The basic applications of pulsed solid state power amplifier are for airborne and spaceborne pulsed Radar and these applications have always demanded well performance over different environmental conditions. The success of the electronic systems for these applications relies on the ability to design high performance; reliable and high yield circuits, which will function against the demanded environmental specifications. This paper describes the detailed design and development of a spaceborne C-band pulsed solid state power amplifier to deliver 12-watt output power, 45 dB gain with 22 microsecond pulse width and 8% duty cycle. The salient features of this paper are drain modulated pulse driver circuit design, non-linear design of the power stages and electronic package design. The paper also describes pulsed SSPA configuration, RF section, Electronic Power Converter Module, RF design and other space aspects to realize the pulsed solid state power amplifier. It is fabricated on the three-layer metallized alumina substrate, and integrated with power converter module; and tested under simulated space environment. The test result validates the design specification of the pulsed solid state power amplifier, implemented at miniaturized configuration.
1. Yi, H. and S. Hang, "Design of L-band high speed pulsed power amplifier using LDMOS FET," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 2, 153-165, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERM08032805
2. Boger, W., et al., "X-band 17watt SSPA for space applications," IEEE MTT-S International on Microwave Symposium Digest, 2005.
3. Scappaviva, F., et al., "10watt high efficiency gaas mmic power amplifier for space applications," European on Microwave Integrated Circuit Conference, EuMIC, 2008.
4. Czech, J., A.-M. Khilla, and M. Schunzel, "A 10watt C-band GaAs FET power amplifier for satellite down-link communications systems," 14th European Microwave Conference, 1984.
5. Rector Robert, M., "Solid state microwave power amplifier,", Patent # WO 2007146052, December 21, 2007.
6. Dhar, J., S. K. Garg, R. K. Arora, B. V. Bakori, and S. S. Rana, "Space borne C-band pulsed solid state power amplifier," IEEE Applied Electromagnetics Conference, AEMC, 2009.
7. Dhar, J., S. K. Garg, R. K. Arora, and S. S. Rana, "Performance enhancement of pulsed solid state power amplifier using drain modulation over gate modulation," IEEE ISSCS 2009 Proceeding, 1-4, July 9-10, 2009.
8. Cripps, S. C., Advanced Techniques in RF Power Amplifier Design, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2002.
9. Golio, M. and J. Golio, The RF and Microwave Circuits, Measurements and Modeling, CRC Press, New York, 2008.
10. Dhar, J., S. K. Garg, R. K. Arora, and S. S. Rana, "Nonlinear design of a C-band power amplifier using EEHEMT nonlinear model," IEEE ISSCS 2007 Proceeding, Vol. 1, 89-92, 2007.
11. Dhar, J., S. K. Garg, R. K. Arora, and S. S. Rana, "Nonlinear model based power amplifier," IEEE Applied Electromagnetics Conference, AEMC, 2009.
12. Dhar, J., R. K. Arora, A. Dasgupta, and S. S. Rana, "Enclosure effect on microwave power amplifier," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 19, 163-177, 2011.
13. Ansoft High Frequency Structure Simulator and Version 10, , User's Manual.
14. Allan, W. Scott, Cooling of Electronic Equipment, John Wiley & Sons..