A W-band high isolation single-balanced mixer using a 0.1-um GaN high-electron mobility transistor process is proposed in this paper. The diode is biased near the threshold voltage to reduce drive level, and the needed LO power is only 3 dBm. Moreover, the reasonable diode layout and phase compensation structure are used in the proposed mixer to enhance the LO-to-RF isolation. The measured results of the proposed mixer demonstrate a single-sideband conversion loss of 9-10.6 dB and a LO-RF isolation of 40 dB from 75 to 110 GHz with 7 dBm LO power. Moreover, a DC-to-18 GHz IF bandwidth is achieved with the LO frequency fixed at 110 GHz. The 1 dB compression point of the proposed mixer is 11 dBm with 16 dBm LO power. The measurement results indicate that GaN mixer has great potential for W-band transceiver system applications.
1. Moon, J. S., D. Wong, P. Hashimoto, M. Hu, I. Milosavljevic, P. Willadsen, and C. McGuire, "Sub 1-dB noise figure performance of high-power field-plated GaN HEMTs," IEEE Electron Device Lett., Vol. 32, No. 3, 297-299, 2011. doi:10.1109/LED.2010.2095408
2. Giacomo, V. D., N. Thouvenin, and C. Gaquiere, "Modelling and design of a wideband 6-18 GHz GaN resistive mixer," Proceedings of the 39th European Microwave Conference, 1812-1815, 2009.
3. Do, M.-N., M. Seelmann-Eggebert, R. Quay, D. Langrez, and J.-L. Cazaux, "AlGaN/GaN mixer MMICs, and RF front-end receivers for C-, Ku-, and Ka-band space applications," Microwave Integrated Circuits Conf. (EuMIC1), 57-60, 2010.
4. Nguyen, S., M. J. Be Zaire, R. O. Hiramoto, T. Lee, and M. Micovic, "Q-band GaN LNA using a 0.15 μm T-gate process," Compound Semiconductor Integrated Circuit Symp., 1-4, Monterey, 2008.
5. Sudow, M., K. Andersson, M. Fagerlind, M. Thorsell, P. A. Nilsson, and N. Rorsman, "A single-ended resistive X-band AlGaN/GaN HEMT MMIC mixer," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 10, 2201-2206, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.2001958
6. Kang, J., A. Kurdoghlian, A. Margomenos, H. P. Moyer, D. Brown, and C. McGuire, "Ultra-wideband, high-dynamic range, low loss GaN HEMT mixer," Electron. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 4, 295-297, 2014. doi:10.1049/el.2013.4135
7. Van Heijningen, M., J. A. Hoogland, A. P. de Hek, and F. E. van Vliet, "6-12 GHz double-balanced image-reject mixer MMIC in 0.25 μm AlGaN/GaN technology," Proc. EuMIC, 65-68, 2014.
8. Kurdoghlian, A., H. Moyer, H. Sharifi, D. F. Brown, R. Nagele, and J. Tai, "First demonstration of broadband W-band and D-band GaN MMICs for next generation communication systems," 2017 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS), 1126-1128, 2017. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2017.8058796
9. De Padova, A., P. E. Longhi, S. Colangeli, W. Ciccognani, and E. Limiti, "Design of a GaN-on-Si single-balanced resistive mixer for Ka-band satcom," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 29, No. 1, 56-58, 2019. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2018.2880315
10. Xu, L., Z. Wang, and Q. Li, "Design of a monolithic millimeter-wave doubly-balanced mixer in GaAs," Journal of Semiconductors, Vol. 30, No. 8, 2009.
11. Wu, S., J. Gao, W. Wang, and J. Zhang, "W-band MMIC PA with ultrahigh power density in 100-nm AlGaN/GaN technology," IEEE Transations on Electron Devices, Vol. 63, No. 10, 3882-3886, 2016. doi:10.1109/TED.2016.2597244
12. Hwang, Y.-J., H. Wang, and T.-H. Chu, "A-band subharmonically pumped monolithic GaAs-based HEMT gate mixer," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 7, 313-315, 2004. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2004.829256
13. Barnes, A. R., P. Munday, R. Jennings, and M. T. Moore, "A comparison of -band monolithic resistive mixer architectures," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 1867-1870, 2002.
14. Hwang, Y. J., C. H. Lien, H. Wang, M. W. Sinclair, R. G. Gough, H. Kanoniuk, and T. H. Chu, "A 78-114 GHz monolithic subharmonically pumped GaAs-based HEMT diode mixer," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 12, No. 6, 209-211, 2002. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2002.1009997