This paper focuses on the cognitive design of transmitting waveform to improve target detection capability in the presence of signal-dependent modulated jamming (e.g., chopping and interleaving (C&I) jamming). In particular, we reasonably assume that the modulation mode of signal-dependent jamming is available based on cognitive paradigm. The first design criterion is to minimize the integrated cross-correlation energy (ICE) between the transmitting waveform and jamming signal. In this way, the received jamming signal can be suppressed after matched filter processing is performed using the optimized waveform. The second design criterion is to minimize the integrated auto-correlation sidelobe level (IASL) for maintaining good range compression property. The practical constant modulus constraint is imposed on the transmitting waveform. Finally, to deal with the resulting non-convex problem, an iterative algorithm based on the majorization-minimization framework is developed. Numerical examples for specific signal-dependent modulated jammings are provided to demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed methodology.
"Cognitive Radar Waveform Design Against Signal-Dependent Modulated Jamming," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 80, 59-77, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERB18010805
1. Kong, L. and M. Luo, "Co-frequency interference suppression algorithm via maximum signal minus interference level," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, No. 4, 183-199, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10032307
2. Kleeman, L., "Real time mobile robot sonar with interference rejection," Sensor Review, Vol. 19, No. 3, 214-221, 1999. doi:10.1108/02602289910279193
3. Zhou, L. L., H. B. Zhu, N. T. Zhang, and , "Iterative solution to the notched waveform design in cognitive ultra-wideband radio system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 271-284, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07060903
4. Aubry, A., A. De Maio, A. Farina, et al., "Knowledge-aided (potentially cognitive) transmit signal and receive filter design in signal-dependent clutter," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 49, No. 1, 93-117, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAES.2013.6404093
5. Li, N. and Y. Zhang, "A survey of radar ECM and ECCM," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 31, No. 3, 1110-1120, 1995. doi:10.1109/7.395232
6. Van Trees, H. L., "Optimum signal design and processing for reverberation-limited environments," IEEE Transactions on Military Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 3, 212-229, 1965. doi:10.1109/TME.1965.4323213
7. Lu, S., G. Cui, W. Yi, et al. "Radar waveform design against signal-dependent jamming," IEEE Radar Conference, 1075-1080, 2017.
8. Fu, Y., G. Cui, and X. Yu, "Robust design of constant modulus sequence and receiver filter in the presence of signal-dependent clutter," Journal of Radars, Vol. 6, No. 3, 292-299, 2017.
9. Stoica, P., J. Li, and Y. Xie, "On probing signal design for MIMO radar," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 55, No. 8, 4151-4161, 2007. doi:10.1109/TSP.2007.894398
10. Li, J., J. R. Guerci, and L. Xu, "Signal waveform’s optimal under restriction design for active sensing," Fourth IEEE Workshop on Sensor Array and Multichannel Processing, 382-386, 2006.
11. De Maio, A., S. De Nicola, Y. Huang, et al. "Design of phase codes for radar performance optimization with a similarity constraint," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 57, No. 2, 610-621, 2009. doi:10.1109/TSP.2008.2008247
12. Cui, G., Y. Fu, X. Yu, et al. "Local ambiguity function shaping via unimodular sequence design," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 24, No. 7, 977-981, 2017. doi:10.1109/LSP.2017.2700396
13. Stoica, P., J. Li, and M. Xue, "Transmit codes and receive filters for radar," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 25, No. 6, 94-109, 2008. doi:10.1109/MSP.2008.929231
14. Chen, C. Y. and P. P. Vaidyanathan, "MIMO radar waveform optimization with prior information of the extended target and clutter," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 57, No. 9, 3533-3544, 2009. doi:10.1109/TSP.2009.2021632
15. Romero, R. A. and N. A. Goodman, "Waveform design in signal-dependent interference and application to target recognition with multiple transmissions," IET Radar, Sonar & Navigation, Vol. 3, No. 4, 328-340, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-rsn.2008.0146
16. Stoica, P., H. He, and J. Li, "Optimization of the receive filter and transmit sequence for active sensing," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 60, No. 4, 1730-1740, 2012. doi:10.1109/TSP.2011.2179652
17. Aubry, A., A. De Maio, M. Piezzo, et al. "Cognitive design of the receive filter and transmitted phase code in reverberating environment," IET Radar, Sonar & Navigation, Vol. 6, No. 9, 822-833, 2012. doi:10.1049/iet-rsn.2012.0029
18. Cui, G., H. Li, and M. Rangaswamy, "MIMO radar waveform design with constant modulus and similarity constraints," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 62, No. 2, 343-353, 2014. doi:10.1109/TSP.2013.2288086
19. Tang, B., J. Li, Y. Zhang, et al. "Design of MIMO radar waveform covariance matrix for Clutter and Jamming suppression based on space time adaptive processing," Signal Processing, Vol. 121, 60-69, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2015.10.033
20. Sparrow, M. J. and J. Cikalo, "ECM techniques to counter pulse compression radar," U.S. Patent, No. 7,081,84, 2006.
21. Lu, S., W. Yi, G. Cui, et al. "Design and application of dynamic environmental knowledge base," IET Radar, Sonar & Navigation, Vol. 10, No. 6, 1118-1126, 2016. doi:10.1049/iet-rsn.2015.0516
22. Aubry, A., A. De Maio, M. Piezzo, et al. "Cognitive radar waveform design for spectral coexistence in signal-dependent interference," IEEE Radar Conference, 0474-0478, 2013.
23. Wang, G. and Y. L. Lu, "Sparse frequency waveform design for MIMO radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 20, 19-32, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10010405
24. Song, J., P. Babu, and D. P. Palomar, "Optimization methods for designing sequences with low autocorrelation sidelobes," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 63, No. 15, 3998-4009, 2015. doi:10.1109/TSP.2015.2425808
25. Haykin, S., "Cognitive radar: A way of the future," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 23, No. 1, 30-40, 2006. doi:10.1109/MSP.2006.1593335
26. Zeng, D., H. Xiong, J. Wang, and B. Tang, "An approach to intra-pulse modulation recognition based on the ambiguity function," Circuits, Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 29, No. 6, 1103-1122, 2010. doi:10.1007/s00034-010-9192-6
27. Greco, M., F. Gini, and A. Farina, "Radar detection and classification of jamming signals belonging to a cone class," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 56, No. 5, 1984-1993, 2008. doi:10.1109/TSP.2007.909326
28. Li, Y., Y. Xiong, and B. Tang, "SMSP jamming identification based on Matched Signal transform," 2011 IEEE International Conference on Computational Problem-Solving (ICCP), 182-185, 2011.
29. Zhou, C., F. Shi, and Q. Liu, "Research on parameters estimation and suppression for C&I jamming," 2016 CIE International Conference on Radar, 1-4, 2016.
31. Zhang, S. and Y. Huang, "Complex quadratic optimization and semidefinite programming," SIAM J. Optimiz., Vol. 16, No. 3, 871-890, 2006. doi:10.1137/04061341X
32. Soltanalian, M. and P. Stoica, "Designing unimodular codes via quadratic optimization," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 62, No. 5, 1221-1234, 2014. doi:10.1109/TSP.2013.2296883
33. Hunter, D. R. and K. Lange, "A tutorial on MM algorithms," The American Statistician, Vol. 58, No. 1, 30-37, 2004. doi:10.1198/0003130042836
34. Stoica, P. and Y. Selen, "Cyclic minimizers, majorization techniques, and the expectationmaximization algorithm: A refresher," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 21, No. 1, 112-114, 2004. doi:10.1109/MSP.2004.1267055
35. Cui, G., X. Yu, G. Foglia, et al. "Quadratic optimization with similarity constraint for unimodular sequence synthesis," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 65, No. 18, 4756-4769, 2017. doi:10.1109/TSP.2017.2715010
36. Varadhan, R. and C. Roland, "Simple and globally convergent methods for accelerating the convergence of any EM algorithm," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Vol. 35, No. 2, 335-353, 2008. doi:10.1111/j.1467-9469.2007.00585.x
37. Cui, G., X. Yu, V. Carotenuto, et al. "Space-time transmit code and receive filter design for colocated MIMO Radar," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 65, No. 5, 1116-1129, 2017. doi:10.1109/TSP.2016.2633242