In this article, an S-band two-way inverted asymmetrical Doherty power amplifier (IADPA) using LDMOS FET is proposed. Due to the compact inverted load network with low inserted loss and the asymmetrical structure, the amplifier exhibits a high efficiency when operating at an output power back-off beyond 6 dB. For experimental verification, an IADPA has been implemented and a modulated Long Term Evolution (LTE) signal with 20-MHz channel bandwidth is applied as excitation. According to the measured results, the proposed amplifier can achieve a drain efficiency of 47.6% at the output power back-off of 7.7 dB from saturated power point and an adjacent channel power ratio (ACPR) less than -53 dBc with digital pre-distortion (DPD) when operating at 2.65 GHz.
2. Rubio, J. M., J. Fang, V. Camarchia, R. Quaglia, M. Pirola, and G. Ghione, "3-3.6 GHz wideband GaN Doherty power amplifier exploiting output compensation stages," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 60, No. 8, 2543-2548, Aug. 2012.
3. Lee, M. W., S. H. Kam, Y. S. Lee, and Y. H. Jeong, "A highly efficient three-stage Doherty power amplifier with flat gain for WCDMA applications," Journals of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 17-18, 2537-2545, Jan. 2010.
4. Wong, S. K., C. P. Ooi, W. L. Pang, and K. Y. Chan, "A high gain and high efficiency CMOS driver amplifier for 3.5 GHz WiMAX applications," Journals of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 4, 512-524, Jan. 2012.
5. Zhou, R., Y. Dong, and J. Bao, "A 460MHz Doherty amplifier for IMT-advanced system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 32, 187-195, 2012.
6. Doherty, W. H., "A new high efficiency power amplifier for modulated waves," Proceeding of the Institute of Radio Engineers, Vol. 24, No. 9, 1163-1182, Sep. 1936.
7. Lee, Y.-S., M.-W. Lee, and Y.-H. Jeong, "A highly linear and efficient two-stage GaN HEMT asymmetrical Doherty amplifier for WCDMA applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 6, 1464-1467, Jun. 2009.
8. Jang, , D.-H., J.-Y. Kim, and J.-H. Kim, "46-W high efficiency unbalanced Doherty power amplifier in extended output power back-off," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 7, 1612-1614, Jul. 2012.
9. Lee, Y.-S., M.-W. Lee, S.-H. Kam, and Y.-H. Jeong, "A highly linear and efficient three-way Doherty amplifier using two-stage GaN HEMT cells for repeater systems," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 12, 2895-2898, Dec. 2009.
10. Jin, S., J. Zhou, and L. Zhang, "A broadband inverted Doherty power amplifier for IEEE 802.11b/g WLAN applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 3, 636-639, Mar. 2011.
11. Chen, X.-Q., Y.-C. Guo, and X.-W. Shi, "Advanced design methods for a high efficiency Doherty power amplifier," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters,, Vol. 50, No. 6, 1330-1333, May 2008.
12. Kam, S.-H., M.-W. Lee, Y.-S. Lee, and Y.-H. Jeong, "A highly efficient and linear inverted Doherty power amplifier with unsymmetrical delay path," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 6, 1302-1305, Jun. 2011.
13. Ahn, G., M. Kim, H. Park, S. Jung, J. Van, H. Cho, S. Kwon, J. Jeong, K. Lim, J. Y. Kim, S. C. Song, C. Park, and Y. Yang, "Design of high-efficiency and high-power inverted Doherty amplifier," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 55, 1105-1111, Jun. 2007.