In this paper, dispersion characteristics of the partial H-plane waveguides are theoretically investigated by applying Galerkin's method in Fourier domain. By extracting the dyadic Green's functions of the structure and satisfying the boundary conditions along the longitudinal slit, propagation constant and consequently, the fields in the structure are obtained. It is seen than propagation constant not only depends on the waveguide dimensions, but also on the location and dimension of the slit. A significant feature of the structure is that its first and second propagation modes can be separately controlled which is very useful in designing single-mode and multi-mode filters. Two examples are given which in the first one, the parameters of the structure are assigned in such a way the first and second cut off frequencies are at f=3.1 GHz and f=6.2 GHz respectively, but in the second example, first and second modes are degenerate. The validity of the method is confirmed by comparing our results with ones from others.
1. Kim, D. and J. Lee, "Partial H-plane filters with partially inserted H-plane metal vane," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 5, 2005.
2. Kim, D. W., D. J. Kim, and J. Lee, "Compact partial H-plane filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 11, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.883652
3. Kim, D. J., J. Lee, K. D. Kim, and J. Lee, "Quarter wavelength resonator partial H-plane filter," Proceedings of the 36th European Microwave Conference, 991-994, 2006.
4. Kim, D. J. and J. Lee, "Partial H-plane filter with attenuation pole," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 4260-4263, 2007.
5. Kim, D. J. and J. Lee, "Compact resonant slot array antenna using partial H-plane waveguide," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 2010.
6. Kim, D. J. and J. Lee, "Resonant array antenna using inclined sidewall slot in partial H-plane waveguide," MTT-Symposium, 1-2, 2007. doi:10.1002/masy.200750301
7. Aghayari, H. and N. Komjani, "Substrate integrated waveguide H-plane filter," Proceedings of the 39th European Microwave Conference, 460-463, 2009.
8. Wu, L., X. Zhou, and W. Yin, "Novel multilayer partial H-plane filter implemented with folded substrate integrated waveguide (FSIW)," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 8, 2009.
9. Xu, F., K. Wu, X. Zhang, and K. Wu, "Periodic leaky-wave antenna for millimeter wave applications based on substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 2, 2010.
10. Che, W., L. Geng, K. Deng, and Y. L. Chow, "Analysis and experiments of compact folded substrate-integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 1, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.911955
11. Rezaiesarlak, R. and E. Jafari, "Spectral analysis of coupling between cylindrical cavity resonator and micro-strip line for filter design applications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, No. 12, 2124-2132, 2010. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2009.0573
12. Rezaiesarlak, R., F. Hodjatkashani, and E. Mehrshahi, "Analysis of capasitively coupled microstrip-ring resonator based on spectral domain method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 25-33, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08012504
13. Itoh, T., Numerical Techniques for Microwave and Millimeter-wave Passive Structures, John Wiley & Sons, 1989.