An improved multipactor dynamic model is proposed for studying the multipactor phenomenon on a dielectric surface existing longitudinal RF electric field using Monte Carlo method. The susceptibility curves of the electric field on the surface and the temporal evolution images of the multipactor discharge were obtained and discussed. The power deposited on the dielectric surface by the multipactor was also investigated in terms of an S-band RF dielectric window. The results show that, the longitudinal RF electric field may intensify the single-surface multipactor effect, which is likely detrimental to RF transmission and to result in the dielectric crack.
2. Ang, L.-K., Y. Y. Lau, R. A. Kishek, and R. M. Gilgenbach, "Power deposited on a dielectric by multipactor," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 26, 290, 2001.
3. Michizono, S., "Secondary electron emission from alumina RF windows," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., Vol. 14, 583, 2007. doi:10.1109/TDEI.2007.369517
4. Bosman, H., Y. Y. Lau, and R. M. Gilgenbach, "Power absorption by thin films on microwave windows," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 82, 1353, 2003. doi:10.1063/1.1556969
5. Zhu, F., Z. C. Zhang, J. R. Luo, and Y. W. Zhang, "Investigation of the failure mechanism for an S-band pillbox output window applied in high average power klystrons," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 57, 946, 2010. doi:10.1109/TED.2010.2041874
6. Vaughan, J. R. M., "A new formula for secondary emission yield," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 36, 1963, 1989. doi:10.1109/16.34278
7. Vaughan, J. R. M., "Multipactor," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 35, 1172, 1988. doi:10.1109/16.3387
8. Preist, D. H. and R. C. Talcott, "On the heating of output windows of microwave tubes by electron bombardment," IRE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 8, 243, 1961. doi:10.1109/T-ED.1961.14797
9. Nemat-Nasser, S. and H. Deng, "Strain rate effect on brittle failure in compression," Acta Metall. Mater., Vol. 42, 1013, 1994. doi:10.1016/0956-7151(94)90295-X
10. Ramo, S., J. R. Whinnery, and T. Van Duzer, Fields and Waves in Communication Electronics, 3rd Ed., Wiley, New York, 1994.