A compact dual-band high impedance surface (HIS) electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structure is designed as a reflector for a dual-band coplanar waveguide (CPW)-fed planar monopole antenna. The reflector comprises an array of metal square patches which are etched square ring slots. Details of the HIS structure and dual reflection phase frequency bands characteristics are presented and discussed. The simulated and measured results show that the combination of the HIS reflector and the antenna provides directional properties for both frequency bands. At the same time, compared to the antenna integrated with a metal reflector, the profile of the proposed antenna is reduced by more than 60%; the radiation efficiency is increased by 23% (simulated result); and the front-back ratio is increased by 17 dB and 11 dB at the two operating frequency bands, respectively.
"Dual-Band Low Profile Directional Antenna with High Impedance Surface Reflector," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 25, 67-75, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERL11051109
1. Nakano, H., K. Kikkawa, N. Kondo, Y. Iitsuka, and J. Yamauchi, "Low-profile equiangular spiral antenna backed by an EBG reflector," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 5, 1309-1318, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2016697
2. Shams, K. M. Z., M. Ali, and H. S. Hwang, "A planar inductively coupled bow-tie slot antenna for WLAN application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 7, 861-871, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776149879
3. Denidni, T. A., Q. Rao, and A. R. Sebak, "T-shaped microstrip feeding technique for a dual annnular slot antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 5, 605-614, 2005. doi:10.1163/1569393053305071
4. Kim, Y., F. Yang and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Compact artificial magnetic conductor designs using planar square spiral geometries," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 43-54, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07072302
5. Gu, Y. Y., W. X. Zhang, and Z. C. Ge, "Two improved Fabry-Perot resonator printed antennas using EBG superstrate and AMC substrate," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 6, 719-728, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307780749147
6. Qu, S. W., J. L. Li, Q. Xue, and C. H. Chan, "Novel unidirectional slot antenna with a vertical wall," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 239-251, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08072802
7. Yang, F. and Y. R. Samii, "Reflection phase characterizations of the EBG ground plane for low profile wire antenna applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2003.
8. Fu, Y. Q., Q. R. Zheng, Q. Gao, and G. H. Zhang, "Mutual coupling reduction between large antenna arrays using electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications , Vol. 20, No. 6, 819-825, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776143415
9. Sohn, J. R., K. Y. Kim, H.-S. Tae, and H. J. Lee, "Comparative study on various artificial magnetic conductors for low-profile antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 27-37, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06011701
10. Zhu, , S. Z. R. Langley, "Dual-band wearable textile antenna on an EBG substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 4, 926-935, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2014527
11. Yang, F., V. Demir, D. A. Elsherbeni, A. Z. Elsherbeni, and A. A. Eldek, "Enhancement of printed dipole antennas characteristics using semi-EBG ground plane," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 8, 993-1006, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776930330
12. Hosseini, M., A. Pirhadi, and M. Hakkak, "A novel AMC with little sensitivity to the angle of incidence using 2-layer jerusalem cross FSS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 43-51, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06061301
13. Liang, L. , C. H. Liang, L. Chen, and X. Chen, "A novel broadband EBG using cascaded mushroom-like structure," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 21, 67-2170, 2008.
14. Zhang, L.-J., C.-H. Liang, L. Liang, and L. Chen, "A novel design approach for dual-band electromagnetic band-gap structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 4, 81-91, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERM08071107
15. Yang, , F. and Y. R. Samii, Electromagnetic Band Gap Structures in Antenna Engineering, Cambridge University Press, 2009.