A new out-of-phase power divider (PD) without phase shifter at the output ports is proposed. Based on admittance matrix, a new topology of uniplanar power divider with symmetrical outputs is designed. Under conditions of good matching, perfect isolation, and 180° phase difference between two output ports, the corresponding design equations and synthesis procedures are derived and given with admittance matrix. To verify the design approach, an out-of-phase power divider operating at 2 GHz with equal power division ratio is designed, fabricated, and measured. Experimental results demonstrate that the input return loss is better than 32 dB, the insertion loss is less than 0.29 dB and the isolation is better than 33 dB. The amplitude imbalance between the output ports is 0.03 dB and the phase difference between the two output ports is 181.6 °at the operation frequency. Further more, 49.9% relative bandwidth of 15 dB return loss and 39.4% relative bandwidth of 20 dB port isolation are achieved.
"A Symmetrical Outputs Uniplanar Out-of-Phase Power Divider Without Phase Shifter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 48, 95-101, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERL14070208
1. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3th Edition, 185–187, Wiley, New York, 2005.
2. Fan, F., Z. Yan, and J. Jiang, "Design of a novel compact power divider with harmonic suppression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 5, 151-157, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08111808
3. Wu, Y., Y. Liu, and X. Liu, "Dual-frequency power divider with isolation stubs," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 24, 1407-1408, 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20082420
4. Wu, Y., Y. Liu, and S. Li, "An unequal dual-frequency Wilkinson power divider with optional isolation structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 393-411, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09030501
5. Chiang, C. T. and B.-K. Chung, "Ultra wideband power divider using tapered line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 61-73, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10061603
6. Wang, D., H. Zhang, T. Xu, H. Wang, and G. Zhang, "Design and optimization of equal split broadband microstrip Wilkinson power divider using enhanced particle swarm optimization algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 321-334, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11052303
7. Deng, P.-H., J.-H. Guo, and W.-C. Kuo, "New Wilkinson power dividers based on compact steppedimpedance transmission lines and shunt open stubs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 407-426, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11111612
8. Peng, H., Z. Q. Yang, Y. Liu, T. Yang, and K. Tan, "An improved UWB non-coplanar power divider," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 31-39, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13011003
9. Hayashi, H., H. Okazaki, A. Kanda, T. Hirota, and M. Muraguchi, "Millimeter-wave-band amplifier and mixer MMIC’s using a broad-band 45◦ power divider/combiner," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 46, No. 6, 811-819, Jun. 1998. doi:10.1109/22.681205
10. Antoniades, M. A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A broadband Wilkinson balun using microstrip metamaterial lines," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 4, 209-212, 2005. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.851005
11. Chen, J. X., C. H. K. Chin, K. W. Lau, and Q. Xue, "180◦ out-of-phase power divider based on double-sided parallel striplines," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 21, 1229-1230, Oct. 2006. doi:10.1049/el:20061767
12. Yang, T., J. X. Chen, and Q. Xue, "Three-way out-of-phase power divider," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 7, 482-483, Oct. 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20080258
13. Dai, G. L., X. C. Wei, E. P. Li, and M. Y. Xia, "Novel dual-band out-of-phase power divider with high power-handling capability," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 8, 2403-2409, Aug. 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2190745
14. Lu, Y. L., G.-L. Dai, X. Wei, and E. Li, "A broadband out-of-phase power divider for high power applications using through ground via (Tgv)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 653-667, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13010705
15. Kim, J. S. and M. G. Kim, "Out-of-phase Wilkinson power divider," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 1, 58-60, Jan. 2009.
16. Song, K. J. and Q. Xue, "Ultra-wideband out-of-phase power divider using multilayer microstrip slotline coupling structure," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 7, 1591-1594, 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.25274
17. Li, Q., X.-W. Shi, F. Wei, and J.-G. Gong, "A novel planar 180◦ out-of-phase power divider for UWB application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 1, 161-167, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311793898288
18. Fan, L. and K. Chang, "A 180◦ out-of-phase power divider using asymmetrical coplanar stripline," IEEE Microw. Guid. Wave Lett., Vol. 6, No. 11, 404-406, Nov. 1996. doi:10.1109/75.541454
19. Abbosh, A. M., "Planar out-of-phase power divider/combiner for wideband high power microwave applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 4, No. 3, 465-471, Mar. 2014.
20. Miao, C., G. Tian, J. Yang, and W. Wu, "Analysis of multiport passive components using admittance matrix," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 1-4, 2012.