A complex dielectric constant for poplar and monstera delicious's obtained by Ulaby at 10 GHz has been revised at 4 mm band. A measurement setup operating at 4 mm was established for making comparison between modeled and measured values. Results basically show that their electromagnetic transparency increases by drying as expected. While moisture content increases from 0% to 60%, transmitted power decreases from 95% down to 22%; reflection goes up to 50% and the absorption reaches from 1% to 20% for monstera leaf. A model developed for poplar responds much better than the model revised for monstera leaves.
1. Nashashibi, A. and K. Sarabandi, "A bistatic measurement technique for characterization of the effective dielectric constant of random media using a monostatic radar," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 172-177, 1996.
2. Ulaby, T. B. A., K. Sarabandi, and F. T. Ulaby, "Measuring and modeling the backscattering cross-section of a leaf," Radio Science, Vol. 22, 1109-116, 1987. doi:10.1029/RS022i006p01109
3. Marr, R. A., U. H. W. Lammers, T. B. Hansen, T. J. Tanigawa, and R. V. McGahan, "Bistatic RCS calculations from cylindrical near — Field measurements — Part II: Experiments," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 12, 3857-3863, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.886482
4. Sarabandi, K., "Scattering from dielectric structures above impedance surfaces and resistive sheaths," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 40, 67-78, 1992. doi:10.1109/8.123359
5. Senior, T. B. A., "Scattering by resistive strips," Radio Science, Vol. 14, No. 5, 912-924, September--October 1979.
6. De Jong, Y. L. C. and M. H. A. J. Herben, "A tree-scattering model for improved propagation prediction in urban microcells," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technologies, Vol. 53, No. 2, 2004.
7. Linner, L. J. P., "Exact formulas for wave impedance and propagation constants of homogeneous, loss dielectric and/or magnetic materials,", Vol. 37, No. 3, 1989.
8. Chuah, H. T., K. Y. Lee, and T. W. Lau, "Dielectric constant of rubber and oil palm leaf samples at X-band,", Vol. 33, No. 1, 221-223, 1995.
9. Helhel, S., H. Serbest, A. Vertiy, and B. Çolak, "Bistatic scattering for vegetation canopy investigation," 62nd ARFTG Conference, 273-281, Boulder, Co, USA, December 4--5, 2003.
10. Colak, B., "Scattering from singular leaves in mm band," Technical Report, Space Tech. Dept., 46-51, 1994.
11. Hsieh, C.-Y., "Dependence of backscattering from leaves on drymatter fraction and permittivity of saline water of leaves," Journal of Microwaves and Optoelectronics, Vol. 3, No. 3, 1-3, 2003.
12. Helhel, S., A. R. Ellingboe, O. Cerezci, and C. Caman, "Plasma density measurements of confined capacitively coupled plasma by microwave interferometer, and ion energy distribution functions methods," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, 1497-1515, 2006.
13. Chung, B. K., "Dielectric constant measurement for thin material at microwave frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 75, 239-252, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07052801
14. Chung, B. K., "A convenient method for complex permittivity measurement of thin materials at microwave frequencies," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 39, No. 9, 1926-1931, 2006. doi:10.1088/0022-3727/39/9/030