In this paper, a novel design of open slot antenna for bandwidth enhancement is proposed and investigated. The bandwidth enhancement of the proposed antenna is achieved by simply attaching a rectangular stub to the circular radiating patch. Experimental results indicate that the bandwidth of the antenna can achieve an operating bandwidth of about 139% over a wideband frequency range from 2.57 to 14.23 GHz. This antenna has a small size of dimensions 20×35 mm2 and is suitable for wideband applications in various wireless communication systems.
"Design of Open Slot Antenna for Bandwidth Enhancement with a Rectangular Stub," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 25, 109-115, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERL11062602
1. Sadat , S. , M. Fardis, F. G. Geran, and G. R. Dadashzadeh, "A compact microstrip square-ring slot antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 173-179, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06082901
2. Dastranj, A., A. Imani, and M. Naser-Moghaddasi, "Printed wide-slot antenna for wideband applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 10, 3097-3102, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.929459
3. Lin, S.-Y. and B.-J. Ke, "Ultrawideband printed patch antenna in notch," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 9, 2080-2084, 2009. doi:10.1002/mop.24570
4. Chair, R. , A. A. Kishk, K.-F. Lee, C. E. Smith, and D. Kajfez, "Microstrip line and CPW FED ultra wideband slot antennas with U-shaped tuning stub and reflector," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 163-182, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05060701
5. Chen , W. S. and K. Y. Ku, "Broadband design of non-symmetric ground λ/4 open slot antenna with small size," Microwave Journal, Vol. 50, 110-121, 2007.
7. Chen , D. and C.-H. Cheng, "A novel compact ultra-wideband (UWB) wide slot antenna with via holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 343-349, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09062306
8. Chen , W. L. , G. M. Wang, and C. X. Zhang, "Bandwidth enhancement of a microstrip-line-fed printed wide-slot antenna with a fractal-shaped slot," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 7, 2176-2179, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2021974
9. Kim , H. and C.-W. Jung, "Bandwidth enhancement of CPW fed tapered slot antenna with multi-transformation characteristics," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 15, 1050-1051, 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.1624
10. Latif , S. I., S. K. Sharma, and L. Shafai, "Wideband microstrip monopole slot antenna," Antennas, Propag. and EM Theory Int. Symp. Dig., 54-57, 2003.
11. Latif, S. I., L. Shafai, and S. K. Sharma, "Bandwidth enhancement and size reduction of microstrip slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 3, 994-1003, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.842674
12. Chen , W. S. , F.-Y. Lin, and K.-C. Yang, "Studies of small open-slot antennas for wide-band applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, 2008. doi:10.1155/2008/456019
13. Dastranj, A. and M. Biguesh, "Broadband coplanar waveguide-fed wide-slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 89-101, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10041706