In this paper, an ultra-wideband (UWB) monopole printed antenna with wing-shaped coplanar waveguides (CPW) feeder is proposed, in which the wing-shaped CPW feeder is used to increase the impedance bandwidth. A CPW-fed antenna is used in this design for its simple structure, compact size and ease of integration with microwave circuits. The proposed antenna is fabricated on Durion Roger R4003c, 22×41 mm2 substrate and measured. The simulated and measured results show that the antenna operates between 2.04 to 11.67 GHz. The unique wing-shaped CPW feeding structure causes a significant increase on the bandwidth of the proposed antenna compared to the present patch antennas. Also it removes unwanted ripples from the return loss and improves antenna's pattern.
Mohd Fadzil Ain,
Md. Shahar Aftanasar,
"A Novel UWB Octagonal Semi-Ring Antenna with CPW-Wing-Shaped Ground Plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 41, 113-123, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERL13051402
1. Garg, R., Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House Publishers, 2001.
2. Lee, K. F. and K. M. Luk, "Microstrip Patch Antennas," Imperial College Press, 2010.
3. Roderick, J. and P. S. Hall, Handbook of Microstrip Antennas, Vol. 2, Peregrinus, 1989.
4. Nekoogar, F., Ultra-wideband Communications: Fundamentals and Applications, Prentice Hall Press, 2005.
5. Aghda, M. R., M. R. Kamarudin, and H. U. Iddi, "M-shape surrounded with ring patch wideband monopole printed antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 2, 482-486, 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.26541
6. Aghda, M. R., M. F. Ain, and A. B. Md. Shahar, "A new ultra-wideband antenna with unique ground plane shape," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 35, 165-179, 2012.
7. Aghda, M. R. and M. R. Kamarudin, "UTM-logo wideband printed monopole antenna surrounded with circular ring patch," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 157-164, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10070709
8. Zhang, X., T.-L. Zhang, Y.-Y. Xia, Z.-H. Yan, and X.-M. Wang, "Planar monopole antenna with band-notch characterization for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 149-156, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09011305
9. Yin, X.-C., C.-L. Ruan, C.-Y. Ding, and J.-H. Chu, "A planar u type monopole antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 1-10, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07121405
10. Yang, T. and W. A. Davis, "Planar half-disk antenna structures for ultra-wideband communications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3, 2508-2511, IEEE, 2004.
11. Sze, J.-Y., T.-H. Hu, and T.-J. Chen, "Compact dual-band annular-ring slot antenna with meandered grounded strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 299-308, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09072404
12. Suh, S.-Y., W. L. Stutzman, and W. A. Davis, "A new ultrawideband printed monopole antenna: The planar inverted cone antenna (PICA)," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 5, 1361-1364, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.827529
13. Su, S.-W., K.-L. Wong, and F.-S. Chang, "Compact printed ultra-wideband slot antenna with a band-notched operation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 45, No. 2, 128-130, 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.20746
14. Mallahzadeh, A. R, A. A. Dastranj, and H. R. Hassani, "A novel dual-polarized double-ridged horn antenna for wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 67-80, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07101602
15. Lin, C.-C. and H.-R. Chuang, "A 3-12 GHz UWB planar triangular monopole antenna with ridged ground-plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 307-321, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08070502
16. Lee, S. H., J. K. Park, and J. N. Lee, "A novel CPW-fed ultra-wideband antenna design," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 44, No. 5, 393-396, 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.20646
17. Lee, H. K., J. K. Park, and J. N. Lee, "Design of a planar half-circle-shaped UWB notch antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 47, No. 1, 9-11, 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.21065
18. Chang, D.-C., M.-Y. Liu, and C.-H. Lin, "A CPW-fed U type monopole antenna for UWB applications," 2005 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 512-515, 2005. doi:10.1109/APS.2005.1551858
20. Chung, K., S. Pyun, and J. Choi, "Design of an ultrawide-band tem horn antenna with a microstrip-type balun," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 10, 3410-3413, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.856396
21. Chung, K, T. Yun, and J. Choi, "Wideband CPW-fed monopole antenna with parasitic elements and slots," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 17, 1038-1040, 2004. doi:10.1049/el:20045549
22. Dehdasht-Heydari, R., H. R. Hassani, and A. R. Mallahzadeh, "Quad ridged horn antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 23-38, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07091602
23. Fallahi, R., A. A. Kalteh, and M. G. Roozbahani, "A novel UWB elliptical slot antenna with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 127-136, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08022603