A novel and compact triband planar antenna geometry suitable for DCS/WLAN/WiMAX services is reported. The multiple metal strip geometry in dual F shape is printed on a substrate of dielectric permittivity 4.4 and thickness 1.6 mm. A truncated and asymmetrically placed ground structure is used for improved impedance matching. Feed position is also optimized for good antenna radiation performance. The geometry is simulated using High Frequency Structure Simulator. All the radiation characteristics of the antenna are validated experimentally and found in good agreement with simulation results. Performance of the proposed antenna is compared with other triband antennas reported in the literature. Measured radiation patterns and gain are also presented in this paper. The radiation patterns are validated by EMSCAN Corporation's RFxpertTM application tool also.
1. Desde, I., G. Bozdag, and A. Kustepeli, "Multi-band CPW fed MIMO antenna for bluetooth, WLAN, and WiMAX," Microwave and Opt. Techno. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 9, 1023-1026, 2016.
2. Yadav, N. P. and M. R. Tripathy, "Single feed dualband miniaturized E-shaped/U-slot patch antenna," PIERS Proceedings, 615-621, Prague, Czech Republic, July 6-9, 2015.
3. Guo, Y. X., K. M. Luk, K. F. Lee, and Y. L. Chow, "Double U-slot rectangular patch antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 34, No. 19, 1805-1806, 1998. doi:10.1049/el:19981283
4. Mohammad Ali Nezhad, S. and H. R. Hassani, "A novel triband E-shaped printed monopole antenna for MIMO applicatio," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 576-579, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2051131
5. Wu, R. Z., P. Wang, Q. Zheng, and R. P. Li, "Compact CPW-fed triple-band antenna for diversity applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 10, 735-736, 2015. doi:10.1049/el.2015.0466
6. Islam, M. M., M. R. I. Faruque, W. Hueyshin, J. S. Mandeep, and T. Islam, "A double inverted F-shape patch antenna for dual-band operation," Int. J. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2014, 2014.
7. Mak, C. L., R. Chair, K. F. Lee, K. M. Luk, and A. A. Kishk, "Half U-slot patch antenna with shorting wall," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 25, 982-984, 2003.
8. Karimian, R., H. Oraizi, S. Fakhte, and M. Farahani, "Novel F-shaped quad-band printed slot antenna for WLAN and WiMAX MIMO systems," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 405-408, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2252140
9. Lin, W. P., D. H. Yang, and Z. De Lin, "Compact dual-band planar inverted-e-shaped antenna using defected ground structure," Int. J. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2014, 2014.
10. Kim, T. H. and D. C. Park, "Compact dual-band antenna with double L-slits for WLAN operations," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 4, No. 1, 249-252, 2005.
11. Patel, R, A. Desai, and T. Upadhyaya, "An electrically small antenna using defected ground structure for RFID, GPS and IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/s applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 75, 75-81, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL18021901
12. Ojaroudi, N. and N. Ghadimi, "Design of CPW-fed slot antenna for MIMO system applications," Microwave and Opt. Techno. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1278-1281, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28346
13. Kakhki, M. B., P. Rezaei, V. Sharbati, and M. M. Fakharian, "Small square reconfigurable antenna with switchable single/tri-band functions," Radioengineering, Vol. 25, No. 1, 40-45, 2016. doi:10.13164/re.2016.0040
14. Shah, S. A. A., M. F. Khan, S. Ullah, A. Basir, U. Ali, and U. Naeem, "Design and measurement of planar monopole antennas for multi-band wireless applications," IETE Journal of Research, DOI: 10.1080/03772063.2016.1261049, 2017.
15. Upadhyaya, T., A. Desai, and R. Patel, "Design of printed monopole antenna for wireless energy meter and smart applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 77, 27-33, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL18042203
16. Chu, H. B. and H. Shirai, "A compact metamaterial quad-band antenna based on asymmetric E-CRLH unit cell," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 81, 171-179, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC17111605
17. Ansoft High Frequency Structure Simulation (HFSSTM), Ansoft Corporation and Pittsburgh, , PA.
18. Zhai, H., L. Liu, Z. Ma, and C. Liang, "A printed monopole antenna for triple-band WLAN/WiMAX applications," Int. J. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2015, 2015.