Microwave radar imaging is increasingly being used in infrastructure monitoring applications due to its low cost, rapid measurement time, non-contact characteristics, and ability to penetrate nonmetallic media. An appropriate waveform design must be designed to obtain accurate information on the targets observed or the features being probed. Ultrawideband (UWB) radio frequency (RF) noiselets are excellent candidate waveforms in view of their multiresolution and interference rejection features. In this paper, a waveform optimization approach for UWB noiselet waveforms is described to achieve high peak-to-sidelobe ratio (PSLR) to enhance imaging capabilities. Synthetic aperture radar (SAR) scanning for microwave imaging is introduced after analyzing the essential microwave approaches for the multilayered structure. Image reconstruction using SAR scanning is performed for various multilayered structures and quasi-3D images of these structures are presented for nondestructive testing and evaluation (NDT&E) applications.
Tae Hee Kim,
Ram M. Narayanan,
"Multilayer Structural Diagnosis with Quasi-3D Microwave Imaging Using Ultrawideband Radio Frequency Noiselet Waveforms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 82, 73-92, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERB18082908
2. Kulpa, K., K. Lukin, W. Miceli, and T. Thayaparan, "Signal processing in noise radar technology," IET Radar Sonar Navig., Vol. 2, No. 4, 229-232, 2008. doi:10.1049/iet-rsn:20089017
3. Dawood, M. and R. M. Narayanan, "Multipath and ground clutter analysis for a UWB noise radar," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 38, No. 3, 838-853, 2002. doi:10.1109/TAES.2002.1039403
4. Chen, P. H., M. C. Shastry, C. P. Lai, and R. M. Narayanan, "A portable real-time digital noise radar system for through-the-wall imaging," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 50, No. 10, 4123-4134, 2012. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2012.2188411
5. Tarchi, D., K. Lukin, J. Fortuny-Guasch, A. Mogyla, P. Vyplavin, and A. Sieber, "SAR imaging with noise radar," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 46, No. 3, 1214-1225, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAES.2010.5545184
6. Kim, T. H. and R. M. Narayanan, "Wideband radio frequency noiselet waveforms for multiresolution nondestructive testing of multilayered structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 81, 1-23, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERB18033007
7. Coifman, R., F. Geshwind, and Y. Meyer, "Noiselets," Appl. Comput. Harmon. Anal., Vol. 10, No. 1, 27-44, 2001. doi:10.1006/acha.2000.0313
8. Candes, E. and J. Romberg, "Sparsity and incoherence in compressive sampling," Inverse Prob., Vol. 23, 969-985, 2007. doi:10.1088/0266-5611/23/3/008
9. Keep, D. N., "Frequency-modulation radar for use in the mercantile marine," Proc. IEE --- Part B: Radio Electr. Electron., Vol. 103, No. 10, 519-523, 1956. doi:10.1049/pi-b-1.1956.0203
10. Narayanan, R. M., X. Xu, and J. A. Henning, "Radar penetration imaging using ultra-wideband (UWB) random noise waveforms," IET Radar Sonar Navig., Vol. 151, No. 3, 143-148, 2004. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:20040418
11. Sivadas, N. A. and S. S. Mohammed, "A joint technique for sidelobe suppression and peak-to-average power ratio reduction in non-contiguous OFDM-based cognitive radio networks," Int. J. Electron., Vol. 104, No. 2, 190-203, 2017. doi:10.1080/00207217.2016.1196747
12. Navagato, M. D. and R. M. Narayanan, "Microwave imaging using ultra-wideband noise waveforms for nondestructive testing of multilayer structures," Proc. SPIE Conf. on Radar Sensor Technology XXII, 1063314-1-1063314-13, Orlando, FL, USA, Apr. 2018.
13. Bossi, R. H. and G. E. Georgeson, "Nondestructive testing of composites," Mater. Eval., Vol. 76, No. 8, 1049-1060, 2018.
14. Sato, N., M. Hojo, and M. Nishikawa, "Intralaminar fatigue crack growth properties of conventional and interlayer toughened CFRP laminate under mode I loading," Composites Part A, Vol. 68, 202-211, 2015. doi:10.1016/j.compositesa.2014.09.031
15. Agarwal, B. D. and L. J. Broutman, Analysis and Performance of Fiber Composites, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
16. Garrett, K. W. and J. E. Bailey, "Multiple transverse fracture in 90◦ cross-ply laminates of a glass fiber-reinforced polyester," J. Mater. Sci., Vol. 12, No. 1, 157-168, 1977. doi:10.1007/BF00738481
17. Karandikar, P. and T.-W. Chou, "Characterization and modeling of microcracking and elastic-moduli changes in Nicalon CAS composites," Compos. Sci. Technol., Vol. 46, No. 3, 253-263, 1993. doi:10.1016/0266-3538(93)90159-E
18. Zhong, Y. and S. C. Joshi, "Initiation of structural defects in carbon fiber reinforced polymer composites under hygrothermal environments," J. Compos. Mater., Vol. 50, No. 8, 1085-1097, 2016. doi:10.1177/0021998315587133
19. Narayanan, R. M. and R. James, "Microwave nondestructive testing of galvanic corrosion and impact damage in carbon fiber reinforced polymer composites," Int. J. Microwaves Appl., Vol. 7, No. 1, 1-15, 2018. doi:10.30534/ijma/2018/01712018
20. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2012.
21. Richards, M. A., Fundamentals of Radar Signal Processing, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
22. Dehmollaian, M. and K. Sarabandi, "Refocusing through building walls using synthetic aperture radar," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 46, No. 6, 1589-1599, Jun. 2008. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2008.916212
23. Stolt, R. H., "Migration by Fourier transform," Geophys., Vol. 43, No. 1, 23-48, 1978. doi:10.1190/1.1440826
24. Lopez-Sanchez, J. M. and J. Fortuny-Guasch, "3-D radar imaging using range migration techniques," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, No. 5, 728-737, 2000. doi:10.1109/8.855491
25. Zoughi, R. and B. Zonnefeld, "Permittivity characteristics of kevlar, carbon composites, E-glass, and rubber (33% carbon) at X-band (8-12 GHz)," Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 10B, Chapter 38, 1431-1436, Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 1991.
26. Seo, I. L., W. S. Chin, and D. G. Lee, "Characterization of electromagnetic properties of polymeric composite materials with free space method," Compos. Struct., Vol. 66, 533-542, 2004. doi:10.1016/j.compstruct.2004.04.076
27. Tereshchenko, O. V., F. J. K. Buesink, and F. B. J. Leferink, "Measurement of complex permittivity of composite materials using waveguide method," Proc. 10th International Symp. on Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC Europe 2011), 52-56, York, UK, Sep. 2011.
28. Schmidt, R. O., "Multiple emitter location and signal parameter estimation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 34, No. 3, 276-280, 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143830
29. Shrestha, S. M. and I. Arai, "Signal processing of ground penetrating radar using spectral estimation techniques to estimate the position of buried targets," EURASIP J. Appl. Signal Process., Vol. 2003, No. 12, 1198-1209, 2003.
30. Iakovleva, E., S. Gdoura, D. Lesselier, and G. Perrusson, "Multistatic response matrix of a 3-D inclusion in half space and MUSIC imaging," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 9, 2598-2609, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.904103
31. Agarwal, K. and X. Chen, "Applicability of MUSIC-type imaging in two-dimensional electromagnetic inverse problems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 10, 3217-3223, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.929434
32. Abou-Khousa, M. A., D. L. Simms, S. Kharkovsky, and R. Zoughi, "High-resolution short-range wideband FMCW radar measurements based on MUSIC algorithm," Proc. 2009 IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conf. (I2MTC 2009), Singapore, May 2009, DOI: 10.1109/IMTC.2009.5168500.
33. Shirmehenji, F., A. Zeidaabadi-Nezhad, and Z. H. Firouzeh, "Object locating of electromagnetic inclusions in anisotropic permeable background using MUSIC algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 85, 77-89, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18041908