In this letter, a novel broadband single-layer reflectarray element composed of a circular patch and double circular ring is presented. The element in the reflectarray provides a nearly 360° linear phase range and has rebirth capability. The broadband characteristic of this reflectarray is obtained due to the sub-wavelength of the element space and the combination of two resonators of complementary size on a single layer. Then, a prime-focus 225-element microstrip reflectarray with this phoenix cell has been designed and implemented. The measured gain is 22 dBi with 1 dB drop within 29% bandwidth at the center frequency of 10 GHz.
"A Broadband Reflectarray Using Phoenix Unit Cell," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 50, 67-72, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERL14093003
1. Li, H., B. Z. Wang, and W. Shao, "Novel broadband reflectarray antenna with compound-cross-loop elements for millimeter-wave application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 10, 1333-1340, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783239528
3. Tsai, F.-C. E. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Designing a 161-element Ku-band microstrip reflectarray of variable size patches using an equivalent unit cell waveguide approach," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2953-2962, Oct. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.818001
4. Carrasco, E., M. Barba, and J. A. Encinar, "Reflectarray element based on aperture-coupled patches with slots and lines of variable length," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 3, 820-825, Mar. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.891863
5. Encinar, J. A. and J. A. Zornoza, "Broadband design of three-layer printed reflectarrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 7, 1662-1664, Jul. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.813611
6. Encinar, J. A., "Design of two-layer printed reflectarrays using patches of variable size," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 10, 1403-1410, Oct. 2001. doi:10.1109/8.954929
7. Chaharmir, M. R., J. Shaker, M. Cuhaci, and A. Ittipiboon, "A broadband reflectarray antenna with double square rings," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 7, 1317-1320, Jul. 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.21630
8. Hamed, H., M. Kamyab, and A. Mirkamali, "Broadband reflectarray antenna incorporating disk elements with attached phase-delay lines," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 156-158, 2010.
9. Li, Y. Z., M. E. Bialkowski, and A. M. Abbosh, "Single layer reflectarray with circular rings and open-circuited stubs for wideband operation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 9, 4183-4189, Sep. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207060
10. Ren, L.-S., Y.-C. Jiao, F. Li, J.-J. Zhao, and G. Zhao, "A novel double-petal loop element for broadband reflectarray," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 20, 157-163, Feb. 2011.
11. Vita, P. D., A. Freni, and P. Pirinoli, "A novel broadband single layer printed reflectarray antenna," 2007 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1449-1452, 2007. doi:10.1109/APS.2007.4395778
12. Li, Q. Y., Y. C. Jiao, and G. Zhao, "A novel microstrip rectangular patch/ring combination reflectarray element and its application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1119-1122, Oct. 2009.
13. Moustafa, L., et al., "The Phoenix eell: A new reflectarray cell with large bandwidth and rebirth capabilities," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 71-74, Mar. 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2108633
14. Zhao, G., Y. C. Jiao, F. Zhang, and F. S. Zhang, "A subwavelength element for broadband circularly polarized reflectarrays," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 330-333, Oct. 2010.