A microstrip monopolar patch antenna with shorting vias in the circular patch and coupled ring for bandwidth enhancement is proposed. The bandwidth of the proposed antenna with shorting vias in the annular coupled ring is over 40% wider than that of the antenna without shorting vias in the annular ring. The proposed antenna provides a wide bandwidth because of four resonant modes, including the TM01 mode of the circular patch, TM01 mode of the coupled annular ring, TM02 mode of the circular patch, TM02 mode of the coupled annular ring. These modes can generate a omnidirectional pattern in the azimuth plane like a monopole antenna. A prototype was fabricated to confirm the simulation verdictions. Measured results show that 10-dB return loss bandwidth of 38.4% from 4.42 to 6.52 and average gain of 5 dBi acrossing the operating band are achieved for the proposed antenna with a low profile of 0.027 wavelength.
2. Delaveaud, C., P. Leveque, and B. Jecko, "New kind of microstrip antenna: The monopolar wire-patch antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 1, 1-2, 1994.
3. Foltz, H. D., J. S. McLean, and G. Crook, "Disk-loaded monopoles with parallel strip elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 46, No. 12, 1894-1896, Dec. 1998.
4. Chin, K. W., K. F. Tong, and .-M. Luk, "Wideband circular patch antenna operated at TM mode," Electron. Lett., Vol. 35, No. 24, 2070-2071, Nov. 1999.
5. Guo, Y.-X., M. Y. W. Chia, Z. N. Chen, and K.-M. Luk, "Wide-bandL-probe fed circular patch antenna for conical-pattern radiation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 4, 1115-1116, Apr. 2004.
6. Lau, K. L. and K. M. Luk, "A wide-band monopolar wire-patch antenna for indoor base station applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 4, 155-157, 2005.
7. Lau, K.-L., P. Li, and K.-M. Luk, "A monopolar patch antenna with very wide impedance bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 2, 655-661, Feb. 2005.
8. Diot, J.-C., B. Beillard, J. Andrieu, M. Lalande, and B. Jecko, "Designof antennas for transient ultra wide band systems," Proc. 11th ANTEM, 396-397, St Malo, France, 2005.
9. Lau, K. L., K. C. Kong, and aK. M. Luk, "Super-wideband monopolar patch antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 12, 716-718, Jun. 2008.
10. Zuo, S. L., Y. Z. Yin, Z. Y. Zhang, and K. Song, "Enhanced bandwidth of low-profile sleeve monopole antenna for indoor base station application," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 24, 1587-1588, Nov. 2010.
11. Zhang, Z.-Y., G. Fu, S.-X. Gong, S.-L. Zuo, and Q.-Y. Lu, "Sleeve monopole antenna for DVB-H applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 13, 879-880, Jun. 2010.
12. Al-Zoubi, A., F. Yang, and A. Kishk, "A broadband center-fed circular patch-ring antenna with a monopole like radiation pattern," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 3, 789-792, Mar. 2009.
13. Liu, J., Q. Xue, H. Wong, H. Lai, and Y. Long, "Design and analysis of a low-profile and broadband microstrip monopolar patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 1, 11-18, Jan. 2013.
14. Liu, J., S. Zheng, Y. Li, and L. Long, "Broadband monopolar microstrip patch antenna with shortingvias and coupled ring," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag., Vol. 21, No. 1, 21-25, Jan. 2014.