A micro electromechanical phase shifter base on the fractal geometries is proposed to work at Ku frequency band with at least 23% lower actuation voltage compared to the simple rectangular membrane counterparts. In this design the membrane of the switch is chosen to be a Koch fractal and then a distributed MEMS phase shifter is set up by cascading a distinct number of these switches. This phase shifter is analyzed to obtain its parameters such as differential phase shift, group delay, and insertion and return loss. It will be shown that this phase shifter could be used as a low loss multi bit phase shifter system because of its low insertion loss and power consumption.
1. Huang, J. M., K. M. Liew, C. H. Wong, S. Rajendran, M. J. Tan, and A. Q. Liu, "Mechanical design and optimization of capacitive micro-machined switches," Sensors and Actuators A, Vol. 93, 273-285, 2001. doi:10.1016/S0924-4247(01)00662-8
2. Qing, J., Y. Shi, W. Li, Z. Lai, Z. Zhu, and P. Xin, "Ka-band distributed MEMS phase shifters on silicon using alsi suspended membrane," Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 13, No. 3, June 2004.
3. Hung, J. J., L. Dussopt, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Distributed 2- and 3-bit W-band MEMS phase shifters on glass substrates," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 2, February 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.821941
4. Hayden, J. S. and G. M. Rebeiz, "Very low-loss distributed X-band and Ka-band MEMS phase shifters using metal-airmetal capacitors," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 1, January 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.806520
5. Kim, H. T., J. H. Park, J. Yim, Y.-K. Kim, and Y. Kwon, "A compact V-band 2-bit reflection-type MEMS phase shifter," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 12, No. 9, September 2002.
6. Afrang, S. and E. Abbaspour-Sani, "A low voltage MEMS structure for RF capacitive switches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 157-167, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06093001
7. Abbaspour-Sani, E., N. Nasirzadeh, and G. Dadashzadeh, "Two novel structures for tunable MEMS capacitor with RF applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 169-183, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06081404
8. Afrang, S. and B. Y. Majlis, "Small size ka-band distributed MEMS phase shifters using inductors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 95-113, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07101903
9. Wu, W and Y.-H. Bi, "Switched-beam planar fractal antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 20, No. 3, 409-415, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775701786
10. Raveu, N., E. Perret, H. Aubert, and H. Legay, "Design of MEMS controlled phased shifter using SCT," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 2, 230-232, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS060907032452
11. Werner, D. H. and S. Ganguly, "An overview of fractal antenna engineering research," IEEE Antenna and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 1, February 2003.
12. Rebeiz, G. M., "Phase-noise analysis of MEMS-based circuits and phase shifters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 5, May 2002. doi:10.1109/22.999145
13. Hayden, J. S. and G. M. Rebeiz, "2-bit MEMS distributed MEMS X-band phase shifters," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 10, No. 12, 540-542, December 2000. doi:10.1109/75.895096
14. Liu, Y., A. Borgioli, A. S. Nagra, and R. A. York, "K-band 3-bit low-loss distributed MEMS phase shifter," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 10, No. 10, 415-417, October 2000. doi:10.1109/75.877230
15. Kim, H. T., J. H. Park, S. Lee, S. Kim, J. M. Kim, Y. K. Kim, and Y. Kwon, "V-band 20-bit and 4-bit low loss and low voltage distributed MEMS digital phase shifter using metal-air-metal capacitors," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 12, 2918-2923, December 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.805285
16. Ko, Y. J., J. Y. Park, H. T. Kim, and J. U. Bu, "Integrated five-bit RF MEMS phase shifter for satellite broadcasting/communication systems," IEEE, 2003.