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 50, 1613-1628, 2001. doi:10.1109/25.966590
23. Du, K. L., "Pattern analysis of uniform circular array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 4, 1125-1129, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.825802
24. Watanabe, F., N. Goto, A. Nagayama, and G. Yoshida, "A pattern synthesis of circular arrays by phase adjustment," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 28, No. 6, 857-863, 1980. doi:10.1109/TAP.1980.1142424
25. Vescovo, R., "Constrained and unconstrained synthesis of array factor for circular arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 43, No. 12, 1405-1410, 1995. doi:10.1109/8.475929
26. Goto, N. and Y. Tsunoda, "Sidelobe reduction of circular arrays with a constant excitation amplitude," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 25, No. 6, 896-898, 1977. doi:10.1109/TAP.1977.1141700
27. Panduro, M. A., A. L. Mendez, R. Dominguez, and G. Romero, "Design of non-uniform circular antenna arrays for side lobe reduction using the method of genetic algorithms," AEU International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 60, No. 10, 713-717, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2006.03.006
28. Su, T. and H. Ling, "Array beamforming in the presence of a mounting tower using genetic algorithms," EEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 6, 2011-2019, June 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.848449
29. Balanis, C., Antenna Theory-analysis and Design, 2nd edition, Wiley, New York, 1997.
30. Kennedy, J. and R. C. Eberhart, Swarm Intelligence, Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco, CA, 2001.
31. Eberhart, R. C. and Y. Shi, "Particle swarm optimization: Developments, applications and resources," Proceedings Congress Evolutionary Computation, 81-86, 2001.
32. Yang, S., A. Qing, and Y. B. Gan, "Synthesis of low side lobe antenna arrays using the differential evolution algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation Conference, 1-22, 2003.
33. Storn, R. and K. Price, "Minimizing the real functions of the ICEC'96 contest by differential evolution," Proceedings of the IEEE Conference Evolutionary Computation, 1996.
34. Eberhart, R. and Y. Shi, "Particle swarm optimization: Developments, applications and resources," Proc. Cong. Evol. Comput., Vol. 1, 81-86, 2001.
35. Jin, N. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Advances in particle swarm optimization for antenna designs: Real-number, binary, single-objective and multiobjective implementations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, 556-567, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.891552
36. Eberhart, R. and Y. Shi, "Evolving artificial neural network," Proc. Int. Conf. Neural Networks and Brain, PL5-PL13, 1998.
37. Rocha-Alicano, C., D. Covarrubias-Rosales, C. Brizuela-Rodriguez, and M. A. Panduro-Mendoza, "Differential evolution applied to sidelobe level reduction on a planar array," AEU International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 61, 286-290, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2006.05.008
38. Panduro, M. A., D. H. Covarrubias, C. A. Brizuela, and F. R. Marante, "A multi-objective approach in the linear antenna array design," AEU International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 59, No. 4, 205-212, 2005. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2004.11.017
39. Hollander, M. and D. A. Wolfe, Nonparametric Statistical Methods, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, 1999.